VOOM DVR Preview Video now ONLINE!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Nice video, Scott! Or is this Ilya's work?

This is basically the same demo I saw back in May at the HE 2004 show in New York, with a few minor added features. The big question that I'm sure is on everyone's mind is:

WHEN?

Yep, nice video, thanks for putting that up here! Looks like a great product for guys like us, but I don't know if it will compel a million people to sign up. Still, I applaud Voom for the bold move. It will be fun - no question about that!

Nope I shot the video. :) I was actually surprised how well it came out becasue I forgot to bring my MIC, so all sound was via the camcorders mic. :)

Yes....wonderful video.....but it means absolutely nothing until we finally get a date. Good job though. It was really nice having direct coverage of the convention.

Some features look nice but one thing that worries me is the "thin clients", it doesnt say for sure that they can actually replace a real receiver and watch live tv just like a real receiver.

I think he said that the thin clients can access one of the two tuners, or stream down a program at the time. However if a thin client is using a tuner to watch live TV, then the tuner cannot record while watching something else, or, it bumps the thin client.

So it has limitations, but 2 DVRs for 4 TVs instead of 4 full STBs is an option that some people will like, am I right in how this works?

jagouar said:
Some features look nice but one thing that worries me is the "thin clients", it doesnt say for sure that they can actually replace a real receiver and watch live tv just like a real receiver.
The clients themselves don't have tuners. The video stream comes from the server to the client and it originates either from the hard drive in the DVR or from one of its four tuners. So, you can watch up to four different live programs at the same time: 2 OTA and 2 satellite.

And as Dvlos pointed out, you can add an extra server: double the number of tuners for your house and double the disk storage at the same time.

"For the purpose of this demo, just for you guys out there, we're using one HDTV and two SDTV's, standard definition TV's. Obviously, when this ships in '05 this will be full HD everywhere."
"Initially it's probably going to have a 160 gig hard drive, it's really to hit a cost point."
These qoutes really make me wonder if it is going to be quite a while before this is a sellable product.

"Leveraging this IP based platform, Voom is also going to be enabling other features in '05."
Will the coax throughout the house be able to function as the connection for this?

It looks pretty sweet though, regardless of when it finally comes out.

I wanted to believe I didn't hear the '05 comment... *sigh* I'm guessing I'll be using my cable DVR long before then. Ah, Voom. I loved you best.

madpoet said:
I wanted to believe I didn't hear the '05 comment... *sigh* I'm guessing I'll be using my cable DVR long before then. Ah, Voom. I loved you best.
On the bright side, October 1st is technically FY '05 in the business world. Maybe that is what he was reffering to? :)

wasch_24 said:
On the bright side, October 1st is technically FY '05 in the business world. Maybe that is what he was reffering to? :)
Let's hope. Anyway this does look like a very flexible setup. Thanks Scott for the video.

Again, Motorola could have a working DVR ready before then, judging from the demo, the software looks set, probably just continual beta testing on it as it seems it can do just about all they set out to do. They may not have everything in place to have installers come out with Ucentric boxes ready to wire your house if need be. Also maybe all these dates we are hearing have some truth. Maybe in November the DVR hardware with software will be unveiled, and sent to a select few for more testing with actual shipping to occur in early '05.

Voom's gearing up for MPG4/WM9 distribution AND DVR, AND Whole House, AND Elliptical dishes all from now to '05. Looks like they are going to slam everything at once?

"Hi I'm you're Voom tech today, Loopy, I have your modules, your DVR, and your elliptical dish!"

You have got some fat pipes on your web site. I downloaded this 19.4MB file in under 28 seconds. DAMN! I know I have really fat pipes, but I normally don't get those kinds of speeds unless I am downloading from Microsoft, Norton or somebody huge in tech like them.

Initially it's probably going to have a 160 gig hard drive, it's really to hit a cost point.

Did I hear him say elsewhere something to the effect of "can access music (or pictures) from you PC's hard drive"? Will we be able to provide additional storage space for recording on our terabyte servers? That would be too good to be true.

oddwunn said:
Did I hear him say elsewhere something to the effect of "can access music (or pictures) from you PC's hard drive"? Will we be able to provide additional storage space for recording on our terabyte servers? That would be too good to be true.
Yes he said that...it makes sense since it is IP based.

Ehhh... he said music and pictures. He didn't say anything about video. And if they really did take out firewire, then they certainly aren't going to let you copy off to outside storage.

I still want to know what the transport medium will be? coax, cat5e, wi-fi? how will it get to the other rooms. Course if you really want this to work as they want it to, you must have a receiver and unit in EACH room.... your rental cost just quadrupled. good way for Voom to get money

Augurr said:
I still want to know what the transport medium will be? coax, cat5e, wi-fi? how will it get to the other rooms. Course if you really want this to work as they want it to, you must have a receiver and unit in EACH room.... your rental cost just quadrupled. good way for Voom to get money
The transport medium in the demo display was phone-line (rj-11).

You must have missed something in the last few months. The multi-room distribution is via 'thin clients' not standard STB's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)