Voom hd movies coming may 1st

Movie channels are my favorite channels. But I have to say that I've been very disappointed in the World Cinema channel. When I first heard about it I thought it was going to be one of my 5 favorite channels, instead I almost never watch it. I wouldn't even care if it went away.

I feel the exact same way. I haven't watched it at all. I'm sure I have missed a few good films here or there, but I am relatively familiar with foreign films, and I don't think they've ever shown anything I've heard of...not when I was checking the listings, anyway.

Maybe it's good for the hardcore. There are some people who will watch anything that's in a foreign language- kinda like the people in the 70's who "only watch PBS." Then there's people like the guy above who thinks "words are hard". (I'm paraphrasing, of course.) Me, I'm in the category of people who want to watch ANY interesting movie, no matter what language it's in.

Sidetrack- After watching No Country For Old Men when it came out, I was so impressed with Javier Bardem, that I tuned to Carne Tremula (Live Flesh) one night and got totally sucked into it. I don't normally care for Almodovar films, but this one was great! It's on one of the movie channels a lot- maybe Showtime- so you should check it out...unless you think "words are hard".

I couldn't agree more with everyone's worry about WorldCinema HD going away. I see WorldCinema HD and FilmFest HD will repeat the same movies about 3 times a day... it would be nice if they could just combine these two channels.

You really can't get foreign flicks on Blu-ray yet (especially catalog titles) and you won't see these movies on any mainstream movie channels. So it's either upconvert DVD or HD transfers on WorldCinema HD. For all the people complaining about no new HD, they probably have never even turned on this channel and have been missing out on some of the greatest films from some of the most revolutionary directors. Sad to see it go.

oh... and I missed LIVE FLESH... would have liked to seen it!

I couldn't agree more with everyone's worry about WorldCinema HD going away. I see WorldCinema HD and FilmFest HD will repeat the same movies about 3 times a day... it would be nice if they could just combine these two channels.

You really can't get foreign flicks on Blu-ray yet (especially catalog titles) and you won't see these movies on any mainstream movie channels. So it's either upconvert DVD or HD transfers on WorldCinema HD. For all the people complaining about no new HD, they probably have never even turned on this channel and have been missing out on some of the greatest films from some of the most revolutionary directors. Sad to see it go.

oh... and I missed LIVE FLESH... would have liked to seen it!
I like you. So many people will never truly get what you're talking about.

Not a foreign film buff, and I hate subtitles, but I got hooked into watching Fellini's "Juliet of the Spirits" yesterday. Visually, it blew me away. In Hollywood films, only Kubrick comes close to Fellini.

That is so funny. I sat down to have a beer after work and let my mind wander and I ended up with this movie on. I was fascinated with the cinematic exploration that was taking place and the outrageous costumes. The directing was clearly "beatnik" - pre-hippie. I loved it. However, I couldn't watch all of it. I had to tend to some "honey-do's" after a brew.

Movie channels are my favorite channels. But I have to say that I've been very disappointed in the World Cinema channel. When I first heard about it I thought it was going to be one of my 5 favorite channels, instead I almost never watch it. I wouldn't even care if it went away.

I will be disappointed if World Cinema content spills over into Filmfest.

It would certainly help if their movie descriptions were that (actual descriptions). Country of origin would be nice too.

I so gave Voom a chance. A year ago I could find many movies and programs that made it interesting. Not anymore (IMO) so I killed my Voom feed and save $10 a month.

I feel the exact same way. I haven't watched it at all. I'm sure I have missed a few good films here or there, but I am relatively familiar with foreign films, and I don't think they've ever shown anything I've heard of...not when I was checking the listings, anyway.

A series of Fellini films, French classics including "Eyes Without a Face," Kieslowsky's Three Colors ("Blue," "White," "Red") trilogy, "Purple Noon," "White Nights," "The Taste of Others." There's a great film called "I'm Not Scared" that aired recently. These are all notable releases, not just films people watch because they're foreign. For anyone with a passion for film, this channel has some of the most exciting HD programming available. Don't dismiss it so quickly.

dennispap,

When I posted I said I was not sure if this subject had been mentioned before. I made a mistake by starting it in a new thread. This news sucks because I like the foreign movies. Sorry for the duplicate thread dennispap.

Last edited:
One of my fav channels. I have lots of their movies in archive. I hate to see it go for hollywood type movies. Hopefully those collection of movies which I missed will air in filmfest. This channel was an excellent an idea because these are movies no where else to be found.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)