Voom is great, but moving to e*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FrankJo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
DC Metro Area
Well folks, it's been great. Thanks for answering some of my silly questions, and making sure to belittle them as well. I've gotten a lot of good advice from some of you.

I do really like voom, but they haven't managed to add the RSN's, which was eventually a deal breaker. Also, i've had several months where I was billed twice, which didn't help either. I do hope that voom stays around long enough to catch on. I think they need to keep sinking money into advertising long enough for people to think of foam if they are switching to dish. Most people (regular folks, not electronics geeks like ourselves) still haven't heard of foam.

I have spoken with a few people who have thought about Voom, but unfortunately came to this forum, and thought the better of it. I've been way more pleased with voom than displeased. But the forum has a negative vibe to it that I think turns people off from voom. i have been in some of the other forums, and they don't seem as negative as this one. So, be mindful of that as well.

Thanks to Sean Mota for being the main voice of reason on this forum. When you speak Sean, everybody listens.

Hopefully I'll be back in a year because voom will have gotten their sh** together.

Thanks

Wow. That is "News". I'm surprised I missed Voom's press release of this latest development.

How was that for belittling and negative? :p Seriously, though, good luck - hope you'll be happy with Dish. Now go away. :D

FrankJo said:
But the forum has a negative vibe to it that I think turns people off from voom.
He must not visit AVS then if he thinks their is a negative tone about Voom. But good luck with Dish, I beilieve it has the same anemic HD offering D* does. I tired of being able to scroll through my HD choices in about 5 seconds.

I really cant see going to Dish from VOOM...but whatever is going to make you happy , do it. I have been really enjoying Voom more than ever in the last month. Better movies on CIN 10 and Rave has been great lately. StarzHD has Return of The King on again today...theres always something to watch.

FrankJo said:
I have spoken with a few people who have thought about Voom, but unfortunately came to this forum, and thought the better of it. I've been way more pleased with voom than displeased. But the forum has a negative vibe to it that I think turns people off from voom. i have been in some of the other forums, and they don't seem as negative as this one. So, be mindful of that as well.

Not be an as****le but I am afraid that your thread title and your message don't help. If I were you I would quietly move on without saying anything bad about your former service provider. It's has nothing to do with being honest. Is it just me?

Thread moved.

Can't denigrate anyone for lkeaving. RSNs may be a dealbreaker for some. Many of us are dual or triple service holders (or even quadruple) to cover all channels and recordability options. My comcast just started copy protection which devalues it considerably.

My problem with going to Dish was the backstabbing on the 921. On DirecTV it's the half rate pseudo-HD. A Voom PVR would seal the deal for most enthusiasts.

I made the same switch and have been very happy with the service and the price.

I too enjoy scrolling through all of the HD I actually watch in 5 seconds :)

Watching HD, just for the sake of it being HD just doesn't make sense, we watch TV that we like, most of it is in HD, but alot of it is OTA and on the channels E* carries in HD.

Some may ask why I still read this forum when I no longer have V*? Well My E* has been working perfectly so I gotta do something on here :) I was worried about all the 811 horror stories but we'd had no problems beyond the fact CBS takes 1-2 seconds longer to come in than the other channels, it locks at 50 percent then locks again at 85 and the picture comes on.

In fact, odd as it seems, I pick CBS out of Lansing, MI with the same antenna V* put up for me, thats close to 65 miles away and the 811 pulls it in faster than the CBS out of Detroit, at 28 miles. The Voom box didn't scan for most of the channels that the 811 does, doesn't make it better was just amazed by its range considering all the bad things said about it.

vurbano said:
He must not visit AVS then if he thinks their is a negative tone about Voom. But good luck with Dish, I beilieve it has the same anemic HD offering D* does. I tired of being able to scroll through my HD choices in about 5 seconds.
5 seconds? Damn, vurbano, I can see all of my Dish HD on a single EPG screen. :p

andrzej said:
Not be an as****le but I am afraid that your thread title and your message don't help. If I were you I would quietly move on without saying anything bad about your former service provider. It's has nothing to do with being honest. Is it just me?

Exactly the response (including the expletive) I expected from andrzej .
I think Mrs. VOOM must be his mom.

bruce said:
It has nothing to do with the size of my screen, Dish only has PPVHD, ESPNHD, HDNET MOVIES, HDNET, DISCOVERYHD & TNTHD in the HD Pack and they all conveniently fit exactly one single Dish 6000 EPG screen. I wish they would make the EPG in a 16:9 format to take advantage of the entire screen real estate, that way, we could see a couple more hours of program info. :D

Spend $5000 on set to watch 7 channels in HD

I can't believe someone would spend $5000 on HD set ( I did Mitsubishi 65 Diamond Series) to watch 7 channels when you can watch 40 channels in HD. I watched Lord of the Rings , Return of the Kings on Starz HD. The most spectacular sight in panoramic pristine HD. Now tell me can you watch that on Dish or Direct. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Why even have this comparison, there isn't one. Voom is for serious HD viewers, that wan't choice in HD. The rest of casual viewers go to the other two satellite providers. I have spent a fortune, over 10,000 on my audio visual equipment- amplifiers, speakers, surround package, TV, etc to watch 7 channels. GIVE ME MORE HD NOT LESS. I can't wait for voom to have 70 channels in March next year, how about 5000 HD capacity in 34 months ( in the words of CEO Dolan). voom feeds the HD hunger[/COLOR]

With all due respect, I don't think FrankJo started this thread to compare the channel selections of Voom and Dish. He was simply telling us that he switched, and why (seemed to be more of a customer service/lack of RSN thing than sheer number of HD channels). Nothing wrong with that (now that it's in the right forum anyway :D ). If you like Voom and their many (but 40?) HD channels, by all means stay with 'em. But many people have made Eric's point that they just don't dig all the channels on Voom and hardly ever watch them. Doesn't really matter how many channels there are if you're not actually watching them, does it? As for Voom being for "serious" HD viewers who want choices and everyone else goes to the other providers, that's just silly. People go with who they think is the best match for them -- that is, whoever gives 'em the channels they want to watch at a price they deem fair. Seems logical enough to me. I don't understand getting emotional over who someone else wants to provide their tv service, regardless of how much money they did, or didn't, spend. But that's just me -- I'm funny like that.

calikarim said:
I can't believe someone would spend $5000 on HD set ( I did Mitsubishi 65 Diamond Series) to watch 7 channels when you can watch 40 channels in HD. I watched Lord of the Rings , Return of the Kings on Starz HD. The most spectacular sight in panoramic pristine HD. Now tell me can you watch that on Dish or Direct. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Why even have this comparison, there isn't one. Voom is for serious HD viewers, that wan't choice in HD. The rest of casual viewers go to the other two satellite providers. I have spent a fortune, over 10,000 on my audio visual equipment- amplifiers, speakers, surround package, TV, etc to watch 7 channels. GIVE ME MORE HD NOT LESS. I can't wait for voom to have 70 channels in March next year, how about 5000 HD capacity in 34 months ( in the words of CEO Dolan). voom feeds the HD hunger[/COLOR]

mr calikarim you say in other post that hd is for only people in upper income bracketi wish i spend 10000 for hd tv but canot maybe you can but you should not look down on regular people mr big bucks i bet you ae really just like us avergae guy

TheTimm said:
As for Voom being for "serious" HD viewers who want choices and everyone else goes to the other providers, that's just silly.
People who want the most HD choices go with Voom. All others go to oterh providers. Nothing silly about that. Its true. That does not mean that people choose voom for the 21 exclusives though. The problem is the other providers are so far behind on the premium movie channels and some of the other stations like D* with TNTHD that its not even a close competition. If D* for instance would offer everything Voom has less the exclusives at a price I felt was right I probably wouldnt be here. But at the moment the other choices are laughable IMO.

calikarim said:

It's called "quality" not "quality." As an avid HD'er for the last two years I've had E (not much HD), VOOM (was down half the time and no tech guys would show up), and now DTV. Since, I"ve enjoyed the World Series in HD and have Jay Leno in HD. Never could get either with E or VOOM. I don't care about grade "C" movies (Voom), just want current "A" movies, the Tonight Show, and live sports in HD. Thanks DTV!

The Wall said:
It's called "quality" not "quality." As an avid HD'er for the last two years I've had E (not much HD), VOOM (was down half the time and no tech guys would show up), and now DTV. Since, I"ve enjoyed the World Series in HD and have Jay Leno in HD. Never could get either with E or VOOM. I don't care about grade "C" movies (Voom), just want current "A" movies, the Tonight Show, and live sports in HD. Thanks DTV!
Quality from D*? what do you like more the downrezzing or the cuts in bandwidth. As for me I get both with Voom, quality and quantity. Even without the 21 exclusives the HD offerings trounce D* and E*. Sure D* has hdnet and hdnet movies. But where is TNTHD? the extra HBO and SHO HD feeds? 2 feeds of StarzHD? 2 feeds of cinemaxHD? TNTHD? ENCOREHD?

O congrats on your 1st post. I see the very first one is a flaming one. Apparently you had Voom and recption problems and never asked for any help on here. Or your just a bologna flamer. I vote the latter.

vurbano said:
O congrats on your 1st post. I see the very first one is a flaming one. Apparently you had Voom and recption problems and never asked for any help on here. Or your just a bologna flamer. I vote the latter.

Wow...

The Wall just stated his opinion (in a non-inflamatory way) and got slammed even before the usual "welcome to the forum" post.

vurbano said:

Exactly.

And that's what makes blanket statements silly. Everyone has their own reasons and own opinions. Sure, Voom has more HD channels than anyone else, but that doesn't mean you can't be a "serious" HD viewer without subscribing to them. Just my opinion, of course. :D And it actually is possible that someone would like another providers channel choices better than Voom's. I personally can't imagine that, but then again I've never seen HDNet or INHD.

more final thoughts

I have an HD TV. It's great. I love it. I've had it for about a year now. That's why I got voom. What I found though was that I wasn't watching many of the channels vomm had to offer. I also can't afford to have multiple providers. Since I didn't need NFL Ticket, e* was the way to go once I realized that I was going to be getting RSn's anytime soon.

Voom is not "end all, be all" of hd existence. Programming is what matters. Like I said, my experience with voom was a good one. But, if you don't want to miss your local sports teams, voom right now is not the way to go. I don't have any of the premium channels (I have netflix). Cost is a concern. Voom is raising it's prices. For what i'll pay with e*, i'll be in 2 rooms, not 1 (second room NTSC). Most of the hd i watch is on network tv, and espn hd. I will miss Rave, which I think is vooms best channel. Will I miss any of the movies? No. "Eye over...", not very interesting. It all comes down to what we watch, and if a person can do better with another service, then they should go there.

People seem to get exited over "news" about satellites and 70 new channels in March. But how long have many of you been waiting for a PVR? I think the forum is great for that, it keeps people interested. I still remember the anticipation many had over the release of the 6.2 software. Hilarious! Remember folks, this is just TV when it's all said and done.

Compression will continue to be a problem for the near future folks. Don't get too excited about mpeg-4 or wm-9. Remember, it's just another form of what?...compression. The real revolution will be in less tha 10 years (probably sooner) when you'll have a fiber connection to your house and be able to receive all this at the speed of light.

Hopefully i'll be back in a year. I like the fact that there is a service offering so many HD choices, and that pioneering spirit is definetly represented here in this forum. In the end, I think Voom may have rushed out a little too soon. A little more time spent getting customer service right, and getting channels lined up would have gone a long way. I still recommend Voom to folks who don't give a damn about sports.

I'll still be checking back here and will let you know how much I hate e* and how voom rocks!

BTW, I work in television production and deal with issues like picture quality and compression everyday, but mostly I deal with CONTENT, which in the end is what really matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)