voom dishes popping up everywhere!!

voombot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
i started voom dec03 and there were no other voomers in my neighboor hood, now i see voom dishes everywhere!

I have seen at least 10 new voom dishes in a two mile radius from home. i think when the sub numbers come out they will be substantial.

Wow. Cool neighborhood. I don't think I've seen a single Voom dish other than mine. Of course, I'm not exactly in the high-end part of town. May not be too many HDTVers at all over here, let alone ones who were smart enough ( :p ) to get Voom.

i live in silicon valley, can't help but running into geeks here, you can ask the guy working at safeway how to block TCP ports on your PC or repair FAT32 partitions. :D

one of you voom weasels live a floor down from me. stop by and say hi.

Interesting. I've been looking, but have never seen a Voom dish other than my own - I'm about 10 miles north of Pittsburgh. So years from now - when Voom dominates :clap - I'll be saying I was one of the first!! (Or alternately - if this tanks, I'll be one of the last :river )

maybe cablevision gave charles more time because the sub numbers were begining to pick up.

in response to:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i live in silicon valley, can't help but running into geeks here, you can ask the guy working at safeway how to block TCP ports on your PC or repair FAT32 partitions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

tha't because of the high unemployment rate. Cab drivers and janitors have PhDs

:D

i didnt realize that until the gas station attendent at arco asked if my company was hiring software engineers and that she had years of programming experience. i was like WTF? :confused:

voombot said:
i started voom dec03 and there were no other voomers in my neighboor hood, now i see voom dishes everywhere!

I have seen at least 10 new voom dishes in a two mile radius from home. i think when the sub numbers come out they will be substantial.

I live in Scottsdale, Ariona and see a lot of D* and E*. But there are more and more VOOM dishes visible which I never saw before.

Have We All Done Our Part?

voombot said:

Excellent news voombot! :D I have to agree with you that I think when the new sub numbers come out, there will be pleasant surprises in store! :D

On Super Bowl day I had some friends over to show them what HD looks like. I'm still on cable and the quality is only mediocre, but to someone who hasn't seen HD, it was enough to get them interested...and when I described VOOM's superior quality and quantity, they were bowled over and said they were going to give it a try...even though they have not yet purchased an HD TV! They have been waiting for their current big screen to die. I fully explained the current events, but they, like others I've heard on this board, said "What do you have to lose?

It has occurred to me that when I had VOOM last summer, I didn't throw a party to introduce my friends to VOOM, but I should have! I was too busy marveling at the pretty pictures and trying to get my OTA antenna right.

I think that all the buzz about possibly losing VOOM has definitely generated free PR for VOOM...remember, even bad PR is better than no PR...and probably motivated some subscribers to throw that "last hurrah" Super Bowl party and introduce their friends to the possibilities that exist.

I think the general public has a lot of interest in HD, but very little knowledge, and with the prices coming down, if we get their attention by sharing the pretty pictures, they will probably be enticed to learn more about it, and maybe part with some of those precious $$$$$.

HAVE YOU ALL DONE YOUR PART???
Scope out something that will appeal to your friends, give them a call, and make a night of it! :rainbow @party :yikes :clap Show them the Rolls Royce of HD, then give them a dose of SD or a DVD for comparison. You may be doing us all a big favor! :D ...and even if it doesn't result in a new VOOM subscriber, it will be fun! Can't wait for 2/22 when I have my next party!! @party :D

I have heard of one other Voomer in my city of 50,000 only because he sent me a PM. I have never seen another Voom dish here. As I stated in another thread, I wonder how many of the installers are really committed to making Voom work and how many may be pushing other systems because they make more money from them.

its good to see that its not just me noticing. The word needs to get out that without voom your HDTV is just a TV!! :yes

Vicki said:
Excellent news voombot! :D I have to agree with you that I think when the new sub numbers come out, there will be pleasant surprises in store! :D

On Super Bowl day I had some friends over to show them what HD looks like. I'm still on cable and the quality is only mediocre, but to someone who hasn't seen HD, it was enough to get them interested...and when I described VOOM's superior quality and quantity, they were bowled over and said they were going to give it a try...even though they have not yet purchased an HD TV! They have been waiting for their current big screen to die. I fully explained the current events, but they, like others I've heard on this board, said "What do you have to lose?

It has occurred to me that when I had VOOM last summer, I didn't throw a party to introduce my friends to VOOM, but I should have! I was too busy marveling at the pretty pictures and trying to get my OTA antenna right.

I think that all the buzz about possibly losing VOOM has definitely generated free PR for VOOM...remember, even bad PR is better than no PR...and probably motivated some subscribers to throw that "last hurrah" Super Bowl party and introduce their friends to the possibilities that exist.

I think the general public has a lot of interest in HD, but very little knowledge, and with the prices coming down, if we get their attention by sharing the pretty pictures, they will probably be enticed to learn more about it, and maybe part with some of those precious $$$$$.

Scope out something that will appeal to your friends, give them a call, and make a night of it! :rainbow @party :yikes :clap Show them the Rolls Royce of HD, then give them a dose of SD or a DVD for comparison. You may be doing us all a big favor! :D ...and even if it doesn't result in a new VOOM subscriber, it will be fun! Can't wait for 2/22 when I have my next party!! @party :D

I agree with all of what you say, but the problem with people not having hdtv is money. I happen to be a 52 year old working class single guy that because I am single I have the disposable income to play around with. I bought an hdtv and a front projector and dvd recorders. But my friends and coworkers have family and bills and other obligations to take care of. Their 10 year old color tvs work just fine and they are satisfied with the picture that cable gives them. This may come as news to some here, but there are many people who do not have the spare $1500 or more to go and get an hdtv comparable with what they have now. Yes, they have seen hd at Best Buy and at my house and they are impressed, but not one of them intends to go out and buy a new hdtv. That is the reality check anchor that is slowing down this entire hd improvement.
If wishing made it so, then Voom would prosper and hdtvs would be in every home, but it ain't happening and I don't know how to make people spend their hard earned cash on something that they don't want and do not think they need.
If I was able to accomplish that, then I would be making a ton of more money than I have now.

So VOOM is installing thousands of new customers for $1 each, and losing $3000/sub. :what How long do you think THAT can last?

Vicki said:

Well, I did, I just turned my friend away from other choices he used or had (TWC, DTV, Dish) to Voom now, after he moved to a new apt. :cool:

mdonnelly said:
So VOOM is installing thousands of new customers for $1 each, and losing $3000/sub. :what How long do you think THAT can last?

Where did you get this $3K? Sounds like real BS.

T2k said:
Where did you get this $3K? Sounds like real BS.
Actually, that was just in the 3rd quarter of last year.

"Voom has struggled since its launch in late 2003. As of the third quarter of last year, the service had just 26,000 customers and an operating loss of $75.3 million on revenues of $5.9 million. Merrill Lynch analyst Jessica Reif Cohen estimates that Voom burned through about $477 million in 2004."

Do the math.

I dont see any VoOm dishes around here and I dont expect to see any either seeing how it is made just for HD and people around here are not going to go out and buy themselves an expensive HD television. They will wait until the prices come down forced to get one. Dish Network and DirecTv have pretty well dominated here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)