Voom planning HDTV only channels package?

weagle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
just wondering is voom every planning in the near future to offer HDTV only channels package? I know our cable co is nice they offer a hdtv terminal rental and throw in the hdtv channels free and ppv/movie channels you pay extra only. Is voom ever planning this have voom HD basic package and vavavoom HD package only? Really you will have 3 class of people here now you only got two hdtver's who want sd channels or just sd'ers now if they were to offer hd package that would include hdtv'ers that only want hdtv content don't mind the price but would not rather pay the other companies that only broadcast in SD since they don't even bother to watch them. This way they can bring down the price from $50u.s to $30u.s probably plus voom will really see who their viewer base that is if they see people move to the hd package a lot of them they may scrap the sd channels and go all out hd only and then after charge the $50 price which will be well worth it.

In non-OTA case the HD-only option is unlikely because most suppliers of HD channels sell them to satellite or cable providers as a package with SD channels. For example, if you want HD-HBO you are forced to buy several SD-HBO channels as well. My guess is that as of today most HD channels lose money and need to be supported by their SD siblings. This will not change as long as most households getting satellite/cable are SD-only. :no

you have a point there andrzej to be honest the prices are pretty good $40u.s extra for the movie channels in HD plus the SD's is great compare it to 4DTV big dish systems its a joke you can get hbo/showtime but you ain't getting tmc/cinemax/starz/encore in HD and still going to pay $40u.s. a month. The first $50u.s is not bad you get those 30 hd channels. If you think of how much time and money it costs to convert all the movies into HD to show them in sync with SD version is a lot money our local movie company here in canada their SD movie channels are great but the HD really sucks only movie shown a day an old one i went to the listing the july's listing was same as septembers same movies shown its like they are changing their movie selections once every 2 or so months and repeat same ones so I have to REALLY give credit for those movie channels showing in sync the hd version. And where are you going to really go buy or rent them they aren't even available anywhere else (ie DVHS or D-Theatre is not even heavily supported yet).

I can almost guarantee that if Voom were to just offer a package of the HD channels, it would NOT include the premium channels. Most of the companies DON'T want their HD channel seperating from the rest of the pack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)