VOOM on Comcast?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thechad708

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2005
Anyone heard anything about Comcasts plan to carry the Voom 21? If Dishnetwork would add them to one of their core satellites i would switch but out west i cant see 61.5.

Agreed. They have made several public ststements about bandwidth limitations. If they do anyhting they would likely carry only some of the channels.

I specifically emailed them asking them to add Voom's channels (and the HDnets too), mentioning that Dish added them, I'd heard a few other providers were thinking of adding them, and letting them know I'd eventually end up with the provider that offered the most HD. They started off their response saying they were commited to HD and thanked me for my opinion, before going on to say they wouldn't be adding Voom channels, citing the ultra low demand for HD channels, bandwidth concerns, and negotiation concerns.

If they do it won’t be any time soon. In East Hartford Connecticut Comcast still doesn’t have ESPN2 HD, TNT HD or Discovery HD and we only get one of the INHD channels and it’s shares time with a sports network. I have sent emails asking for them and they come back with same excuses listed by others in this thread.

rcbridge said:
At this time I really doubt that Comcast would add 21 HD channels because of Bandwidth limitations, they seem more focused on VOD.
Actually, VOD has freed bandwidth in my area. Comcast has removed ALL PPV channels, relying solely on VOD for PPV. They are also converting all digital channels from QAM64 to QAM256 (similar to DBS switching to MPEG4), which will also free up bandwidth. Plus, by moving standard analog channels up into the digital space, it will free huge amounts of bandwidth, once they remove the analog channels completely. (It may be a while before the last one takes effect, due to regulation designed to protect low income subs.)

I can definitely see Comcast addingl HD channels in these upgraded areas.

Well once again the Cable companies game plan stinks. HD is the future, and if they ignore it. Satellite will even the playing field again. Remember, Cable cos arrogance and refusal to upgrade systems paved the way for satellite.

Not really. My Comcast is upgraded. We have all major locals in HD and all Discovery, IN1-2,ESPN,TNT,and the pay channels in HD. I really only want Universal at this time. For my area it's pretty darn good.

thechad708 said:
Well once again the Cable companies game plan stinks. HD is the future, and if they ignore it. Satellite will even the playing field again. Remember, Cable cos arrogance and refusal to upgrade systems paved the way for satellite.
Sorry, don't agree with that statement. I get Comcast Sportsnet Chicago HD, Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD which E* and D* ignore and TNT-HD which D* ignores. I don't get Universal-HD (which I don't miss) and the HDNet channels but I've been watching more of what's on the InHD channels that I get on cable. Plus there's an OnDemand HD channel so I can watch on my schedule vs. DBS's schedule.

I would love for our Fox Sports Net here in Pittsburgh to go HD. Hockey(?) is so awesome in HD.I would even take Flyer games in HD from Philadelphia.

rad said:
Sorry, don't agree with that statement. I get Comcast Sportsnet Chicago HD, Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD which E* and D* ignore and TNT-HD which D* ignores. I don't get Universal-HD (which I don't miss) and the HDNet channels but I've been watching more of what's on the InHD channels that I get on cable. Plus there's an OnDemand HD channel so I can watch on my schedule vs. DBS's schedule.

I am not saying Comcast is failing now, they are about average in HD programing. What i'm saying is for them to just say " no bandwidth available and a small HD market" is just crazy. Once the satellite companies switch to MPEG 4 it will be a different ball game. If they truely dont have bandwidth they better start rebuilding again.

thechad708 said:
I am not saying Comcast is failing now, they are about average in HD programing. What i'm saying is for them to just say " no bandwidth available and a small HD market" is just crazy. Once the satellite companies switch to MPEG 4 it will be a different ball game. If they truely dont have bandwidth they better start rebuilding again.

They have the bandwidth, it's just that it's not very well utilized at the moment. Once the cable companies convert all those analog channels (each analog can carry 10 to 12 SD digital channels or 3 or 4 HD channels) look at all the room they'd have to expand. Cable's also moving to QAM256 from QAM64 for their digital also making more room.
It's just like DBS needing to convert to MPEG4 to get more bandwidth.

Getting rid of the analog channels that will be the big hurdle, I have heard that a few operators are doing this but in the larger markets it will take some time.
BTW-Some of the Cable co's will be expanding there frequencies out to 1ghz.

Since Voom as a DBS provider died I've been in a holding pattern, waiting to see how things shake out. The reason Comcast has my business now is that I didn't have to sign a contract or buy equipment. The second E* has MPEG4 ready DVRs available at a good price for new customers I'm switching. Whoever has the most HD will get my business, and I seriously doubt it will be Comcast from the answers they give me when I ask them about it.

thechad708 said:
Apparently, you haven't been reading any of the actual posts in this thread.
1. Cable is converting many areas to QAM256. This is similar to DBS converting to MPEG4, adding bandwidth.
2. Cable is removing PPV channels, relying on VOD as its PPV broadcast channel. This also frees huge amounts of bandwidth.
3. Cable provides local network HD, local sports HD, and local independant HD, which DBS does not, and will probably not ever do to the extent that cable does.
4. Cable is mirroring all analog channels in the digital band in many areas, with plans to remove all but the most basic "lifeline" type channels from the analog spectrum (for low income subs). This will free HUGE amounts of bandwidth.
5. Other than the 10 Voom originals currently available on Dish, Cable holds the HD edge right now. (They are currently adding TNT-HD, with Universal on the way. I have no doubt as to Voom Originals being added before the end of the year to the higher bandwidth systems.)

Unfortunately, different cable companies, and different areas within the same companies, do not offer all of these things. That nationwide uniformity of technology and programming is one of DBS' strengths.

GaryPen said:
I have no doubt as to Voom Originals being added before the end of the year to the higher bandwidth systems.)

That's a fairly strong statement. Is it based on your gut feeling or something more solid?

It's purely gut feeling, but based on the fact that cable companies are working hard to increase bandwidth (at least in my area), and the fact that Rainbow is actively seeking broadcast conduits. I think it's a pretty good prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)