Voom on Direct

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I hope D* picks up VOOM. I for one would be happy. But I don't think it will ever happen. After D* ran all those negative adds against E* using VOOM. I doubt they will carry it.

you guys aren't missing anything. voom isn't what it used to be.

This is misleading because as of March of this year Monsters HD completely revamped its schedule with a wealth of new films and very few repeats. And more are being advertised coming in May, June & July. It's back to its normal pre-November 2007 schedule.

I too am itching to come over to DirecTV. I'm just waiting to see the end result of where (if anywhere) VOOM ends up.

This is misleading because as of March of this year Monsters HD completely revamped its schedule with a wealth of new films and very few repeats. And more are being advertised coming in May, June & July. It's back to its normal pre-November 2007 schedule.

I too am itching to come over to DirecTV. I'm just waiting to see the end result of where (if anywhere) VOOM ends up.

Monsters is one channel and even though the variety certainly picked up the last few months there were still many repeats of films that had been in the rotation for some time.

After D11 is live, there's room...

The increased capacity might make that a considerably easier decision to carry them. Before the new MPEG4 channels last fall, space was limited and it didn't seem to meet the criteria. If there will be additional space, it could cost DirecTV very little to carry them.

• There are some advantages:
  • There is capacity to carry them without impacting other channels' PQ
  • There exists a very favorable set of negotiating conditions since they are not carried nationally
  • It would flesh out the HD Extra Pack
  • It might pick up the increasing number of Dish customers disgruntled by VOOM being dropped

It costs little, won't lose any subs and could gain a few. Seems like simple math to me.

We will see what happens. I hope that you guys get a chance to see these channels but I personallyl consider it unlikely. Of course I have been wrong before.

The increased capacity might make that a considerably easier decision to carry them. Before the new MPEG4 channels last fall, space was limited and it didn't seem to meet the criteria. If there will be additional space, it could cost DirecTV very little to carry them.
  • There exists a very favorable set of negotiating conditions since they are not carried nationally
  • It might pick up the increasing number of Dish customers disgruntled by VOOM being dropped
It costs little, won't lose any subs and could gain a few. Seems like simple math to me.
As long as it doesn't waste bandwidth thus preventing Direct from adding other HD stations and as long as they do not raise the price of HD or the HD extra pack, then I have no problem with them adding VOOM. If they have to raise their prices as a result, then put VOOM in its own tier. I do not want to pay extra for something that I am not going to watch.

I wouldn't mind seeing Voom on Directv, but I don't see it happening.

I have both providers. I for one will miss VOOM. I would really like for them to consolidate them into 7 or 8 channels and Direct pick them up. The pq was always really good. I liked Equator, World Sport, Rush, Monsters, Treasure and even liked to watch the hot babes on Ultra go down the runway.;)

Do I think it will happen. No

I can dream though.:)

In my opinion if this were even possible for Directv, Dish would do everything within their power to see that it does not happen. In many areas I prefer Dish to Directv. With that said, I would get Directv immediately if this happened dislikes and all. As far as the Voom channels go I liked them spread out just the way they were, without any consolidation.

Last edited:

Yes, there will be more room, but I'd like to see all premium channels and all national channels in HD by then instead of wasting bandwidth on voom.
If there is any room to add more channels, sure add Voom.
Before they do that, they should have all the Encore channels in HD.
If they have all the National channels in HD, all we can hope for is to get the exclusive HD package which it will have all HD channels and no SD.
I hope DirecTV does that.
It will save people a lot of money.

No Voom On Dtv

I am a satellite dealer. I was at the DIRECTV Revolution meeting this year. DTV practically made fun of the VOOM channels. Few have heard of them. Some people who have them watch them. The truth is, VOOM channels do not drive sales. MTV, CMT, VH1 (HD Versions) drive sales, even if there isnt a lick of HD on them. SPEED, FOX SPORTS, HBO (HD Versions) drives sales. Not Kung-Fu or Anime (except for a small percentage). When DISH went to the 2 tier HD package, we rarely sold the package that included the VOOM Channels. (Most) people want the channels they have heard of. Thats why Cheerios sales way more then the generic stuff that costs less and tastes the same. Just my opinion.

I am a satellite dealer. I was at the DIRECTV Revolution meeting this year. DTV practically made fun of the VOOM channels. Few have heard of them. Some people who have them watch them. The truth is, VOOM channels do not drive sales. MTV, CMT, VH1 (HD Versions) drive sales, even if there isnt a lick of HD on them. SPEED, FOX SPORTS, HBO (HD Versions) drives sales. Not Kung-Fu or Anime (except for a small percentage). When DISH went to the 2 tier HD package, we rarely sold the package that included the VOOM Channels. (Most) people want the channels they have heard of. Thats why Cheerios sales way more then the generic stuff that costs less and tastes the same. Just my opinion.

The problem is there is this small group of people who believe they are so special that a company like DISH must waste the bandwidth for 15 HD channels so they can watch their MonsterHD because they are paying another $10. What they need to do is to call VOOM and insist VOOM consolidate into 5 channels so DISH can add them and still add other new HDs.

Throwing Voom on the HD Extra pack would make it MUCH more valuable, assuming they didn't raise the price more than a dollar or two...
That would make a lot of sense, and would actually make me at least consider spending the extra money for that package. However I think they'd need to keep it at its current price.

I hope D* picks up VOOM. I for one would be happy. But I don't think it will ever happen. After D* ran all those negative adds against E* using VOOM. I doubt they will carry it.
To be honest, D* bashing E* and Cable is nothing new. Additionally, E* and VOOM did a poor job marketing these channels, while the PR folks are probably the best in the industry...just look at their superior advertising. Heck, for two years the marketing folks at D* gave the country the impression they were the HD Leader simply because they repeatedly told everyone how great their big HD Launch would be. Yep, the customers may have suffered with a handful of HD channels while E* was putting out close to 40, but you gotta give D* credit for their marketing plan.

Anyway, if D* could obtain VOOMHD at a reasonable price and find a way to market them to their advantage...you had better believe the folks at D* would present VOOM as if they were the second coming of Christ. A business relationship between D* and V* is not as far fetched as some would believe: VOOM stays alive and actually increases their subscriber base, and DirecTV has another competitive advantage over E*, Cable and the Telcos.

I have VOOM on Cablevision. It is a waste of time and space. It is mostly repeats. They could have the 15 channels become 4 or 5.

It might be very compelling for DirecTV to pick up some of the Voom channels. I could see adding maybe the top 5 channels and give Voom a few months to bolster the programming. If they succeed, then Direct adds the other channels, if not, forget it.

It could get them a lot of customers who were at least happy with Voom at 1 times and I'm sure the DirecTV customers would glad to see channels that actually have HD 24 hours a day and not occasionally. I know we have some of those now but there are only a few.

For me Voom might actually make the $5.00 HD Extra package attractive. I am on a free 6 month trial of it now and I like some of the programs but I seriously doubt I'll be keeping it when they start charging me for it.

They have room now, they have been on record as saying they do not see much interest in it.

And they were not interested when there was limited space and no package (separately priced) to which to add them.

Yes, there will be more room, but I'd like to see all premium channels and all national channels in HD by then instead of wasting bandwidth on voom.
If there is any room to add more channels, sure add Voom.
Before they do that, they should have all the Encore channels in HD.
If they have all the National channels in HD, all we can hope for is to get the exclusive HD package which it will have all HD channels and no SD.
I hope DirecTV does that.
It will save people a lot of money.

The HBOs should appear after D11 is tested. This has been the speculation for months. No, I would not suggest putting VOOM ahead of any current plans. The Encore channels only have one with plans on HD, which was announced this week to be in July. Maybe I am overthinking, but I would bet that the July date for EncoreHD has a lot to do with expected functionality from D11.

DirecTV made fun of them because Dish had them and DirecTV didn't. There's a different situation now. It would have been foolish to put them on just to say that both carried them. Since Dish now doesn't carry them, it would be another black eye for Dish among devoted watchers of those channels. Many of those particular subscribers' affinity for Dish was based on the VOOM channels. This could be a play for "good" customers, which is DirecTV's focus. Also, DirecTV would not be negotiating the same terms that Dish did. VOOM needs carriage and will negotiate appropriately.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts