Voom Pq

GeneWildershair

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
Bay Area
cameron119 said:
D* actually packs 2 HD channels on one QPSK transponder. I'll look up the numbers in a bit...but I seem to recall that D* actually transmits HD at 1-2Mbps less than Voom. This pretty much invalidates the quality/quantity argument. Voom has more capacity/transponder, their channels are at a higher bitrate, and there is simply more to choose from on Voom.

E* places 2 HD channels on an 8PSK transponder. That puts E's HD's at about 19.x Mbps. Naturally they're going to have to start putting 3/transponder before too long if they intend to be "the HD leader (Bullsh!t)"

Voom currently has the highest capacity transponders (50 or so Mbps). Thus, when E* moves to 3/8PSK transponder, Voom will be the bitrate champ of all three major DBS providers.

you can argue what it looks like on paper, but when that's all said and done, I can switch my D* DHD on, and can clearly see it looks better than VOOM's DHD channel. I think that's what counts here.

E

eschu97611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 4, 2004
L.A. CA
GeneWildershair said:
you can argue what it looks like on paper, but when that's all said and done, I can switch my D* DHD on, and can clearly see it looks better than VOOM's DHD channel. I think that's what counts here.
Same here-D* HD looks sharper

C

cameron119

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 18, 2004
GadgetRick said:
Another thing I'd like to point out is I've compared non-HD channels on Voom with my DTV and Voom looks better on those channels. Now, I do want to see the sparklies go away but I've compared The History Channel (what can I say, I'm a Modern Marvels junkie) many times and it's always looked better than my DTV feed. Sometimes it looks a LOT better than others, which indicates they are still mucking around with stuff. But then again we've known this.

The Rickster

I'd be willing to wager the sparkles are due to a LNB issue on their end (one of their dishes that receives analog SD feeds could have a malfunctioning LNB...typical cause of sparkles in a picture).