VOOM install Today - The Good and Bad

rcmojo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Good:

Installer showed up within the alloted time frame this despite rain (sometimes heavy) all morning. I was sure I'd have to resched due to weather. Install guy knew what he was doing and quickly got the dish and wineguard ota installed. Despite the rain, he got a 85 signal for sat and 60-70 for ota antenna. My STB arrived already at version 5.68 so I assume that I won't benefit from any firmware upgrades overnight. HD channels look very good, some even look great.

Bad:

Installer says that VOOM did not provide any cables - he was able to "round up" a component cable from his truck. He claimed that no digital audio cable was provided. It's been raining all day so I'm not sure if the problems I'm having with local ota reception is equipment or weather related. Also, NO MANUALS whatsoever. This is strange - hopefully I can download something from VOOM.

All and all, I was prepared for the worst and things turned out darn good (except the lack of cables and manuals). RAVE and RUSH look great!!!!!

A bit of advice to VOOM: I think you guys will eventually need to start shipping the hardware and stb directly to the customer. This will hopefully eliminate all this Tom Foolery with the cables.

You need to get ahold of Installs INC ASAP and report the lack of supporting hardware and manuals. You should have been given a complete package of cables and a somewhat crappy manual ;).

I had my Voom installed a couple months ago. As far as I know, they don't have any actual manuals for the STB. Just a page or two of useless instructions for how to setup the box. The "Important VOOM Information & FAQ's" forum right here is the best place to get info about the STB and using Voom.

As for the cables, I think I received a bag with DVI, component and a phone cable. But no digital audio cables. I assume since your box already had the new software on it, it was a return from a previous customer who cancelled or something and maybe didn't return the cables with it. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts