Voom increases illegally collected sales tax.

I am trying to find more information to the sales tax issue. So let me get the official explanation on this. I may or may not get it.

occammd said:
It's a shame too, 'cause I think we all agree we love HDTV, the competition is good for all of us, and Wilt is doing his best, but what is wrong with the rest of the company?
My sentiments exactly. Voom is doing a decent job of delivering the product. But how do you start a company with these kinds of basic billing and sales tax problems? To make matters worse if we contact customer support we get different excuses?

Hey Nuneza , not to sound like a smart ( you know what ) I did do just that and I have proof and they have it as well and I even gave them the phone number & the person they need to talk to , they told me straight out that I would have to take it up with the corporate office at RDBS and there lawyers. Not worth it , so I just canceled, it was that easy. I am not trying to wine or cry I have not come on here and said voom sucks or the PQ sucks I do how ever have or had a problem with the billing department for some time ,but never came on here to bitch about it , I was hoping they would get it cleared up , I gave them 3 months to fix the over charge and they keep telling me a credit will show up next month and I still haven't seen it and I don't think I ever would of . Please don't take this as I am singling you out, I just wanted to let you know an others I did go through the right steps and still nothing.

Okay, thought I woudl jump into this also. I sent the following note to the Virginia Attorney Generals Office Consumer Division:

Sir:

Maybe you can lend me some assistance. I presently subscribe to a satellite television service trading as Voom. Voom is a satellite TV service owned by Rainbow DBS, a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation.

Voom is presently collecting state taxes on my bill. I have subscribed to both Direct TV and Dish Network, neither collected state taxes. I am not objecting to paying a legal tax, however, I am concerned that the Commonwealth may not be receiving these funds or if it is even legal for them to collect taxes.

Thank you for looking into this matter.

Sincerely,

I'll post a response should I receive one.

Regards........

VIRGINIA Sales & Use Tax

I decided to contact the Virginia Department of Taxation, Sales & Use Department, at 804-367-8037. In a nutshell, here is their answer:

1. If you rent the equipment, you WILL be taxed for both the programming services and all rental fees associate with the equipment...to include mirror fees.

2. If you own the equipment, you WILL NOT be taxed for any services received over the air.

Please feel free to call and verify...

Riff...<EOT>

Got an email response to my inquiry about the taxes. The VOOM rep. stated that the taxes are automatically calculated for my area and that he has no information as to what type of taxes they are (sounds fishy). I replied asking him to forward my inquiry to someone who can answer my questions. I also mentioned that Dish and Directv have never charged me any type of taxes whatsoever. To be continued...

Pegasus, Primestar, and Echostar leased a lot of boxes throughout the country and we have never heard about such weird reactions.

rtt2 said:
Pegasus, Primestar, and Echostar leased a lot of boxes throughout the country and we have never heard about such weird reactions.

Do you pay taxes for Echostar? Just wondering. I am under the Home Dish Plan and I pay taxes.

riffjim4069 said:
I decided to contact the Virginia Department of Taxation, Sales & Use Department, at 804-367-8037. In a nutshell, here is their answer:

1. If you rent the equipment, you WILL be taxed for both the programming services and all rental fees associate with the equipment...to include mirror fees.

2. If you own the equipment, you WILL NOT be taxed for any services received over the air.

Please feel free to call and verify...

Riff...<eot>
So is Voom collecting sales tax on those that own their equipment in Virginia? That seems to contradict the leasing exclusion posted earlier.
</eot>

It is my understanding that a lease is treated differently than a rental. In the case with VOOM, there is no implied nor expressed contract...you can simply terminate the service at will or "grate diffinio" if I recall my Latin. In other words: Lease = a contract for service, whereas VOOM Rental = no binding contract.

All states have their own unique tax codes to further confuse et al. !sadroll I don't know about y'all, but I too would like to know if equipment owners in the State of Virginia are paying Sales & Use tax???

To even further confuse the issue, D* and E* pretty much give their equipment away and, from what I hear, ignore state tax laws. I don't know if this is true, but perhaps VOOM is actually doing the right thing??? :confused:

Semper fidelis et ipsemet teneo :)

we'll I can tell you D does not charge me sales tax, but I did do some research on D just to make sure and to also have something to show voom , (when they wood say D just hides it in there billing and you don't know it's there) I contacted D and there billing department & said I wanted to sing up ,but before I did wanted to find out if there was a sales tax I would get charge in GA, They had me on hold for a few minutes , they came back and said their is no sales tax in GA and it would be illegally for them to do so.

I didn't pay tax on the Echostar Digital Home Plan until Connecticut & the ex-Governor Roland passed the satellite tax. Now I have to.
CT is one of the few states that legally has to pay taxes.

If you feel you are being unfairly taxed, your recourse should be to contact your State Department of Taxation. From what I understand:

1. If I were to purchase the STB, DVR or whatever devices...I would not be taxed in my State of residence.
2. If I were to lease the equipment (i.e. 1 year contact)...I would not be taxed in my State of residence.
3. What D*, E* or others do has no impact on whether or not VOOM is liable for charging sales tax.

Initially I felt that I was being illegally taxed, but after checking with local officials I discovered that I am not.

"Voom doing the right thing".....lol, that's a good one
Thanks for letting your AG know D* isn't charging tax...........if they now start charging I'll forward to you.

nuneza said:
Here we go again with the "I cancelled Voom because..." posts. Why don't you call your state tax office and seek official documentation and then forward it to Voom if you are right. All this bitchin' and moanin' on an informational message board wont solve your problem.

And why don't you just skip it if you don't like it? If I scare off any potential Voom customers, good! They need to know the whole picture. No pun intended. Your bitching and moaning is getting old.

riffjim4069 said:
I don't know if this is true, but perhaps VOOM is actually doing the right thing??? :confused:
Seems to me they are doing the thing that will result in collecting the most money. Is it "right" for them? No. Is it "right" for the customers? No. Why not? Because they cant survive without contracts. Not at this early stage, when most of America doesnt even know they exist. And if you ask me they are walking a very thin line with the rental vs leasing arguement. I would think that very few consumers would know the difference between those two words. Off to check their website for the term "lease"

Oh and here it is

"
4. Leased Equipment:
(a) Generally. You may have the opportunity to lease Equipment from us in our sole discretion. If Equipment is leased from us, such Equipment shall at all times remain our sole and exclusive property and we will have the right, at our discretion, to replace it with new or reconditioned equipment and to remove the equipment upon termination of the VOOM Services. None of the Equipment shall become or be deemed fixtures or part of your realty. Our ownership of the equipment may be displayed by notice contained on the Equipment. You shall have no right to pledge, sell, mortgage, give away or remove, relocate, alter or tamper with the Equipment (or any notice of our ownership thereon) at any time. Any reinstallation, return of or change in location of the Equipment shall be performed by us at the service rates in effect at the time of service. You shall not attach any electrical or other devices to or otherwise alter the Equipment without our prior written consent. We shall have the right to make such filings as are necessary to evidence our ownership rights in the Equipment, and you agree to execute any and all documents as are necessary for us to make such filings. Upon termination of VOOM Services, you must notify us to schedule the return of the Equipment. Failure to do so will result in a charge to be determined by us in our sole discretion, which amount shall be due immediately. Returning any Equipment that is not in proper working order or that is otherwise damaged (excluding ordinary wear and tear) may result in charges to be determined by us in our sole discretion.

(b) Defects in Leased Equipment. We will repair and/or replace defective Equipment leased by you (excluding the replacement of batteries) as long as such damage was not caused by misuse or other improper operations or handling by you. We are not responsible for the maintenance or repair of any equipment provided by you, including but not limited to television sets, VCR's, DVD players or other video or audio equipment, receivers, satellite dishes, antennas, remote controls, keyboards, stereos or other audio equipment or telephones. A service charge may be imposed if damage to the Equipment is due to negligent use or abuse or if no fault is discovered in the VOOM Service's system or equipment. In addition, an equipment charge may be imposed for the repair or replacement of any lost, stolen or damaged Equipment that you lease. We make no warranties or representations, with respect to Equipment or service provided by us or with respect to the Equipment's compatibility with any equipment owned by you.

(c) Access to Subscriber Premises. You agree to provide our representatives with access at reasonable times to your premises to install, inspect, maintain and/or repair any Equipment supplied by us and, upon the termination of service, to remove the same from the premises. Our failure to remove its property shall not be deemed an abandonment thereof.
"

hmm a voom customer agreement with leasing terminology.
Looks like a contract me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you ask me voom wants a contract to get their equipment back!!!
yet they dont want a contract so they can collect more money!!!!!!!
Which is it VOOM???????

SOMEONE TELL ME AGAIN I AM NOT LEASING?

All this information is making my head hurt. :confused: Someone from their Insider newsletter should spend time outlining VOOMs upcoming plans, addressng our questions & concerns and less time reiterating obvious crap we already know!

Heck, I opt for an "Ask the Dolenz" section in their newsletter. No...not the Dolan's who own most of CableVision, but instead the loveable Micky Dolenz of The Monkey's fame. I'm sure Dolenz will provide us with much more meaningful and entertaining answers to our questions...and that ain't no monkeyin' 'round! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)