VOOM is HDTVs Future..!!!

gonzalez6653

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Hi guys, new on here and think this site is great, not to mention helpful....

I Like VOOM so much I just purchased stock today, its; gonna fly high....
I recently purchase a Panosonic PT-60LC13 LCD Projection HDTV Monitor to replace my Pro Scan 52" CRT. The reason I didn't buy an HDTV sooner was lack of HD programming by DirecTV or my local (Adelphia) cable co. which I get thru my HOA. Why have a HDTV if you can't watch much HDTV ???
VOOM was the answer and I am very pleased with it.

I purchased my TV at Brandsmart USA here in S. Florida. They offered free VOOM instalation ($149), free receiver ($500) + $500 rebate from VOOM on the purchase price of my TV, I have a 2 yr contract for the Va Va VOOM plan ($89 month) gives me all their programming, it has "all" the channels I normally watch + "all" the premium (east & west coast) channels + 2 counties of local on air, if I cancell in the 2 yrs I have to give back the $500 rebate, fair enough.
Well, the picture & audio is "EXCELLENT", it was installed within 3 days by a experienced, very professional installer that was very knowledgable and helpful. I only use my cable as back up and I have reduced my DirecTV to only local channels just to keep it. Although the picture quality is good with the DirecTV & cable,once you've seen the VOOM quality its hard to watch the others.
I do suggest using the DVI video & optical or dig. coax audio input with VOOM,
GiGo very much applies with digital... DirectV & my cable do not offer DVI input and the quality is evident, I understand I could use my TIVO but would have to surrender use of the DVI, although I'm a TIVO fanatic (own stock) I can wait for VOOM to come out with a DVR rather than give up the quality & HD programming it gives me.

All VOOM programming that is SD is formatted to fit my widescreen without the distortion of JUST,FULL or ZOOM that I have to use with cable or DTV.
The HDTV programming is as good or better than DVD and the audio is excellent (comes with a load of music channels). The on air antenea gets both HD & non HD programming crisper & clearer than cable or DirecTV, SD on air network programing comes in at 4.3 and cannot be altered with Aspect change buy is great quality...

Things that could be better are:
Channel line up menus could be more user freindly(like TIVO), but does have favorites option & HDTV only screens. It takes about 4 to 5 seconds to switch channels, there is no "previous channel" button on remote and most frustrating is "NO TIVO" service available, but this too I'm sure will change as the company grows... other than that, I love it. The lack of TIVO is a big deal to me, although DirecTV is in bed with TIVO and now offer a HDTV DirecTV TIVO for $900+ DirecTV has very little HDTV programming and TIVO is as of now, not developing a cable/satalite compatible HDTV TIVO, think they are trying to squeese out the cable companies..??? I have heard that VOOM is working on a DVR reciever to be out by end of year.

When TIVO first came out I bought stock because I liked the product and thought others would too, I was right & my TIVO stock has done very well by me. I feel the same about VOOM. They have the most up to date HDTV tech. available (way ahead of DirecTV,etc.) are ahead of the curve in the HDTV delivery business, In my research of the parent company, Cablevision Systems Corp. I found they have invested heavily in the network (over $85 million), are committed to developing quality service and although some of the negative experiece reviews I have read indicate frustration & displeasure with VOOM, I am aware they are a new company going thru new company growing pains while trying to keep up with the demand by people that are purchasing HDTVs and demand HD programming "NOW". These negative reviews are like the network news, its all bad, they don't broadcast good news, people tend to voice displeasure much more than satisfaction, that is why I am taking the time to write this review.

All in all, I would not of purchased a HDTV now if it wasn't for VOOM (would have waited for more availabe HD programming while HDTV prices went down)
buy I'm glad I did. I'm watching stuff I've never watched before because the picture & sound is so nice...!!!! I highly recomend VOOM and look forward to sharing experiences with all you HD freaks on this great site... VOOM ON..!!!

I'm putting this here because your ignorance just pi**es me off

Originally purchased equipment in Dec. 2003. (804.36) Later (March 2004) was offered to rent instead (9.50/mo). Refund given to me in May 2004 (804.36 - took 2 months of phone promises by VOOM Rep) On July 8, 2004, VOOM hit my Credit Card for 856.66 for reasons they have yet to inform me of. I have since disconnected (8/13/2004) and returned the equipment (8/27/2004). I still have no refund. They insist on CC payment vs. sending statements I can pay by check. I have spent more time on the phone with voom anyone else I Know.

BTW pro-VOOMERS...
True-HD is shot in 1080i with 1080i cameras and broadcast in 1080i. Where are the 39 channels of "True HD" Where is HD Net? (which is True HD). The 10 channels of cheesy movies VOOM offers are NOT in HD. Did you know that DVDs are at best 480p? The Premium HD channels in VAVAVOOM (LOL) are also 480p. WOW they're lying to you and you didn't know.
I hope you didn't pay for that cra**y set top box that runs like a Intel 8086.

Oh yeah - when the local channels are tuned (sometimes work) the box reboots and I have to wait 2 hrs for the program guide to re-d/l.

pauli said:
I'm putting this here because your ignorance just pi**es me off

Originally purchased equipment in Dec. 2003. (804.36) Later (March 2004) was offered to rent instead (9.50/mo). Refund given to me in May 2004 (804.36 - took 2 months of phone promises by VOOM Rep) On July 8, 2004, VOOM hit my Credit Card for 856.66 for reasons they have yet to inform me of. I have since disconnected (8/13/2004) and returned the equipment (8/27/2004). I still have no refund. They insist on CC payment vs. sending statements I can pay by check. I have spent more time on the phone with voom anyone else I Know.

BTW pro-VOOMERS...
True-HD is shot in 1080i with 1080i cameras and broadcast in 1080i. Where are the 39 channels of "True HD" Where is HD Net? (which is True HD). The 10 channels of cheesy movies VOOM offers are NOT in HD. Did you know that DVDs are at best 480p? The Premium HD channels in VAVAVOOM (LOL) are also 480p. WOW they're lying to you and you didn't know.
I hope you didn't pay for that cra**y set top box that runs like a Intel 8086.

Oh yeah - when the local channels are tuned (sometimes work) the box reboots and I have to wait 2 hrs for the program guide to re-d/l.
Im posting this because your ignorance pisses me off

1. actually most of the film is of higher resolution than HD and since most movies are not shot or were not shot with HD cam, the transfer is as good as it can be having been made from a higher resolution source. The 480p garbage you spewed is just that, garbage.

2. Would you suggest Voom go dig up Marlon Brando so he can redo his movies infront of an HDcam?

3. I dont have to reboot my box after scanning.

4. How could you be so stupid as to buy a new box from a new unproven service and...........

5. Once voom had your money they had no obligation to refund anything to you, they did it as a customer courtesy for early adopters.

6. Voom also gave free service to new adopters.

7. EVERYONE PLEASE NOTICE THAT WE HAVE AN EARLY ADOPTER WITH ONLY 2 POSTS ON SATGUYS???????????? SOMETHING SMELLS LIKE A RAT TO ME.

What the hell is this guy talking about? He thinks only HDNet is true 1080i filmed with 1080i? I think red ufo and pauli are D* infiltrators trying to take back some customers.

Gonzalez welcome to the forum, I'm a fellow S.Florida Voomer, seems to be a few of us on here... I guess that Brandsmart info helped reel us in, I don't regret it at all.

gonzalez6653 said:
... All in all, I would not of purchased a HDTV now if it wasn't for VOOM ... buy I'm glad I did. I'm watching stuff I've never watched before because the picture & sound is so nice...!!!! I highly recomend VOOM and look forward to sharing experiences with all you HD freaks on this great site... VOOM ON..!!!
Hey gonzalez653 welcome to the forum! Lots of Voom fans are here. But buying the Voom stock? Now that's a fan!

Like you, I didn't see a point in buying HDTV until Voom came out. Been happy with both, and Voom will only get better.

1080iBeVuMin said:
But buying the Voom stock? Now that's a fan!

Hmm, Voom doesn't have its own stock and is not traded anywhere. You must be talking about Cablevision (CVC), I guess. ;)

I just don't see why people who claim to love HD and want more of it are so hell bent against VOOM. They are the ONLY provider who is providing this many HD channels and seem to be the most committed at adding more. There is no point in posting on every positive VOOM thread just to say a negative comment about it, if you are against HD this much just move on.

kaw

rkr0923 said:
if voom is the future of HD
count me out

Your out, you cancelled so good for you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your negative comments off the board and go watch your 6 HD channels on D* or E*. When you come crawling back to Voom, I hope they charge you double!! :yes

Not everyone that loves hd has had a good experience with voom, i was overcharged, appointements x 3 were missed, boxes never worked as advertised and worst of all, i tried to set up an appointment for repair, WAIT TIME 3 WEEKS, i decided to cancel and go figure the same guy that installed was there in 3 days LOL now thats funny and why i dont have voom any longer. I would love to get voom back but they really need to improve in CSR, ota issues were a major dissapointment. But i truly want great HDTV but no one as far as i am concerned is offering any thing even close to great HDTV. Im hoping voom improves 10 fold so we all can benefit whomever we choose as our provider as the competiotion will only improve what we get for our money.

Stevesmall I think we've all had third=party service problems with Voom... I think it will get worked out as more companies get Voom certified and get a handle on what's going on with the service.

5. Once voom had your money they had no obligation to refund anything to you, they did it as a customer courtesy for early adopters.

B.S.! That is ignorant! I signed with them back in March. The contract read that I could discontinue the service withing 30 days and get a money back guarantee. After 24 days, I called up VOOM to cancel. They sent someone out to pick up their junk box in April. THEY STILL HAVEN'T SENT ME MY MONEY!!!
Numerous calls have netted me only a bunch of apologies and "We'll call you next week for a status, or (my favorite) we'll send it up to a higher level, expedite it..."
They legally owe me $437. I am now in dispute with with my CC (as are others!)
If you have sunk $ into VOOM stock, I truly pity you. This company has been sucking down $ faster than a teamster gulps coffee. Rainbow recognixe it as an anchor and it flung spun it off. Check out the financial reports, or, just try to cancel them . Yeah, that's right, try to cancel! No matter how hard you try, they won't allow it.It's amazing- they have no problem taking your CC and starting up an account, but it is next to impossible to cancel them and get your $ back.

dclark,
apparently Voom doesn't like students who sign up with them just for the heck of it with no intention of commitment and no desire to pay for anything. Am I missing something? ;)

andrzej said:
dclark,
apparently Voom doesn't like students who sign up with them just for the heck of it with no intention of commitment and no desire to pay for anything. Am I missing something? ;)

how do you know he had no intention of staying with voom?

if the billing and install snafus and ota problems and all the other issues don't drive people away from voom, comments like that will do it.

barth2k said:
how do you know he had no intention of staying with voom?
I don't. It is only my supposition based on his posts.

barth2k said:
if the billing and install snafus and ota problems and all the other issues don't drive people away from voom, comments like that will do it.
You got it right. That was my intention. To drive away people who have no intention of giving it a serious try. :)

andrzej said:
I don't. It is only my supposition based on his posts.

You got it right. That was my intention. To drive away people who have no intention of giving it a serious try. :)

How the hell would you know what my intentions are anyway? When I plucked down $437 for VOOM, I wanted high definition programing and ota. That's what VOOM promised. The brochure promised this, the VOOM CSR's did. They all said that if I subscribed to VOOM, I would get high definition program and ota. Do you understand this? Do you?
I never got ota. VOOM lied, it was "mapped" right, but if I could just wait a while (like past the warranty period!") I just might get ota. Well, I'd be willing to give up all the crappy VOOM "exclusive" channels for just CBS HD!I know how much you value being able to watch the "Three Muskateers" in hdtv every day, but I want my locals as well, afterall, they were PROMISED in writing! As for the actual HDTV stuff worth watching, well, after an "upgrade" the performance of the box went south.
If the equipment and service doesn't meet what was agreed in the contract, then I have a right to call them on it for a refund. Your snide remarks really show off your lack of maturity.
Oh yeah, about the accusation about me being a student- close, but no cigar. I signed up for VOOM a week after finishing my masters degree (I work fulltime as well). I want a HDTV provider that can provide reliable delivery of local and nationwide HDVT content, not just something to show off my HDTV. VOOM didn't cut it, and I am not alone in this opinion.

Wierd most people have said 6.2 has made things better for them, no more microstutters, more stable box, better options in the menus. Yet there are two people who have said it has made things worse, dclark and red ufo.

Where do you live dclark? What's your zip code, how many OTA are you supposed to get according to antennaweb.org? I hope you know that on the brochure I have, the signup papers, and the Voom infomertial under OTA they have in parenthesis "varies by location". However I agree that CBS/NBC/ABC/PBS/FOX/WB/UPN are a must since they air HD content. Question is where do you live... I missed the thread where you asked for some help or advice on getting OTA, and jumped midstream into your rant about Voom.

i am planning on getting voom, to me voom is a great extension/addition to cable our cable company offers an hd terminal with the locals east and west coast ie nbc/cbs/abc/fox/pbs for just the cost of the rental box plus our basic cable that gets our local stations, all of the channels on VOOM HD I don't get on my hd cable so its a great addition plus since i have basic cable i get mostly the locals all the other SD channels on voom is also another great addition so whats the complaining about you could get basic cable get your local HD channels then subscribe to voom get the additional channels in SD plus the other HD channels not available on cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts