VOOM gone OTA here

Help

Dog6869 said:
H E L P my OTA channels are not working !!!!!!!!! Only Channel 4 WWLTV- D Works and the rest of the channels can not be tuned in. The box in the bed room was disconnected when i got CRAPPY Twc cable.... I even did the OTA channel scan.. Do I need to hook the other box back or what.. Any kind help with this would be helpful.TWC on has two HD local channels..
Any kinda help with this will be helpfull

martin21 said:
I may have screwed up. After VOOM satellite went dead I did a Factory Reset...
Big mistake! There are no known ways of re-authorizing your box. Authorization is done via satellite, and the satellite is dead...

Do not do Factory Resets!

Dog6869 said:
H E L P my OTA channels are not working !!!!!!!!! Only Channel 4 WWLTV- D Works and the rest of the channels can not be tuned in. The box in the bed room was disconnected when i got CRAPPY Twc cable.... I even did the OTA channel scan.. Do I need to hook the other box back or what.. Any kind help with this would be helpful.TWC on has two HD local channels..
I don't know the details of your setup, but I suspect that your antenna is no longer getting power (DC Voltage). Perhaps power was supplied by the other box...

amarko said:
Dumb question I know, but what is a factory reset
You don't want to know!!! :D

Still getting my OTA's thru the Voom box, but when I got home from work last night I noticed that the PG was going the "(no info)" route. Hope that just means it's not getting needed info from the satellite, not a sign that the box is about to crap out.

That's perfectly normal.......

Your box no longer has the satellite guide. Mine hasn't had it since Sunday morning. I've been having to do my channel surfing blind-sightedly.

Help!!

:eek: Join Date: May 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had Voom and got Direct TV on Friday the 29th at which time I disconnected my Voom receiver.I soon discovered that,as you all probably know,my locals are not in hi-def from Direct TV.I waited until today to attempt to hook up the Voom box to get OTA hi-def whilst leaving my Direct TV dish connected via separate cable.I have the Channel Master 3010 installed and of course the Voom dish was removed last week prior to the service shutting down and it never had a phone line connected to it,so it is hopefully still active.I have a separate coax line to the Channel Master.Where should I attach the coax from the OTA antenna on the rear of the Voom receiver?The OTA antenna also has the external power source attached.I have tried connecting the voom box in every way that I can think of without the desired result.I would like to know if I should connect it using component cables (preferred),SVHS or even coax to my Sammy DLP.I am using my DVI input on the set for my Direct TV connection.Will SVHS or coax carry the 1080i signal?I apologize in advance for being such a dummy!I would be very grateful if any of you knowledgeable ex-Voomers walk me through all the connections-both in and out .i also noticed that when I turn on the Voom box I always get the red satellite dish icon and never the green after the unit runs through it's little start up routine.

As of this morning...still getting OTA but now without any PG info...
Never disconnected anything, not even the phone line and Caller ID still works...!!!

lilyarbie said:
Your box no longer has the satellite guide. Mine hasn't had it since Sunday morning. I've been having to do my channel surfing blind-sightedly.

Ummmmmm......They have this thing called a TV Guide. It really helps out so you dont have to channel surf blind-sightedly...

I know that......

Yes, I know there is TV guide, but there is no listing for certain digital channels that I have. Some I have are independent stations. TV guide doesn't list individual independent stations.

hal26 This may help you.....

Your DVI connection is the best you can get to go to your DLP. You can purchase a switch box for this connector if you decide to use it on both. Component is the second best connector out there. You can achieve all resolutions currently possible with either DVI or component. The only drawback for you using component is that the digital video signal is being converted to analog and your television has to convert this back to digital to view it. Component is best used on tube televisions or CRT projections whose internal workings (i.e. cathode-ray tube) is actually analog. Any connector below that of component will not achieve even 480 interlaced! S-video is at best 400 lines of resolution. I've got an analog 35 inch (not talking about internal workings but signal wise in comparison to an HD-Ready set) and I use component on it to get the best picture quality. I realize it may be only 80 extra lines I'm seeing because my television can't do more than that capacity, but I do also enjoy more vibrant colors and contrasting. Another thing I forgot to mention is that S-video and other connectors below that will only do interlaced. DVI, component, and variations of DVI (i.e. HDMI) will only do progressive scanning signals.

Okay, now to your receiver.......The only connector you'll need to connect to your antenna line is on the far left if you're looking on the front of the unit or the far right if you're looking on the back of the unit. It's a single coax connector that is built in the little box that is plugged into the receiver. I'm not talking about the diplexor. I'm talking about the small antenna cartridge. You'll know what it is because it is grey with a little finger hold on the box to remove it. That's the only connection you would want to make unless you want to connect your phone line to see who is calling while your watching your OTA channels through the on-screen caller I.D. feature. The only connection I have on my unit is my component cables and my antenna line. I decided to remove the satellite line, since it serves no purpose now. It does get signal strength (about 72 decibels to be exact) but 0% signal quality. Of course in the world of signals, strength means nothing without quality to back it up. Anyways, that's all I have to say and I hope this helps you out.

As I said in earlier posts......

These receivers do read PSIP data but doesn't display them. Well, today I did find out that they do display a tiny portion of the stream. That tiny portion only tells the call-sign of the station you have scanned in When displaying the channel number and name on the screen. This is, however, the only part of the PSIP data that the receiver displays. So, my thinking is this, if this small portion of that data signal is allowed to be displayed, how much harder is it to display the other features of the signal (i.e. Electronic Guide Data)?

Thanks a bunch for all your kind help.I will try again.Should I leave the Channel Master separate inline amp (model 3038) connected or will the box send power to the 3010 antenna thru the coax? This is one of the hook-ups I have tried to no avail;dedicated coax from ant. to booster amp to the OTA removeable plastic "cartridge" as you specified,then component cables to component 1 input on DLP.(I tried component 2 as well) powered up Voom box (after plugging and unplugging as well as pushing reset button just in case) then turning on TV set and trying all sources,comp. 1,2 DVI etc.Zip-NADA,nothing.This has got to be something simple............... :(

While the Locals that come from the Direct TV satellite are not in High Def, your box should be able to receive them. (I don't know what model you have, but I have 2 that do) You will need to hook up your antenna to your Direc TV receiver. Unfortunately the installers do not hook up OTA for you. The Satellite will provide the guide info for your local digital channells the same as voom did.

hal26 said:
:eek: Join Date: May 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had Voom and got Direct TV on Friday the 29th at which time I disconnected my Voom receiver.I soon discovered that,as you all probably know,my locals are not in hi-def from Direct TV.I waited until today to attempt to hook up the Voom box to get OTA hi-def whilst leaving my Direct TV dish connected via separate cable.I have the Channel Master 3010 installed and of course the Voom dish was removed last week prior to the service shutting down and it never had a phone line connected to it,so it is hopefully still active.I have a separate coax line to the Channel Master.Where should I attach the coax from the OTA antenna on the rear of the Voom receiver?The OTA antenna also has the external power source attached.I have tried connecting the voom box in every way that I can think of without the desired result.I would like to know if I should connect it using component cables (preferred),SVHS or even coax to my Sammy DLP.I am using my DVI input on the set for my Direct TV connection.Will SVHS or coax carry the 1080i signal?I apologize in advance for being such a dummy!I would be very grateful if any of you knowledgeable ex-Voomers walk me through all the connections-both in and out .i also noticed that when I turn on the Voom box I always get the red satellite dish icon and never the green after the unit runs through it's little start up routine.

Arrrrrrgggh!

Vicki said:
It's only his 3rd post!

DON'T DO IT amarko!! Vicki :)

Alas, me'lady! He be askin' bout' things better left....... Undisturbed. He be warned, Arrrrrrrgh!

Success!

Eureka! It works!I now have HiDef OTA with my Voom STB 550.Dedicated coax from the antenna to the powered booster to the plastic gizmo on the right side (rear) of the STB.I then reloaded the locals into memory and presto...Hi Def! I ran component cables/rca audio cables to the Sammy DLP.Life is good..... :D

Vicki said:
Oh now, Ilya, that's a little bit mean...You should have gone ahead and told him NOT TO DO IT!! It's only his 3rd post!

DON'T DO IT amarko!! Vicki :)
It was meant as a joke! :yes
And I hoped someone else would answer the question, but since no one else have, here we go:

amarko said:
Dumb question I know, but what is a factory reset
amarko, the box has a hidden menu that among other options has one called "Factory Reset". It basically returns the box to its factory settings, and de-authorizes it completely. In the past it was possible to re-authorize the box by calling VOOM customer service. But now, since VOOM is gone, there is no way to authorize it again.

So, whatever you do, do not do the Factory Reset!