Voom Predictions for 6/1/04

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
In joining the tradition begun by the Dish forum in preparation for a chat, please post your prediction(s) on what you beleive Voom will announce in June. Sean seems to be acting like he knows something :cool: and isn't saying, so take your best shots.

Let's keep the talk that got us all in trouble out of this please.

Known to begin in June:

1- 2 movies per day on Cinema 1 through 9
2- Cinema 10...well you know...
3- Cinema channels are getting a theme so there will be more movies of the same theme.
4- Pink Panther coming to Animania.
5- Gravediggers and Horrible Stories coming to Animania
6- Encore Soccer Matches on World Sport
7- More MOOV videos from....MOOV....
8- Terminator 3 coming to HBO
9- New Concerts coming to Rave
10- 30 new movies coming to Cinema 9 no 10. no 9 :confused:
11- $0 upfront until 7/5/04

Speculations:

1- Wealth Tv HD
2- INHD
3- New Software update (includes OTA scanning)
4- Ramblings about MPEG4/WM9.
5- Cinema, Monster, and Epics going back to 1080i
6- PPV-HD
7- OLN-HD

Sean Mota said:
3- New Software update (includes OTA scanning)

What exactly does this mean?

Do you currently have to add the Locals in manually?
Will it find them in the future for you?

I'm a little confused... :confused:

I'm going out on a limb and predicting the arrival of TechTV/G4. It's supposed to start in June, and I'm thinking Voom will be adding it.

No HDNET b/c of Cuban/Dolan fued and no InHD b/c cable companies will be keeping it cable exclusive.

Orlando Vol said:
Do you currently have to add the Locals in manually?
OTA channels are currently preconfigured for you by VOOM based on your zip-code.

I hope Wealth isn't going to be added before INHD or HDNET. I try not to be negative about a channel, especially when I haven't actually watched it yet, but the stuff I've read about Wealth just makes the whole channel look so lame. I'd rather have SD channels than Wealth. I'd rather have SD channels I don't really care that much about instead of Wealth. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

I agree with wanting INHD or HDNEt before WealthHD. But if its at all possible add two of the three. Why not? This is VOOM the HD leader. WealthHD launches on JUne 1st I heard , it will be interesting to see if VOOM picks it up.

In June:
  1. People will continue to complain about installers
  2. People will continue to complain about CSR's
  3. People will continue to complain about the channel lineup
  4. People will continue to complain that there is no DVR yet
  5. People will continue to complain about rain fade and small dishes
  6. People will continue to complain about PQ
  7. People will continue to complain about installation costs for secondary receivers

...even though there will be improvements in most of them...

bbtkd said:
In June:
  1. People will continue to complain about installers
  2. People will continue to complain about CSR's
  3. People will continue to complain about the channel lineup
  4. People will continue to complain that there is no DVR yet
  5. People will continue to complain about rain fade and small dishes
  6. People will continue to complain about PQ
  7. People will continue to complain about installation costs for secondary receivers

...even though there will be improvements in most of them...
Oh c'mon bbtkd, he asked for predictions not the things that are a given :)
Here are my predictions....
  • Two INHD's
  • WealthHD
  • OTA scanning software update with improved, semi-transparent PG
  • Announcement of when new dishes will be rolled out. (They need to make sure we all have them before October)
  • Free Voom T-shirts for the family. (For advertising)

OTA channels are currently preconfigured for you by VOOM based on your zip-code.
Getting VOOM soon. Can an OTA channel be added manually if it doesn't appear in VOOM's "preconfigured" list?

They might announce that their subs have taken off as of late...

I predict they will announce that they will have a new free installation policy, but it will require a 12 month committment.

They could announce they will be starting a waiting list for the DVRs, since even with how small Voom's current customer base is, they will be hard pressed to keep up with demand. I cannot imagine at least half of Voom's current customers not wanting one eventually and probably a quarter would want it ASAP.

They could also announce their plans for the MVDDS licenses that they have purchased. I wonder if they will try to use those for regional FSNs (very possible), HD Locals (doubtful) or broadband service (very possible).

Predictions on Prolific Posters

DarrellP will own and operate the first Projectors-R-Us franchise, and become the foremost authority on large screen displays for the home.

Walter L will find time to actually watch some TV, after compiling the results of a self-invented poll asking for viewing preferences.

Sean Mota will wait for the DVR, then network his whole house to become the most 'voomed' customer in the history of HDTV. School children will read of his exploits in the years to come.

Ilya will become a super moderator by volunteering for more assignments on Satellite Guys.

Mr. Biggles will buy the ramelectronics.com website and change the name to Bigglecables.com, and retire in a few years by having an exclusive cable contract for all Voom installations.

Cyuhnke will stop comparing himself to Sea Biscuit's posterior, and realize that the avatar is not in line with his image.

Vurbano and eschu97611 will eventually find something that they agree on, and will announce this in the 5/31 chat.

Boy Sean Your "Known to begin in June:" & "Speculations:" Are Not Worth Posting.
For Me Right Now (On My Front Projector) The PQ On VOOM Is Far Better Then D* (SD & HD).
My Concerns For Now Are Bigger Dishes For All To Help Against CLOUD FADE & THat COOL
VOOM T-Shirt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts