VOOM Might be gone as early late this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you think the person who is saying that Voom will shut down at the end of the week works for Direct TV ?????? He is trying to get people to panic before Super Bowl so they will drop Voom. Think before you react to this.[/QUOTE]

Problem is that he is citing to a fairly reputable source. Obviously, this is still speculation as to when exactly Voom will have to shut down but it is very likely that they will have to at some point. Perhaps some alternative will miraculously come about thanks to Charles Dolan but I'm not counting on it.

Walter L. said:
We haven't heard anymore from the originator of the rumor (davis_mcgreaw) So I think we should assume that it wasn't true.

If you have read some other posts there was a board meeting and other people are talking about another meeting tomorrow, which I have also herd about. THere was really no information about the meeting given to any of the employees, but it was a meeting about what to do with the Rainbow Assests which include Fuse, AMC, IFC, WE etc.... and what was the press release yestraday? Cablevision singned on contracts with cable companys and satellie companys to continue carrying channels...Maybe they didnt discuss the Voom issue and thats why there is another meeting tomorrow.

An Analogy

rollerfink said:
But the original rumor never said anything about "and could shut the Voom service down as early as late this week" -- and it seems like satbiznews isn't in the habit of making stuff up.

Way back in my college days we were bored and decided to call the "Rumor control center" the school had set up after the May 4th shootings.
We took turns calling and asking if Jane Fonda was coming to the campus.
After only five calls, they told us they were hearing that this was going to happen.
The next day it was printed in the campus paper with a date to expect her.

Rumors travel in circles and collect more and more bits of dirt as they build.

Kentstater72 said:
Way back in my college days we were bored and decided to call the "Rumor control center" the school had set up after the May 4th shootings.
We took turns calling and asking if Jane Fonda was coming to the campus.
After only five calls, they told us they were hearing that this was going to happen.
The next day it was printed in the campus paper with a date to expect her.

Rumors travel in circles and collect more and more bits of dirt as they build.
AMEN!!!

I doubt they would shut it down before the Superbowl, but you never know.[/QUOTE]

I know that having the Superbowl in HD is important for Voom Subs, but I don’t think Voom really cares about that. Once they receive FCC approval of the sale, they will pull the plug. Does anyone know what kind of timeframe it normally takes to get FCC approval on such things?

So wait. What channel is Jane Fonda going to be on? And can you believe all those reports that Ted Turner is buying Voom.

Still De-Installing, Too

For reasons totally unrelated to any Voom demise or continuation, speculative or realized, I jumped the Voom ship 2 weeks ago. The de-installers are coming to pick up the STB and remote Monday, Feb 7, the day after the Superbowl.

I guess they're either planning to be around after the big game, giving the impression that they intend to stick around, or they're rounding up their equipment so they can write off a donation to area tech schools for their electronics repair classes. :)

I miss Voom a lot (which is why I'm still perusing these posts). But the cable/internet deal I fell for was too good to pass up.

rollerfink said:
So wait. What channel is Jane Fonda going to be on? And can you believe all those reports that Ted Turner is buying Voom.
Well if Ted Turner buys it, so much for FNC on VOOM.

Associated Press (1/26/05)
CNN founder Ted Turner has called the Fox television network a "propaganda voice" of President George W. Bush's administration and compared Fox News Channel's popularity to Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler's rise in Germany before the Second World War.

Maybe he'll take Fox off and add Al-Jazeera!! !sadroll

Whose Jane Fonda and what relevance is it to this thread, I'm confuzzled :)

So I just got billed on 2/2. If they shut it down are the going to refund my money?

*crickets chirping*

Can't really answer your question, but

Mr. Old School said:
So I just got billed on 2/2. If they shut it down are the going to refund my money?
I lost my credit card yesterday, and just went online to check the account balance. To my surprise, there was a $8.72 credit from VOOM, posted 1/25/05! :D

I cancelled the end of October and was out of the country for a month. When I returned in December, they had credited me back pretty close to the amount I was expecting, so for $8-$9 I wasn't going to spend my time checking into it. I'm pretty sure it related to the taxes they collected in violation of the laws.

Anyway, without any prompting from me, they came across with the refund. :) Don't know why they would bother if they were shutting down!

vurbano said:
source please

You might have to wait a day or two. I've only just started the rumor so I'm expecting the ball to start rolling anytime now. It may take a couple of days to get into print though.

Once they receive FCC approval of the sale, they will pull the plug. Does anyone know what kind of timeframe it normally takes to get FCC approval on such things?
As long as it's not tomorrow!!! !protest

Whatever happens will happen when it happens. Whether it's days, weeks, months, I'll watch as much HD as I can until Voom goes dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts