VOOM Installations

Sean Mota said:
Which one looks more like yours?
I meant if they are both aimed @61.5 they look to my eye they are pointing slightly different(one a little lower then the other)maybe they don't do an exact calibration//thats all

rang1995 said:
I meant if they are both aimed @61.5 they look to my eye they are pointing slightly different(one a little lower then the other)maybe they don't do an exact calibration//thats all

You are right. They are not. The VOOM dish is tilted a little bit more to the West compare to the E* 61.5 dish.

so sean if they are aimed at the same spot (i know they are a little off in space but you can even use the old E* dish and get voom) how can that be?? i wonder if i need a more acurate aiming then by hand and walkie talkie (higher,lower higher lower<the number values)

stevo714 said:
They had a hard time answering a question I'm sure someone has an answer here. I got a 2 receiver setup. my question is how do they run OTA from the stealthtenna to both receivers? Splitter? Diplexer? They really could not give me an answer other then they do.

By the way the Rep said the orders are pouring in. I decided to Sign-Up even though my New House won't be done until April 19th. I figured they will pull this promo eventually and also the price goes up $10 on April 1st so signing up now guarenteed my lower price for 2004. Install is set for April 30th and the rep kept saying no hidden costs, no strings attached.

One other question is the lease deal the way to go? $20 for 2 receivers a month is $480 year. Didn't they just lower the price on the receivers?

They will probably use a splitter for OTA. There will be no signal degradation using this. I have it here as well. Yes, the lease deal is a good deal mainly because there is no contract and you can try it out and if you decide is not for you, you can turn it the equipment and that's it. You can always buy the equipment if you decide to buy instead of leasing.

rang1995 said:
so sean if they are aimed at the same spot (i know they are a little off in space but you can even use the old E* dish and get voom) how can that be?? i wonder if i need a more acurate aiming then by hand and walkie talkie (higher,lower higher lower<the number values)

my installer told me that the VOOM satellite is not quite at the same spot as the E* but if you are required to have one dish for both services you can get a spot where you can get both without problems. Can you post a picture of how yours is pointing (if possible)

I thought for sure there would be signal degrade using a splitter. Will they supply 2 pre-amps for both receivers since a few of my towers are about 30 miles away?

stevo714 said:
I thought for sure there would be signal degrade using a splitter. Will they supply 2 pre-amps for both receivers since a few of my towers are about 30 miles away?

no only one pre-amp is needed per antenna and this is only what they will supply. The only way to use two pre-amps will be to have two separate antennas. You will be fine with a pre-amp and one antenna for both receivers. I have two antennas (I bought way before VOOM) and had to spit the signal for two different services (VOOM and Dish Network). The splitter I bought was a 3.5 db Radio Shack two way splitter.

Voom installed today for me but no guide info.

I had 5 receivers installed, two I had to reset, thanks to this web site for the information, because the local channels did not map. One of the receivers has all the guide information but the rest just says no info!

What to do?

By the way the Terk 5x8 multiswitch works for Voom and Directv with built in switch.

Install Tomorrow

Ordered Voom on Wed 2/25 for installation Wed AM 3/3, installer called to confirm on Monday (Chicago NW suburb). Thanks to all the great info on this forum, I think I am well prepared :) . Currently a C-band and Starchoice user, looking forward to doing some comparisons.

I had the same problem. I called VOOM and they advised me to hold down the power button for 10 secs to perform a reset. Once the receiver reset it started downloading the Program Guide. you can check to see if the program guide is downloading by hitting the VOOM button and then going to "All HD". If it is downloading it will display a message stating that its downloading information from the satellite. It took about 40-45mins for the download to complete. Once complete I was able to see the PG with all the info for each channel... Hope this helps.

Voom installer just called..

Just got off the phone with my voom installer. He will be here tomorrow with the equipment. He said he wanted to go over the OTA antenna with me. He said each voom box comes preprogrammed with the ota channels mapped, and problem was, that the channels mapped on my box will not have the proper channels I now recieve from another nearby city? In any case it isn't a huge deal as I could just use my directv box for ota until voom recievers get the ability to scan. I asked about running a second line rather than using the diplexor, and he said that voom only covers using the diplexor. He never really talked about charging for this, but if that is the case, I'll let him know I'll just do it myself. Everything else discussed about the dish, and installation process seemed fine, and it sounded like he knew what he was doing. I asked how many voom installs has he done that were unsuccessful, and he replied "out of the 12 he's done....none", also said that he tries everything to get a signal, and went even further by saying "most no LOS non installs are due to lazy installers." this made me feel better about the install.

GeneWildershair said:
I asked about running a second line rather than using the diplexor, and he said that voom only covers using the diplexor. He never really talked about charging for this, but if that is the case, I'll let him know I'll just do it myself.
Gene:

I wouldn't let your installer off the hook for running a separate line versus having the diplexer installed. The diplexer has been reported to degrade the signal and in some cases significantly. One CSR over in Yahoo suggested that VOOM had proactively sent out a bulletin to their installers to forego the diplexer and run the separate cable for the OTA antenna.

I received the following email from Installs Inc. which laid out what I was to expect back when my install was done. I can't say that this is what every VOOM installer is supposed to do but you may find it useful :

Getting Ready For Installation
Keep in mind that the installer will need to go in and out of your house to check the VOOM equipment setup and ensure the best possible performance of your exciting new system. Please clear a path to your TV set(s) and disconnect all wiring to ensure easy access and quicker setup time.

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 1 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):
  • Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
  • Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
  • Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
  • Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
  • Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
  • Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
  • Activate customer-selected programming.
  • Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:
  • Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
  • Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
  • Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
  • Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

Yep! just wait then the guide will inform. Thanks!

Now, I still can't get 701 to show :D

Excellent Installation Experience

I just wanted to share a positive installation experience. I have been a DirecTV customer since 1996 with multiple installations due to moves/upgrades. My setup is fairly complex with TiVos, modulators to distribute to the other TVs in the house, etc...

Today the installation from Voom was flawless. The installer was curteous, professional, neat about cable placement, and very technically savy. The receiver activated and downloaded without a glitch. The process was very fast! Since I already had excellent OTA HD I requested that my antenna be used. The installer complied and ensured that my antenna was installed correctly, properly grounded. He left me all the antenna parts shipped by VOOM.

I can honestly say this was the best satellite installation by a third party that I have ever experienced.

I am one very happy VOOM customer!
Carlos

Need Help!

:shocked Sean maybe you can offer some advice. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but my standard definition channels look awful, worse then on basic cable, everything is pixelated. The colors are awful, often there are 5 different skin tones on someones face, usually a lot of red, but I can see little squares all over the place. My signal is bouncing from 32 to 40. At this point I've called Voom and someone else is coming out friday morning to see if they can solve my problem and maybe get the signal higher. I live on the Florida coast, next to a huge river, there are no trees taller then 20 feet, and they're nowhere near the dish. What's even more confusing is that the high def channels come in flawlessly. I promise I'm not placing too high expectations on the standard def channels but these just look awful, MTV is probably the worst. MY OTA channels are all there but the numbers aren't right, but as long as they all come in clear I'm ok with it. Is there anything else I can do other than wait and hope Install INC can fix it? You think it's just my weak signal even though the high def channels are clear? I'm so confused! Thanks for any help guys.
Justin

WLong said:
My camera is dead. :(

Anyhow, they are not going to be able to install the equipment today. VOOM did manage to get professionals with the correct equipment to come out and do a site survey today and a possible install on Thursday.

I'll let everyone know what the survey folks say.

They never showed up. They will be here tomorrow at 10am.

GeneWildershair said:
Just got off the phone with my voom installer. He will be here tomorrow with the equipment. He said he wanted to go over the OTA antenna with me. He said each voom box comes preprogrammed with the ota channels mapped, and problem was, that the channels mapped on my box will not have the proper channels I now recieve from another nearby city? In any case it isn't a huge deal as I could just use my directv box for ota until voom recievers get the ability to scan. I asked about running a second line rather than using the diplexor, and he said that voom only covers using the diplexor. He never really talked about charging for this, but if that is the case, I'll let him know I'll just do it myself. Everything else discussed about the dish, and installation process seemed fine, and it sounded like he knew what he was doing. I asked how many voom installs has he done that were unsuccessful, and he replied "out of the 12 he's done....none", also said that he tries everything to get a signal, and went even further by saying "most no LOS non installs are due to lazy installers." this made me feel better about the install.

Good to hear!! Where are you located?

I'm hoping (and praying) that the survey folks will find a good spot to mount the VOOM dish/antenna. So far I agree with the lazy installer theory.

Newbie!

Hey everyone, I just ordered yesterday and am set for an install next monday.
Im a natural pessimist and after reading all the stories in here, i am set in thinking i am gonna be screwed when the installer comes!! I know im just over reacting. I think i have the basics down of what i need to ask for.

1. separate lines for OTA and Satelite. (no Diplexer)
2. don't let him charge me to run the second line....they are supposed to run UP to 4!!

I had a question about the OTA Antenna.... Im pretty sure my signal is gonna suck where im at and was curious if anyone had any reccomendations. my zip code is 75965 if anyone wants to look for themselves, i couldn't figure out any of the links to see for myself. Some people said the OTA antenna VOOM provided wasn't that good... is there a better one i could buy and have the installer put it up instead of the Voom one? I could be totally wrong.

Anyway, this is the best forum i have found for voom and just wanted to say thanks in advance...I can tell i will be checking this place out multiple times a day from now on!

Later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)