VOOM DVI and Sony HDTVs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
pdqbobe said:
Genewildershair : I guess I should have said I use the Vivid mode inwhich I calibrated with the DE disk on this mode. I leave the other modes at factory settings as a reference point. I agree the vivid mode in the factory mode without any ajustments looks too dark with enhancement problems. Just wanted to clarify what and why I used the Vivid mode calibated with DE disk . HD=Voom

SVM cannot be reduced or disabled using just the settings available to the user, that's more of a fix thru the service menu on your set. But that aside, you are enjoying your picture, and have it calibrated to your specific liking! And that's what really matters here, now isn't it? I'm happy that your happy! :D

Follow-Up on DVI Connection Issue

So I had some time this weekend to pull the Voom Receiver from my A/V rack and install the 10ft DVI cable that came with the unit. As reported before I need a 15ft or 5meter cable to reach my HDTV and had opted for Pacific Cable 5m dual link DVI cable.

Anyway, my previous setup with the 5m cable only worked when the receiver resolution was drop down to 480p/480i. This of course will not do. So I pulled the receiver out, placed it closer to the tv and installed the 10ft cable and wa-la it worked. So it appears that's there nothing wrong with the Receiver or (more importantly) my Sony HDTV.

I'll have to return the cable and maybe go DVI-Less.

Anyone using a 5m cable might give me a heads up on the make or manufacturer of that cable.

Thanks in advance.

One more thing, I visited the AVS forum for months before buying my tv, just trying to learn more about the technology. After getting the tv I also picked up many, many pointers and info on how to adjust the set. For those brave enough you can enter the Service Menu on a Sony unit by using the remote with a combination of input keys. This is not for the light hearted but you can TWEAK the factory settings so you can have an outstanding picture without spending the money getting your tv ISF'd. As GeneWildershair noted, once tweaked you'll never leave the Pro mode setting.

Anyone using a 5m DVI cable?

thanks again,

nc2

notcat2 said:
So I had some time this weekend to pull the Voom Receiver from my A/V rack and install the 10ft DVI cable that came with the unit. As reported before I need a 15ft or 5meter cable to reach my HDTV and had opted for Pacific Cable 5m dual link DVI cable.

Anyway, my previous setup with the 5m cable only worked when the receiver resolution was drop down to 480p/480i. This of course will not do. So I pulled the receiver out, placed it closer to the tv and installed the 10ft cable and wa-la it worked. So it appears that's there nothing wrong with the Receiver or (more importantly) my Sony HDTV.

I'll have to return the cable and maybe go DVI-Less.

Anyone using a 5m cable might give me a heads up on the make or manufacturer of that cable.

Thanks in advance.

One more thing, I visited the AVS forum for months before buying my tv, just trying to learn more about the technology. After getting the tv I also picked up many, many pointers and info on how to adjust the set. For those brave enough you can enter the Service Menu on a Sony unit by using the remote with a combination of input keys. This is not for the light hearted but you can TWEAK the factory settings so you can have an outstanding picture without spending the money getting your tv ISF'd. As GeneWildershair noted, once tweaked you'll never leave the Pro mode setting.

Anyone using a 5m DVI cable?

thanks again,

nc2

yeah it does take some courage to finally get into that service menu and start playing, but once you get to learning what fixes what, and start seeing good results, it's all worth it! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)