Voom Networked Home Solution and Voom's DVR

aychamo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Hey guys;

When Voom introduces its home network thing that lets you stream video or whatever around the house, and when they release theri DVR, how will we get it?

I'm a subscriber, and I got in on the $0 install and equipment fee. Will I be able to "switch" out my box with one with a DVR built in? Or will I have to buy it? I don't mind paying up to $200 for the DVR, like a Tivo price, but beyond that I won't pay. If i can't get it for under $200, I'll get a Tivo that is compatible with Voom and use that.

Regarding the home network thing, do you think it will include functionaily to connect to a wired or wireless homenetwork and get rid of the option requiring a phone line?

No details yet about pricing and how current customers will be able to switch to it. As to the phone line, no details either.

Purpose of phone line?

Although my Voom box is near both an Internet and phoneline connections,
it was installed connected to neither. What are these STB jacks used for?
Are they only for linking multiple boxes? Tnx.

I tried looking in the detailed Motorola receiver manual but, oops, there is none. <smile>

By the way, viewing VoomHD up close on a 1920x1200 computer monitor (23") is truly awesome. You're up close, wide viewing angle, and everything is perfectly sharp.

I was sent a brochure from Voom today that has the DVR question in it's FAQ and according to the brochure Voom will release it this fall. It will have a 160 Gig hard drive and will network with the other Voom boxes so you can watch what you record on another Voom box. I like that idea. No pricing yet. I was told by a CSR that anyone on the lease program will get automatic upgrades, including this.

Believe it when I see it ;). 160gb is fairly small, I wish they'd expand it. Still, if they include the promised firewire, I'll be ok.

madpoet said:
Believe it when I see it ;). 160gb is fairly small, I wish they'd expand it. Still, if they include the promised firewire, I'll be ok.
Must.....have......firewire...... My JVC DVHS deck is going to waste, (except for the occasional DTheater tape) I have no HD stb that outputs firewire and since I got my Panny DVD recorder I haven't even used it.

Lets hope that Voom gets it right since DISH didn't with their HD-DVR.

Neutron said:
I was sent a brochure from Voom today that has the DVR question in it's FAQ and according to the brochure Voom will release it this fall. It will have a 160 Gig hard drive and will network with the other Voom boxes so you can watch what you record on another Voom box. I like that idea. No pricing yet. I was told by a CSR that anyone on the lease program will get automatic upgrades, including this.

160GB seems really small for HD recordings.

I'm just relaying what the brochure said. It does seem small for HD though compared to the 250 Gig hard drives that DISH and Directv have in theirs.

Maybe with MPEG-4 or WMP9 compression this isn't a factor?

FunkyBoss said:
160GB seems really small for HD recordings.
I have 160 gig in my DVD recorder, but that's probably how they will keep the price down. Hopefully it will be user upgradeable.

Hoenstly, they aren't keeping the price down by more than a few bucks with that small a hard drive. They are dirt cheap these days.

FWIW, I visited the VOOM store in the Minneapolis area over the weekend. The salesman offered two pieces of info. I don't know how credible they are, but I'm sharing with the appropriate caveats. First, the size of the drive is officially listed at 160 as is stated, but he gave me a 'or maybe larger by the time they hit the street'. Hardly a strong endorsement for a larger drive, but something.

Secondly, he seemed quite certain that they could be rented. There was no doubt in his mind. I've done a bit of reading and don't know if anyone else has heard that yet.

Again, take the info as you will, considering the source.

Because WM9 is so much more efficient than MPEG2 it will require much less disk space. WM9 on a 160GB drive would be like MPEG2 on a 640GB drive. Of course this assumes that Voom makes the switch to WM9 before their PVR is released.

Clearly the WM9 will be more efficient, that's a large plus. On a related question, with a WM9 decoder and network ability, has anyone heard speculation on this box playing WM9 dvd's? That would be a very large win in my book.

aychamo said:
Hey guys;

When Voom introduces its home network thing that lets you stream video or whatever around the house, and when they release theri DVR, how will we get it?

I'm a subscriber, and I got in on the $0 install and equipment fee. Will I be able to "switch" out my box with one with a DVR built in? Or will I have to buy it? I don't mind paying up to $200 for the DVR, like a Tivo price, but beyond that I won't pay. If i can't get it for under $200, I'll get a Tivo that is compatible with Voom and use that.

Regarding the home network thing, do you think it will include functionaily to connect to a wired or wireless homenetwork and get rid of the option requiring a phone line?

Will a Tivo work with Voom? Will it just downconvert HD to SD on the composite and S-video outputs on the Motorola box? This may be an interim solutions until Voom releases it's HD PVR (I was told 6 months by a CSR a few days ago). I have no other means of recording off Voom at this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts