Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Entire Article. It requires a subscription

For High-Definition Sets, Channels to Match
By DAVID POGUE

Published: June 3, 2004 NYTIMES

Stuart Goldenberg

But however cool the screens, as the nine million people who have bought HDTV's have quickly discovered, the high-definition age is not yet fully upon us. If you buy an HDTV receiver connected to an antenna on your roof, you can enjoy a few hours of prime-time HDTV broadcasts each night on ABC, CBS and so on - if you're within about 50 miles of a big city. If you have cable or satellite, you can upgrade your plan to include a handful of high-def channels, like HBO HDTV and ESPN HD.

Otherwise, what you'll mostly watch is low-definition shows, either stretched to fit your wide-screen set or with black bars on the sides. It will be years before the networks, cable and satellite outfits broadcast all HD, all the time.

The executives at Voom, a new satellite service controlled by Cablevision and offered throughout the continental United States, don't think you can wait that long. Started in January, Voom already offers 39 HDTV channels, many more than you can get from any other source.

Now, HDTV aficionados may already be furrowing their brows. "Thirty-nine high-def channels?" they're saying. "There aren't 39 high-def channels in the world!"

Actually, there are now. For starters, Voom gives you those prime-time over-the-air network broadcasts, because Voom's installers put not one but two antennas on your roof: one satellite dish and one that picks up NBC, CBS, ABC and so on. (If you live in an apartment, check on your building's restrictions.)

The basic $40-a-month package also includes Voom's 21 homegrown proprietary channels. All programs on those channels are filmed and broadcast in a high-definition format known as 1080i; they look and sound spectacular, and - apart from Voom promos - are commercial-free.

For example, Rush is an extreme-sports channel that specializes in colorful hot-air balloons, gleaming kayaks and hang gliders in bright sunshine. The Gallery channel is like an art history class that never ends: all close-ups of paintings, presented continuously. The Auction channel is nonstop descriptions of collectibles.

Then there's the MOOV channel, a 24-hour screen saver; it features weird kaleidoscopic "motion art" segments set to music and created by broadcast designers. (Video art is, as Voom puts it, "ambient television, not appointment television." You're meant to leave it playing on the wall as you do other things around the house, not gather the family in the living room for half an hour of "iMovie Effects Gone Nuts.")

All of these channel topics were obviously selected because they show off the stunning visual qualities of HDTV. Their looks are their sole reason for existence; most would die a quick death in any other forum.

Not all, however. HD's wider screen and sharper video make a big difference to Voom's news and WorldSport channels. And on Voom's Rave channel, featuring rock concerts filmed live in HD, something about that wide screen and the intimacy of the cameras makes the experience thrilling and immersive.

Rounding out the 21 Voom Originals, as the company calls its proprietary channels, are a dozen 24-hour movie channels. Most show the same movie all day, over and over. Unfortunately, their motto may as well be, "Not just bad movies - high-definition bad movies." Among this week's selections are the 1962 classic "Rider on a Dead Horse," 1986's unforgettable "Troll" and 1962's immortal "Slaughter of the Vampires."

Voom admits that the movies are so far on the lame side, but points out that you'd be hard pressed to find 12 commercial-free movie channels - let alone high-definition ones - in the basic $40 package from any other cable or satellite provider. Voom also says that by the end of the year, those channels will repeat less and gain thematic personalities: one channel each for action movies, chick flicks, westerns, documentaries, gay and lesbian movies, and so on.

Finally, for $15 each, you can add "plus packs": one each for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz. Each includes one high-def channel and eight spinoffs (HBO East, HBO West, and so on). (If you're a movie-holic, you may as well save money by subscribing to the Va Va Voom plan: $80 a month for all of the above.)

Each Voom basic package also includes 84 standard-definition cable channels like CNN, TNT and Disney. (You can inspect the complete list at www.voom.com, along with a "what's on right now" grid.)

Voom's best feature is its smooth integration of network broadcasts, cable channels and Voom's own homemade channels into a single set-top box, controlled with an expertly designed illuminated remote, and displayed on a unified onscreen TV guide.

As a result, Voom simulates channel-surfing in, say, 2015, when every channel from every source will be in high definition. The colors are breathtaking, the clarity puts standard TV to shame, and the rectangular, much wider picture fills your field of view the way a screen in a movie theater does. It all sounds good, too, because Voom transmits in five-channel Dolby surround sound.

The company has come a long way since its rocky start in January, when the installers didn't know what they were doing, the Motorola set-top box required frequent rebooting, and ESPN wasn't on board. (An HDTV service without sports? Heresy!)

Even so, Voom is still a startup. The listings grid routinely chops off the second line of each show's description, the box takes several seconds to change channels and the channel grid always appears at channel 100, rather than the channel you're already watching. And Voom's customer service department is still, ahem, evolving. (It took eight days to get a reply to an e-mailed question to Voom tech support, which promises a response in 24 hours.)

At the moment, Voom fills an important niche. But as the world goes all-HDTV in the coming years, you might reasonably wonder how long Voom will be around.

Voom acknowledges that its window of opportunity is finite but maintains that it will remain open for much longer than people imagine. Voom has room for expansion; by the end of next year, it will have satellite capacity for 94 high-def channels and 368 standard ones, the company says. (A single HDTV channel, according to Voom, requires as much bandwidth as eight standard-definition channels.) The company maintains that finding the bandwidth for a total switch to high-def will be far more difficult for its cable and satellite rivals.

In the meantime, through July 5, Voom is making an irresistible offer. The company will install the box and the two antennas at no charge. In addition to the service fee, you pay $9.50 a month to rent the equipment, and you can cancel at any time with no penalty. (Exploiting this offer - rather than buying the box outright for $500 - is even a good idea if you intend to stick with Voom, because this fall the company plans to offer a new set-top box adding the TiVo-like ability to pause, rewind, record and play back high-def shows.)

If you're a TV nut, you could consider supplementing your current service with Voom to add HD channels worthy of your screen. If you're anyone else, you could even replace your current service with Voom; $40 a month, or $55 with nine HBO channels, is somewhat more expensive than a basic cable or satellite plan, but, of course, includes those 12 movie channels and much more in high-def.

Either way, Voom is clearly an infant service still finding its way. But upgrade by upgrade, channel by channel, Voom intends to become a major player, capitalizing on its satellite capacity and advanced equipment to surge past its more established rivals in the age of high definition.

Nice work sean. No specifics on how it actually plans on becoming a major player, though.

cyuhnke said:
Nice work sean. No specifics on how it actually plans on becoming a major player, though.

No but I think this line says it all:

Either way, Voom is clearly an infant service still finding its way. But upgrade by upgrade, channel by channel, Voom intends to become a major player, capitalizing on its satellite capacity and advanced equipment to surge past its more established rivals in the age of high definition.

Upgrade --- get rid of issues.
Channel by channel: add more HD channels
satellite capacity --- will be in placed for the future.
Advanced equipment -- nobody has upgradeable mpeg/wm9 boxes in the field.

Yeah, I should have said no specifics on when it plans on being a player. I'm sure things will be good come november, but that's 5 months away. Upgrades along the way should help.

This is the first article that the NY Times does on VOOM after 6 months. The NY Times did not even cover the launch.

Are you asking me to comment on the intellegence and integrity of the NY Times? :) It's good press for Voom, and as I've stated earlier, Voom has a lot of things that appeal to New Yorkers. I'm glad Voom acknowledges the faults with some of the originals. Would be nice to know why carriage deals and liscenses are so difficult to obtain. I'm not complaining, I would really like to know. Write a bigger check.

When VOOM gets the second satellite it rented fired up it will be interesting to see how fast they can add more programming. I suspect they will quickly add all the missing standard def programming. Then I suspect they will slowly add more HDTV. Note I said slowly since 1) there is a lack of channels 2) the channels that are out there that they do not carry will have to be negotiated.

I still wonder if some day they will give in and start doing local channels via their spot beam satellite. Dish/DIRECTV have certainly proven that LIL sells subscriptions far faster than HDTV has so far.

Once they add the RSN's (Local Fox Sports and Comcast Sports Networks), whether they are in HD or not, then VOOM will be considered a major player. However, I don't think you can even begin to say they are on the same playing field as Dish and DirecTV until that happens.

Believe me, I'm already having cold sweats at the thought of having to go through all the next NBA season without any of my Bulls games. Perhpas they'll add WGN-HD? I mean it does carry alot of HD-WB programming, plus some sports. It would be a good channel for VOOM to add.

Article on nytimes.com dated 6-3-04 about VOOM!

My partner did a search on VOOM and up came a long article from the technology section of The New York Times. Generally positive view of this new upstart. Here is a link. We couldn't make it a hot link. Apparently, you have to sign in to their website to do this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/03/t...00&en=00ce8fd6a1429fe4&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

Have fun reading. Great to be on the cutting edge.

Watching HDTV under cloudless Seattle skies as I type this, Gill

mike123abc said:
When VOOM gets the second satellite it rented fired up it will be interesting to see how fast they can add more programming. I suspect they will quickly add all the missing standard def programming. Then I suspect they will slowly add more HDTV.
I agree with this statement. VOOM can not be the sole service in my house until they add some of the std ch's that my family has come to love. My kids love Nick West and Nick Toons....my younger one lives on Noggin and PBS Kids...my wife loves QVC , DIY, and I love HD. But, I think in order to survive Voom has to try to please everyone. They have to try to make people realize that they are better than Directv....better than Dish.

The cutting edge would include that you do a search for this thread before posting, but i guess you did do a search at Yahoo groups either. News spreads fast when it starts in NY, i.e. three hours earlier than us.

Vinny,

I do agree with you and I would like some of the same channels for our family's (we post that here almost every night) but I think Voom wants to think different and be different and that may mean a lot more HD before much more SD.

I think they would be a lot better on getting more investors and adding thier own second satellite.

My guess for those that want all the channels that they have on cable/rupert/charlie- they have to run tandem for another year.

Started in January, Voom already offers 39 HDTV channels, many more than you can get from any other source.

Now, HDTV aficionados may already be furrowing their brows. "Thirty-nine high-def channels?" they're saying. "There aren't 39 high-def channels in the world!"

Actually, there are now. For starters, Voom gives you those prime-time over-the-air network broadcasts, because Voom's installers put not one but two antennas on your roof: one satellite dish and one that picks up NBC, CBS, ABC and so on.

Hmm. Apparently Voom isn't planning on adding any channels. They're counting the 36 on my program guide along with the 3 locals to make 39. That's kind of misleading with all of us in areas where our locals don't broadcast in HD. Not to mention all the ones that aren't mapped correctly, or we just can't pick up. All in all a fair look at Voom though, and some much needed publicity.

sixy said:
Hmm. Apparently Voom isn't planning on adding any channels. They're counting the 36 on my program guide along with the 3 locals to make 39. That's kind of misleading with all of us in areas where our locals don't broadcast in HD. Not to mention all the ones that aren't mapped correctly, or we just can't pick up. All in all a fair look at Voom though, and some much needed publicity.
If thats true, and I dont think it is, then I have 43 HD channels

sixy said:

vurbano said:
If thats true, and I dont think it is, then I have 43 HD channels.

Yeah, c'mon sixy think about that statement...... I would have about 50 if I counted all the locals in my PG that broadcast HD (granted not all of the time)

This was a very nice article. I am kind of suprised though that an article dated 6-3-04 still references problems present in the old software build...several seconds for channel changes, PG defaulting to 100, etc.

vurbano said:
The articles are always a month behind the actual facts. LMAO
It's like they write the article and file it away in case they have a deadline that they are not going to meet then they can just whip it out when needed. :)

<<This was a very nice article. I am kind of suprised though that an article dated 6-3-04 still references problems present in the old software build...several seconds for channel changes, PG defaulting to 100, etc.>>

doesn't the PG always come up at 100 still?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts