VOOM in Oklahoma

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smitzinok

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Oklahoma
Hello All!
I've ordered Voom and have an install date of 4 June. by Morris Electronics
here in Oklahoma anyone have any inputs on them?
Living in Southwest Oklahoma seems like the stone age sometimes! sooo far from everything
OTA is probably a pipe dream, but I can't wait for the HD
Hope eveything goes ok
I must say the forum is awesome!
Ive been reading posts for the past 3 days! Tons of info
Thanks Everyone

Welcome to the forum!
I don't see any Oklahoma threads in VOOM "In Your Area" Forum.
Would you like to start one?

Edit: Done!

I ordered VOOM and I live in Chickasha, OK. I am supposed to get installed tomorrow (5/24). The install company for me is Elite Digital Solutions out of Elk City. So far they seem pretty reliable...They were waiting on a Voom kit and got one Sat. Supposed to be installed wed but they called me sat and asked me about tomorrow....

I am so excited I can hardly wait....let you know how it went.

vooming in Tulsa

Smitz,

I'm a Tulsa Voomer, and had my install on March 16. My installers were J Corp Installers, a group here in Tulsa sub'ed by HQ2. I did not set my expectations too high, but I would classify the install as good. There were a couple of things I would have had them do different, but my setup was pretty straight forward so my only issues were cosmetic details.

According to them, I was about the 8th Voom install they had ever done (yes, that scared me :no ), but it really went with out any hitches. They were familiar with the equipment, had no problem pulling in a signal, the STB worked fine (and much better now since the software update), and they were efficient (probably out of here in 90 minutes).

Maybe this will give you a little bit of insight into what to expect. I imagine your installers will have at least a few under their belt by now.

install update with pics

Another storm last night and lost signal when It started raining.
I was expecting a loss during a big storm, but what about when its just rain?
Is this normal or "rain fade" Any info would be appreciated.
In my other post:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=15964&referrerid=5987
I was wondering should I give up on OTA because of the distance?
Or should I start calling V* to get an upgrade? I don't want to waste their or my time if its not gonna work. Installer said it aint becaus of the low power output of the stations?

install photo link:
http://photos.yahoo.com/smitz@swbell.net

Morris Elec.

This company took over 4 days to get to me McAlester and when they did they hooked up fast and got it started. Voom off the satallite is good but they didn't have the correct connection between the voom box and my set (Mitsubshi 1080i) so it is not quite as good as it shoud be, still better then cable. The installers said that I could buy the part in any Radio Shack, when I went to RS they looked at me like I was from a different planet and sugested I try some elet. shop in Tulsa. I have no OTA sig whatsoever, the installers response was give it a day to warm up and it should be just fine a line right up there with trust me from a used car salesman. VOOM says they will get a good tech down here the end of july and fix every thing so I will have over a month where I will have to keep cable. This is not starting our relationship off very well.

chuckl said:
This company took over 4 days to get to me McAlester and when they did they hooked up fast and got it started. Voom off the satallite is good but they didn't have the correct connection between the voom box and my set (Mitsubshi 1080i) so it is not quite as good as it shoud be, still better then cable. The installers said that I could buy the part in any Radio Shack, when I went to RS they looked at me like I was from a different planet and sugested I try some elet. shop in Tulsa. I have no OTA sig whatsoever, the installers response was give it a day to warm up and it should be just fine a line right up there with trust me from a used car salesman. VOOM says they will get a good tech down here the end of july and fix every thing so I will have over a month where I will have to keep cable. This is not starting our relationship off very well.
I live in Stillwater and I had Morris do my install as well. They also did my antenna upgrade. I also have a Mitsu TV. I use the component cables from the Voom box to my Yamaha receiver and then out to my TV (lets me hook up my Xbox as well). If you have an older Mitsu (mine is 2000) the HDTV input on the back will not work with Voom, even if you get the adapter b/c it is not HDCP compliant. If your guy came from Norman, we had the same installer. HE told me some of the same things.

What OTA antenna did they install? It looks like you are pretty far away from everything except for KOET (PBS) in Eufala. You should be receiving that. A good website to take a look at is http://www.hdtvok.com There is a station matrix listing for almost all of the DMA's in Oklahoma. It lists the power and tower height each station is broadcasting at. Both of those factors make a big difference in OTA. Which DMA are you mapped to? Tulsa? If that is the case, you are going to have a difficult time with OTA. It looks like Ft. Smith will be a better bet for you. Hope this helps... feel free to private message me if you need any help, antenna reccomendations, etc.

smitzinok said:
Hello All!
I've ordered Voom and have an install date of 4 June. by Morris Electronics
here in Oklahoma anyone have any inputs on them?
Living in Southwest Oklahoma seems like the stone age sometimes! sooo far from everything
OTA is probably a pipe dream, but I can't wait for the HD
Hope eveything goes ok
I must say the forum is awesome!
Ive been reading posts for the past 3 days! Tons of info
Thanks Everyone
Hi...just joined Forum. Saw your message and wondering how your experience with Morris and Voom turned out? I got Voom a month ago. Had Morris due the install and have had nothing but trouble since. I live in Enid and have received nothing but pixilated pictures over 30 to 40 percent of my viewing time.
I have had 3 different receivers and promises but no shows from Morris.
Have you had trouble I wonder
Appreciate reply.
Ed

I'm in Northeast Okla and am very satisfied with the reception here. Perhaps it's an antenna aiming issue, or a coax problem. I believe I am getting a high 90's signal strength.

I live out east of Tulsa near Inola & am thinking about seeing if i can get good reception with a Voom install. Can anyone suggest a good installer besides the Sears guys. I want a pro who knows what he is doing. I'm less than 10 miles from the cluster of the most important OTA transmission towers, although i do live out in the boonies & have huge trees & wooded acreage between me & the towers.First off i'm gonna try the Zenith Silver Sensor for OTA, then go from there if that doesn't work. Possibly with a winegard 1000 , Channel Master 4228 or a XG42 YAGI. I'm all ears if anyone close to this area has any input on this topic. Best Regards, Jerico1

I finally made a choice, Voom for me!

Well after studying long & hard i ordered the Voom service tonight, before the "good deal on 3 receivers ends". Not here to necessarily flame any other service, BUT, gotta say, Dish needs to appreciate their ongoing customers , instead of giving the new subs the better deals on equipment. That just did a slow burn on me as well as a lot of others according to all the posts i've read here on satellite guys & the avs forums. I know i'm taking a chance on Voom & Mr. Dolan pulling something off, but it's only 1 buck to take that chance, no big deal. In 6 months i can do whatever i want. MPEG4 is on the way for all & all the receivers will have to be upgraded then. I bought a HDTV for HD, & as of right now Voom has the most HD. Good luck Mr. Dolan, I hope you can pull it off. Dish, i've enjoyed your service but it's time you woke up & really take a good hard look at the customers you're losing because of your policies & no regard for the customers you already have, especially in the regard to upgrades . My Dish 500 receiver is ancient after all these years & with all the new eqpt. i now have & for a csr to tell me i'm not elgible for an upgrade was a little too much for me to comprehend.
Adios Dish ! Regards Jerico1

I was in the same boat as you. I've been a Dish customer for 8 years. I went with Dish because they where the only sattelite company to have WGN.
(Go CUBS!) I also have a model 5000 and just wanted to upgrade to the 6000.
I did not want a PVR or a $500 fee for the new receiver.
It was time for the devorce! I can't beleive I did this with baseball season just around the corner.
I had Voom installed on February 21, 2005 and haven't looked back.
I'm having a little promblem with my locals but with a little work I should get most of them.
I'll see what happens in the next six months.

David Camp
Sand Springs, OK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)