Voom Mot. DSR-550 scans OTA, looks but I can not view them??

nabullet

Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
I was wondering if I was missing something here? I ask this as I just picked up a DSR-550 on e-bay. I hooked up an OTA, turned it on and it states recv'r #.......not auth'd? I push the green button like I have seen people here talking about and can scan for local chan's. Depending on where my ant. is, depends on who many I pick up. I was able to lock 4 chans. in at 93...sounds good right? If it is, HOW DO I VIEW the local chan.s? Sorry to sound dumb, but I do not see a tv/vcr, tv/sat button. It all looks like it should work, but I can not figure out how to view the local chan. that I have saved? Please help the 'green' gut here.
Thank you.
I did post this in "VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition" forum but no luck in replies yet. I hope it is ok to post it again, if not let me know and just remove one. Thank you.

Can't understand the conflicting information here. If you are getting a "not authorized" message, then the box should be totally inoperable, and not able to scan. Do you get any audio when you tune to the channels you have found? If so, you need to change the output via the red button on the box to something that your tv can handle. Not all sets are capable of every possible setting, 1080i, 720p, etc.

I have a Voom receiver and from what I gather it has to have been authorized at some point before the OTA feature becomes available.

Can you get to where you can do a channel scan?

I wouldn't go so far as to say conflicting information. He's not authorized and it doesn't seem to be letting him tune the channels. Interesting that he could scan though!

A box that is not authorized should not be able to do the things that he is doing. Can't understand this. Waiting to hear if he gets any audio. Then it would probably be that he just has to reset his output resolution.

Well, these boxes are a bit goofy. One of mine decided that it could see the satellite again out of nowhere one day (not connected to the dish at all!). I got the green icon on the front display and all. It said 'downloading updates from satellite' or something like that.

I've had mine lock up a couple times when the local stations are doing wierd things too. The local Fox kept tweaking something with their PSIP and it seemed every time they did my box would hang if it was tuned to their channel.

Yesterday the local NBC affilliate stopped broadcasting all digital during the day. I wrote them and they are paining their tower and turned the transmitter off so at not to fry the painters :).

don't forget that when Voom was alive and kicking the trouble shooting pretty much went:

1. Soft re-boot... didn't fix it?
2. Replace the STB

I to have same problem. Able to scan for locals, check signal strength and save locals. When you go to view the ota channels, error message states "receiver not authorized" and to call Voom. This box was purchased on e-bay as well. Figured it is just a door stop now or wait till someone figures out a way to J-tag with working firmware. Just wanted to use for OTA purposes, but no luck.

"Receiver not authorized" means a door stop. Unfortunately there many of those sold on Ebay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts