Voom Pq

vurbano said:
Im glad you watched this time. But 6 HD channels on D* compared to voom is the equivalent of 20 hours a month of HD on espnhd. I continue to wonder how D* is going to increase their HD significantly without going to Mpeg4 or WM9. I believe those compression schemes will greatly improve the PQ for all providers. I just feel sorry that the D* users will probably have to purchase 500-700 dollar boxes to see it. D* is not known for renting their equipment. And after current customers have purchased a 400 D* HD reciever they are now using it just seems like HD isnt really a significant part of D*'s plans. OR that D* hasnt really planned anything.

Im sure that the new sat 7s going up will provide them starshd and cinemaxhd, tmchd so that D* can collect another 30-40 bucks and probably a wasted foxhd east, west or maybe even abc or nbc hd channels. But those network hd channels will not be had by a subscriber that isnt in an O&O or doesnt have reception problems OTA. But after the 7s? ANother launch in 2005 or 6? Too long of a wait for me and I for one am tired of buying boxes.
I'm in an O&O and I love the Networks in HD out in the High Desert of Southern Cali-give me 'em all D*-the sooner da better!

eschu97611 said:
PQ still not as good as D*-sorry
eschu97611, could you qualify that? Some specifics? What exactly is different?
And are you using the same resolution modes and the same types of inputs for your A/B?

Ilya said:
eschu97611, could you qualify that? Some specifics? What exactly is different?
And are you using the same resolution modes and the same types of inputs for your A/B?
Same rez-comp connection on D*/DVI on Voom-sharper pq on D*, colors more vibrant-those without D* just can't see the difference-and those with it that claim Voom pq is superior are simply trying to justify to themselves that they are paying for "high quality" hd.

eschu97611,
It is hard to compare different types of connections. DVI may look very different from component (and not necessarily better, I should add). Could you do component vs. component comparison? This would be a much more accurate A/B.

Ilya said:
eschu97611,
It is hard to compare different types of connections. DVI may look very different from component (and not necessarily better, I should add). Could you do component vs. component comparison? This would be a much more accurate A/B.

Ilya I have looked very hard at the pq between VOOM and D* using components for both, and calibrating the set for each system, and I too have found D*'s picture to be much more sharp, and colors more vibrant. Images seem to pop out at you in more of a 3 dimensional look with D* when compared to VOOM. That being said, VOOM doesn't look terrible by any stretch of the imagination. In fact it looks really good, but when compared to D*'s HD pq, you can see a difference, and it just makes VOOM look a little soft. This is of course comparing HBO HD east, and Discovery HD. On another note, anyone know why some of VOOM's exclusives have sort of a haze, or foggy look to them? Take Rush HD for example, it's got good sharpness, decent color, but it looks as if your watching good quality HD thru slightly foggy glasses. I don't know something about it just makes it look a bit washed out. Maybe I just watched too much HDnet tonight, but it just looks strange to me?

PQ depends on source Material for instance RUSH uses alot of upverted footage for many of the action shots. All HB0's material is converted from film. The only scientific way to measure PQ is to monitor the bit rate.

Best --- DIGITAL 1080p camera ----> 1080p monitor

Better ---- ANALOG (FILM) upverted ---> DIGITAL 1080i

OK 480i ----> ANALOG (FILM zoom and crop) and upverted --->1080i

Ilya said:
eschu97611,
Sorry-anyway you slice it, Voom pq is inferior to D* HDTV-tried dvi on D* and comp. on Voom and still D* looks better-it is not a cable/connection issue-it is obviously a transmission issue-come on Voom, let's stop using the "encoder upgrade" excuse and present this sub with the same pq I was getting when I first installed back in Feb.

vurbano said:
i see micro stuttering on D*

Now that is just slanderous! There is no micro stuttering going on over at D*. I really hate calling it a stutter anyway, because it's really not much of a stutter. It's more of a frame skip. But most folks that see the same problem have already been calling it "micro stutters", so I guess the name sticks.

Dont expect great picture quality on espnhd when it comes to voom:

quote:
"Real bad this early morning on ESPNHD on D**.
Lots of green flashes and a few blackouts.
Seems to be happening a lot recently."

vurbano said:
Dont expect great picture quality on espnhd when it comes to voom:

quote:
"Real bad this early morning on ESPNHD on D**.
Lots of green flashes and a few blackouts.
Seems to be happening a lot recently."

EXCEPT for certain NFL and NHL exclusive HD broadcasts(playoffs and Sunday night football come to mind). Once you see Sunday night football on ESPN HD, it will quickly validate the existence of the channel. Best football broadcast... BAR NONE! Better than CBSHD super bowl(where 7 of the 11 cameras were NOT HD), and better than MNF as well.

well this weekend I watched the following and have the following opinions on voom PQ.

rides - very good not as sharp as it could be but I left D* after seeing it soft there too.

HBO Boxing - well not anyones fault but HBO. Great fight but lousy 4:3 technology.

Solaris - PQ was awesome.

Batman Forever - awesome.

Scooby Doo - PQ was again awesome slight pixelation on a couple fast moving scenes

Worldsport - This is the highest PQ equal to HDNet and no sd cams. incredible

Nick.com on nickelodeon SD, stretched. Jimmy neutron looked 3 dimensional to me. No sparklies perfect sd.

I was also very pleased to see movies from 1999, 2000 making it to the cinema10
channels.

DragonLips said:
EXCEPT for certain NFL and NHL exclusive HD broadcasts(playoffs and Sunday night football come to mind). Once you see Sunday night football on ESPN HD, it will quickly validate the existence of the channel. Best football broadcast... BAR NONE! Better than CBSHD super bowl(where 7 of the 11 cameras were NOT HD), and better than MNF as well.
Ive seen it. It does not compare to CBS 1080i. Had it last year. Sorry its just not that good, but it is better than the other crap espnhd does. Its the la creme de la crap.

HD on D* Is Far Better The V*. But At Least V*s Is Still Pretty Good. But Forget It When It Comes To SD. I Watch All My SD On D*, V*s SD IS Like Watching Basic Analog Cable.
If V* Dosen't Improve Its PQ By The Time D* Doubles Its HD I Will Dump It.

Isn't D* kind of limited right now in what their HD capabilities are? I am not arguing. I'm just asking because I thought I've read that D* had some bandwidth problems that even the new satellite they're launching won't fix. I'll never defend V* Sd channels, but V* seems to be ready to take on HD channel (except, of course, ESPNHD) as they become available.

If this poll would've been done 2 weeks ago: I would say worse. Today I say the same.
Now, I admit that those of you able to compare D* and V* side-to-side (same time, same content) could probably make a better evaluation.

Hmm...

I can certainly understand our need to compare what we're getting with what we've had in many cases. However, as has been pointed out, is it really a fair comparison between Voom and DTV? Sure, we can compare a channel or two since DTV and Voom have a channel or two which are the same but come on, HD on DTV? It's a joke. Sure the pq may be great (haven't seen it myself) but 6 channels!!?? I'd MUCH rather have more channels (i.e. Voom) with very good pq to next to nothing (i.e. DTV OR Dish) with the best pq.

DTV is not offering more HD programming because they don't have the bandwidth available. Why's that? Too much non-HD programming going on over there. I signed up for Voom because they offer more HD programming, not for the BEST pq out there. Now, do I want to see them improve it? Of course I do but not at the expense of offering more HD channels (as long as they don't degrade the already very good pq).

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
I can certainly understand our need to compare what we're getting with what we've had in many cases. However, as has been pointed out, is it really a fair comparison between Voom and DTV? Sure, we can compare a channel or two since DTV and Voom have a channel or two which are the same but come on, HD on DTV? It's a joke. Sure the pq may be great (haven't seen it myself) but 6 channels!!?? I'd MUCH rather have more channels (i.e. Voom) with very good pq to next to nothing (i.e. DTV OR Dish) with the best pq.

DTV is not offering more HD programming because they don't have the bandwidth available. Why's that? Too much non-HD programming going on over there. I signed up for Voom because they offer more HD programming, not for the BEST pq out there. Now, do I want to see them improve it? Of course I do but not at the expense of offering more HD channels (as long as they don't degrade the already very good pq).

The Rickster

Folks like you tend to scare me a bit. You would take quantity, over quality? I'm sorry but I cannot stand by your logic at all. I think D* is doing the smart thing by not adding more and compressing the hell out of what they've got now. Instead they are waiting til they get more room to add any more HD content. I actually applaude D* for doing it the right way. I care about quality, and could do without several of the VOOM exclusives if that would make the PQ go up. If more and more folks thought like you we'd head down a bad path in the HD world my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)