VOOM operating normally...

Wow

It Looks like Voom might stick around that will be good news for all people i can't wait for there new channels and there DVR. I just hope Voom or CableVison will tell us something i guess the customer is last to know. :D

Walter L. said:
Back to topic, here is the latest. I replied to the original response I got from VOOM with the following message:

And the new response I got was:
Response (William M.) - 02/09/2005 11:29 AM Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

We appreciate your concern. The recently announced deal has yet to be concluded, including the details of any transition plan. In the meantime, VOOM will continue to provide uninterrupted service to all of our customers. We would like to thank you for your loyal support and we will continue to keep you informed as more information becomes available.

WE WILL CONTINUE TO KEEP YOU INFORMED? that have not told us anything to date !!!!!!!!!!

Walter L. said:
And the new response I got was:

Response (William M.) - 02/09/2005 11:29 AM Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

We appreciate your concern. The recently announced deal has yet to be concluded, including the details of any transition plan. In the meantime, VOOM will continue to provide uninterrupted service to all of our customers. We would like to thank you for your loyal support and will continue to keep you informed as more information becomes available.

Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in High Definition programming!

Adrianne F.
VOOM Email Support

The glass IS half empty. All that email said is business as usual until the satellite is sold. We all knew that, well we all assumed that now we know. When/IF the FCC says Yes on the deal we loose our beloved HD.

Walter L. said:
Well, the oval dish is not needed anymore since Rainbow-1 is being sold. What will be needed is to migrate all current programming to AMC-6 using MPEG-4 to allow room for new channels. Of course, the STB will need to be upgraded with the MPEG4 module and the dish would need to be re-posistioned and the LNB replaced (as I understand it).

Well the dish is not sold yet. But my question still remains, if they are adding so many channels in just a few weeks, shouldn't we have received the MPEG4 card?

kfried001 said:
Well the dish is not sold yet. But my question still remains, if they are adding so many channels in just a few weeks, shouldn't we have received the MPEG4 card?

Not necessarily if they do have transponders to continue on MPEG2.

correct me if im wrong but isnt voom already broadcasting or testing mpeg4 on one channel, 700 i believe? if you can get this channel then why would you need a card to get all the other channels when the switch to mpeg4?

Walter L. said:
Of course, the STB will need to be upgraded with the MPEG4 module and the dish would need to be re-posistioned and the LNB replaced (as I understand it).
The dish would need to be replaced. Ku FSS requires a larger dish than DBS. (And the LNB would need replacing too.)

I doubt if they will go MPEG4 at this point unless it is dead cheap. They need to conserve money and eliminate their debts. That is why a "transition" to AMC-6 is such a long shot. The expense of sending installers on 26,000+ field trips would run in to millions ... plus the cost of the dish and LNB. All of that would have to be paid for. A "transition" to off is still much more likely unless they can clear their debts.

JL

If they have about 26,000 subs at $200 a pop to change to Ku-FSS dish would run about 5.2 million. Not an undoable amount of money. The real issue would be the fiscal projections as to how many subs it would take to break even. One would have to assume that it would be cheaper to rent the Ku-FSS transponders than running Rainbow-1 since R1 was so expensive, and now that it is sold, they would probably write down the loss all at once. This would reduce operating expenses.

Wake up

Guys either I missed something or a lot of you are living in a fantasy world. There was dozens of news articles a couple weeks back stating that their was a huge dispute with Chuck Dolan and his son at a Cablevision meeting where the board voted to kill Voom and sell their satellite to Echostar.
(Wall Street Journal) http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=44022

If at that meeting they agreed to just try to cut back Voom costs by selling some assets and continue with Chuck's vision, then that is what would have been reported and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

These are the facts. Cablevision is not funding Voom once the FCC approves the sale. Sad but true.

I love Voom, I do. They changed the satellite business forever for the best, but the fat lady is warming up at the mic.