voom has a new promotion

I called and asked for the promo deal and was told "no, it's just for new customers." I've had Voom about 3 months now. I was willing to extend my commitment another 6 months to get two months of free va va voom. Oh well, maybe it depends on the CSR you get, but this one said he has gotten a few calls on this and asked his supervisor and was told no dice.

:-(

/Sean

jbcheshire said:
I sent a question over to V* yesterday asking about their HD-DVR and this is what they replied back with:

Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

We are actively working on and testing our HD-DVR, and we expect to release it in the first half of 2005. However, its exact release date and pricing have not been set at this time. The VOOM HD-DVR will be able to record in both high definition and standard definition. It will also have multiple tuners, allowing you to record a program while watching a live program or one that you’ve previously recorded!

In the mean time, there are several commercially available, VOOM-compatible alternatives to record your favorite programs. TiVo and other commercially available DVR's are compatible with VOOM and can be used to record your favorite standard definition programming. If you are interested in recording high definition programming, a D-VHS machine will allow you to do so. However, D-VHS does not provide the full functionality of a DVR.

Thank you for your interest in VOOM. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail us. When you are ready to get VOOM in your home, please give us a call at 1-866-931-VOOM.
Danny D
VOOM Sales Representative

A D-VHS recorder is not a solution for recording HD from VOOM because it records MPEG-2 digital only via firewire, which the VOOM STB does not have. A W-VHS recorder can do the job via component, but those are very expensive and may be obsolete.

riffjim4069 said:
As far as the CSRs...perhaps they should hire another 60 TYORKs instead!

I second this. If there was something like Voom installer of the year, I really think he should get it. TYORK seems always willing to help as much as he can. Except for 1 person, never had a problem with the installers (had a few bad boxes in the early days), but TYORK's help is really great.

techweb said:
A D-VHS recorder is not a solution for recording HD from VOOM because it records MPEG-2 digital only via firewire, which the VOOM STB does not have. A W-VHS recorder can do the job via component, but those are very expensive and may be obsolete.

Thanks for the info!
I did tell the guy that I was only interested in a HD-DVR, so the VHS was out PERIOD...

Guess I will have to wait a few more months before i will be going over to V*.

I called voom 3 times to try to get in on the new promotion. I have been a voom member for quite a while and not on a contract. All I wanted was 1 receiver to be installed for $1 and was willing to commit for 6 months. No, no, no was the answer (it felt like a capital one commercial) - only new customers. Their promotion for current customers is 2 months of va va voom for free, and no commitments or $49 to install up to 3 receivers, 2 months of va va voom for free, with a 6 month commitment. I asked if I cancelled, how long would it be before I was considered a new customer. They said that once I cancelled and after they pick up the equipment, I would then be an "ex-member" and would then qualify for new promotions. I asked them what the logic was to make me go to these lengths to avoid paying $49 to install 1 receiver. I told them it would cost them more for me to cancel and resign up again, and they agreed, but said their hands are tied.

I don't watch the voom exclusives, so I found a pretty good deal on cox cable for people ditching satellite. HD-DVR and Expanded Cable (for 2 boxes) for $47.88 per month for 1 year, no commitments, and absolutely free installation. If you stay on after one year, then it's $79.60 per month. For $79.60 per month, it's not worth ditching voom just for the hd-dvr. But for $47.88, which is CHEAPER than what I pay for voom, it is definitely worth it. My local cox offers ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, Discovery, Universal HD, INHD1, and INHD2. The only HD channel I don't get that I watched on Voom (but only ocassionally) is TNT. Well worth the switch for me. And the best part is if I don't like it, I can cancel anytime and come back to voom (will look into only after they get their promised DVR) as a new customer and get the best promotions. Thanks voom! It was great while it lasted. Oh, and cox is able to come out as early as TOMORROW to install!!! Voom's taking up to 3 weeks just to come get their receiver.

I did call Voom a few hours after my install and asked about upgrading to VaVa Voom with the two months of VaVa for free. CSR took care of it on the spot. No additional commitment required.

hi, im new here, first time posting. i just ordered it on monday, saw the new offer on tuesday, called that nite and they said i would get it since i wasnt 'activated' yet.

kewl thing is they scheduled me for a march 1st install. i got a call from the installer this morning and said when he got the equipment, which could be thurs or early fri morning, he'd come out and install it then. so im hoping to be watching hd all weekend! ill let you guys know how the install went.

oh and they asked me if i wanted the new dish they have that is able to recieve there new channels that are going live next month. of course i said yes since it was free....duh...who would say no.

droolman7 said:
oh and they asked me if i wanted the new dish they have that is able to recieve there new channels that are going live next month. of course i said yes since it was free....duh...who would say no.
:welcome WELCOME!

When you get that dish installed take a camera shot of it and upload it. I'm sure everyone here would be interested in seeing it.

JL

Well I am thinking of adding Voom back again. I had it for about 6 months last year as an addition to D*. The tivo's do get you spoiled especially the HDtivo.
Does anyone have any idea if this current promotion will continue past 3/1? If not, any inside info on the next promo and any new time-line on the DVR? I am planning to wait till 3/1 to make my decision.
I do miss some of the Voom programing.

The new dish would be interesting news. I called before my install and was essentialy told that there is currently no such animal.

Same here. Have a fourth install scheduled for tomorrow (got a signal of between 82 and 84 after first two install,.but after any rain at all the signal falls way down and never comes back to over 60-71 signal strength. After the last installer left, he left with the signal at 60 even though it was at 67 when he arrived).

With this experience (I have had the 24inch dish from day one) I obviously was interested to know if there is a new or different dish that might work for me. I too was told there is no new dish being used and the new programming will all be at the same sat location in March.

I am very interested tin resolving this question since with the three installs and bad experience with the last installer (Tom in Los Angeles) it seems my days with VOOM may be numbered. Funny thing is I have a 10ft C-Band dish on my roof that noboby at VOOM knows how to try to use to get me a better signal strength.

Any thoughts ?

I really like VOOM and would like to keep the service since its selection of HD programming and PQ in my opinion is far SUPERIOR to DirecTV HD programming which I also currently have.

maybe it just depends on what csr you get to talk to. ill find out hopefully later today or tomm if the installer calles me. if i get a diff dish than the reg old 18" looking one ill defintly post a pic. my only worries is that voom doesnt send the equip to the installer on time and i have to wait longer.

kinda funny i have an installer thats anxious to put it in.

I just got upgraded from an 18" to a 24" installer wanted to put a 30" on but voom doesn't supply those and he'd have to get it from a secondary source. The Voom/Installs inc. guy said that voom would reimburse the installer for it but when the installer actually came all he brought was a 24". The 24" just barely fit (hits the side of my roof) so I'm glad that I didn't get that 30".

My 1st post , thinking about getting Voom so I'll have to do some reading here. The March 1 deadline is another factor, anyone know if thats set in stone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)