Voom HD vs Direct TV HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DrWho

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
I will give the quality and of course the quantity edge to Voom.

The quality of the HD on Voom is slightly better, but not by much. And HDNET seems to provide some of the best quality on DirectTV, Discovery a close second. Have not seen enough HD from ESPN to really judge yet.

But the edge is just barely tipped toward Voom.

I think the SD on Direct TV is just fine. As well as on Voom. No really edge here in my forgiving eyes.

I think the Program Guide on D* is a bit better as well, much easier for instance to select a program to watch later, and have it switch to that channel. Also much easier to change channels by punching the buttons, with Voom you had to be pretty quick.

And with the cost savings going to D*, more SD Channels and a decent HD package for now, I am happy to go with D*.

Voom, I liked yeah, but your growing pains still need to be ironed out.

Yeah, but with the first 6 months of HD free, first 3 months of HD free, I will end up saving money in about 8 months, at current Voom prices.

If voom prices go up JAN 1, a bit quicker.

I dunno. I guess it depends on the packages that you're comparing. For me I am on the Voom base package plus HBO, currently $55/month plus the STB rental, call it $10. Let us say that after the rates go up I'll be playing $70/month plus a $5 STB rental to Voom for the same package.

The equivalent DirecTV package would be $40 (Total Choice with locals) + $12 HBO, plus $11 for HD (after 6 months). That is $63/month before taxes or $12/month cheaper. All with a 12-month commitment.

I'd have to eat the $299 start-up cost for the receiver, so even after 6 months of free DirecTV HD I'd take 19 months to break even, within which time with Voom I'd likely be able to rent an HD-DVR (instead of paying $995 for the DirecTV's HD-TiVo).

For me it isn't economical to consider a switch.

On top of that I enjoy the Voom-only programming such as Rave and WorldSport, and am looking forward to the new slate of Independent films which will apparently start coming to the Cinema channels (to say nothing of my opinions of Rupert Murdoch).

YMMV.

CDH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)