Voom in Vegas problems and Locals question

Sheff

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
I just got Voom installed on the 24th. It was fine until yesterday when heavy rains came down. I have a 24 inch dish mounted on the roof. When standing on the roof I have a clear line of sight with the towers on the two different mountains and I am less than 15 miles from them. The installer pointed the OTA at the midpoint between the two towers.

VoomDish.jpg

I get all locals except UPN. Does anyone here in Vegas get UPN?

Anyhow, last night about midnight the picture went out. Now it's all choppy with artifacts and sound is intermittent. OTA is fine.

When it was working, picture was fantastic. I called the installers who have scheduled me for a repair call on Saturday(New Year's Day). They might be able to have someone out here today as the tech has an install in my area. I will know for sure this afternoon. They asked me to contact Voom to set up the work order which I did with the Live Assistant Chat.

Dealing with the Live assistant in the chat window was fairly painless.

I'm hoping that maybe it was the wind that knocked the dish out of alignment and it's a simple fix to point it correctly again. After going up on the roof to take the pictures I saw how strong the wind was. I might need a more solid post.

I know that, but I would still like to receive an SD signal from UPN. Thanks for the feedback.

Sheff said:
I know that, but I would still like to receive an SD signal from UPN. Thanks for the feedback.

Not with Voom. The Voom box only has tuners for the satellite and digital OTA stations. To pick up analog feeds, you'll need to feed the analog antenna signal directly to your set's analog tuner and another analog tuner that outputs to your set.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me there is way too much 'wobble factor' in your dish. Personally, I would take whatever steps necessary to better secure the system (different location?, larger diameter mounting?, guy wires?, etc.).

Sheff, where in Vegas are you? Who was the installer? The guy that did mine left ALL the nuts loose and the dish was actually bobbing up and down when it was windy last week. I went up and realigned and tightned them down. Also, I was wondering about UPN and realized they dont have an digital signal and Voom box only gets digital signals.
Wow!! I just watched your video clip. I'm not sure that will survive in the heavy wind we get around here. That does have a bad wobble. When I was re-aligning mine, I locked on to the signal and just tightening the nut moved the dish the width of a finger nail and it lost signal.

I'm off of Rainbow, south of 215. The installer was Keith of AAA media masters.

So how did you adjust your dish? Did you take your cell phone up there and call your wife to watch the signal strength? Otherwise, how do you know you're locked on?

I'm considering doing it, but I think it needs to be anchored to one of the studs for stability. I have no way of measuring signal strength. Also I don't want to do it at night in the wind.

As of yet, I have only locals. No signal on any other channel.

I had a guy from a company called Global Access do mine. Mine is up about 20 feet on the facia board. I mounted it there originially when I had a D** dish and the installer just replaced the dish and used my mounting bracket and tube. Its right over a window thats close to the tv. I turned up the volume so I could hear the signal tone in the installer menu beeping. When it locks on it turns to a steady beep. When I heard the steady beep I went in the house and the signal meter was at 98. So I went back up the ladder and tightened down the dish. I'm off of Flamingo between Cimeron and Durango. If yours isnt mounted to a stud I would try to redo it and find a stud or string a couple of guy wires to it.

I'm also in Vegas; Coronado Ranch. I will double check to see if I get UPN, what exact channel is that on? I was wondering why I was not getting alot of local channels. So you have to actually feed the analog signal, how exactly do you do that, run another cable from the antenna or dish??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts