Voom dish and 61.5 not working

h_greenleaf

Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
hello,
Nearing my wits end here. I have the following on the roof- Superdish (129?) on 110, 119, and 121 (121 can go away as I have OTA). DP34 and the old Voom dish with DPLNB and "I" bracket. When I connect the voom DP lnb to the DP34 I get no signal on that sat for 61.5. The point dish screen always shows Wrong Sat- 110 W or 119. I have checked and re-checkd the Azimuth and elevation and moved the dish by small increments and still gotten nothing. I have read and reread the instructions on Satelliteguys.

What am I missing? Is the focal point on the voom dish wrong and if so how much of the arm do I cut off? is it possible to get a housecall from dishnetwork and NOT have to shell out $100?

my zip is 14610 and I have the following coords- 166-168 degrees and 37.5 to 39 elevation. Clear shot at the sky, NO obstructions. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Looks like you need to change your switch to a dp44. The dp34 can only distibute 3 satallite signals to four receivers. The dp44 can handle four signals.

I disconnected the 121 feed to the dp34. So the dp34 "should" have 110, 119, and 61.5. But it is simply not beeing seen at all by the receiver.

hook the 61.5 line directly to the lnb & box (bypass everything) and get signal. Then hook to DP34.

The LNB on 61/5 is DishPro, right? Legacy won't work (the Voom LNB was Legacy)

Iceberg- I think I tried that. It is a Dual lnb and I tried both of the connections on it. I connected the cable from the lnb to the cable going to the hd receiver (bypassing the dp34) using a barrel connector but I don't know if thats compatible. I thought I saw a very small spark when I made the connection- not sure cus it was REALLY hot on the roof. The receiver still failed on the check switch- always stays red bar with Wrong Sat. I just don't think that the arm length could cause it to see no signal at all- shouldn't it see something like weak signal at least?

I am doing a very similar thing this morning with same results. I'm using a Y adapter to put a DP LNB Dual on the Voom dish, runing that into a Dp21 with other DP21 input being the output of a DP34. Many people here seem to have gotten it to work for Voom channels.

Check switch results (on a 942) show the Superdish sats fine, but sat 4 shows X, X, NC with both switches listed. Details shows "port 4 DP-DualGood Connection, No Signal". Point dish screen gives me 102 signal, but says "Sat 110 West wrong satellite.

Is this telling me everything is good except the Dish pointing? Since I'm using the Y adapter on the Voom dish, do I need to cut the arm to reduce the length? I have the coordinates, and they're the same as the the old Voom bird. Does the Y adapter change the pointing? I read it shifts the dish by 4 degrees, but is that elevation or azimuth?

Things are complicated by the fact that you cannot run only the 61.5 into the 942 - it gives an error message that indicates the same sats are not hooked up and won't let you get to point dish screen.

h_greenleaf said:
Iceberg- I think I tried that. It is a Dual lnb and I tried both of the connections on it. I connected the cable from the lnb to the cable going to the hd receiver (bypassing the dp34) using a barrel connector but I don't know if thats compatible. I thought I saw a very small spark when I made the connection- not sure cus it was REALLY hot on the roof. The receiver still failed on the check switch- always stays red bar with Wrong Sat. I just don't think that the arm length could cause it to see no signal at all- shouldn't it see something like weak signal at least?

You need to clear the switch matrix on the receiver first. Disconnect the satellite input cable, then run a check switch. This will clear the matrix. You can then connect your 61.5 dish directly to the receiver, choose 61.5 from the point dish screen and align. Once you have good alignment on 61.5, connect 119,110 & 61.5 to the DP34, connect the output of the DP34 to the receiver, then run check switch again.
The small spark you saw was from the power supplied to the lnbf from the receiver. When making connections, make sure your receiver is unplugged from the wall outlet. Even when a receiver is off, but still plugged in, it supplies power to the lnbf

sallgdon64 said:
Since I'm using the Y adapter on the Voom dish, do I need to cut the arm to reduce the length?
Yes - around 5" IIRC. The LNB face has to be the same distance from the dish pan as the old one.
sallgdon64 said:
I have the coordinates, and they're the same as the the old Voom bird. Does the Y adapter change the pointing? I read it shifts the dish by 4 degrees, but is that elevation or azimuth?
Yes. Azimuth about 4 degrees, elevation about 1-2. It vaires by location, but remember, these numbers are only a starting point for good aim.

Actually I came up with a better solution. I used an angle grinder to make 2 cuts in the D arm of the Voom dish, then used pliars to bend a nice D shape into it. The LNB mounts firmly in the arm now, with the screw through the arm to hold it in place. Too five minutes or less.

My real problem is to figure out to hook up just 61.5 sat to one tuner on942 so I can AIM the dish. If the other sats are connected via DP21, then I just get "Wrong sat 110 West" when I look for the 61.5 sat. If I disconnect the other sats, when I run check switch, the 942 gives you an error and won't let you off the screen.

I don't have an extra cable handy to run both 61.5 LNB dual outputs to the 942.

Hmm. You've got 2 feeds from the 942 to the DP34, right?

Disconnect them, run Check Switch to clear the switch matrix.

Tie the 61.5 feeds directly to the 942 (all it takes is two barrel connectors), then aim away.

It is also called a feedthru, especially when used in a wall plate. Some play havoc with (attenuate) satellite frequencies but may work fine for normal RF under 1000 MHz or 1 GHz.
-Ken

SimpleSimon said:
Hmm. You've got 2 feeds from the 942 to the DP34, right?

Disconnect them, run Check Switch to clear the switch matrix.

Tie the 61.5 feeds directly to the 942 (all it takes is two barrel connectors), then aim away.

What if you've got from a 942, 2 cables about 10" long into a dpplus seperator then one cable to lnb dish500 Twin?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)