Voom ratings and parental control

occammd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I set the parental control to PG to show my wife. I switched to the divine channel to show her how it works. Well it switched to the channel, some lady was in a sex toy shop with dildo's and sex toys, she flipped through a book showing guys having sex, and then it panned to a poster showing a naked guy standing from the back with a guy kneeling in front of him w/the captions "Safer Sex, Suck it and See"

parental control works great huh? problem was the movie is NR. If they are not going to rate the movies correctly I sure as heck will not let my kid watch TV by himself w/VOOM.

occammd, excuse my insensitivity but your story is actually funny. It is easy to say for me because my kids are much older, and I don't recall ever using parental control tools on our TVs.
But, you are absolutely right. This stuff should work one way or the other.

Not quite sure why it is funny, but OK.
I never used them either, but all this content wasn't available in my house when I grew up.

occammd said:
Not quite sure why it is funny, but OK.
I never used them either, but all this content wasn't available in my house when I grew up.

What is funny is providing all the details of the aforementioned movie. :)

Well.... that's true, just trying to make a point. It wouldn't have been the same if I said. "I activated the parental controls and saw something really bad".

Possibly, but I would basically have to lock everything VOOM produces that isn't a kids channel. Then I would have to enter a PIN every time I went to anything else.

occammd said:
Possibly, but I would basically have to lock everything VOOM produces that isn't a kids channel. Then I would have to enter a PIN every time I went to anything else.
Agreed. Shows rated NR should be added to the Parental Lock. NR shows are usually worst than R or NC-17 shows...um...from what I've been told. :rolleyes:

I'll say this much -- I'd definitely prefer to have channels that don't lock properly, rather than channels that use bludgeon-style censorship.

The best example I ever saw of brainless censorship was one of those Naked Gun movies, on TBS or someplace similar. There's a scene where Leslie Nielson is standing below a female character who's in a skirt, up on a stepladder, getting something off a shelf. Leslie looks up at her and says, "Nice beaver." She then pulls down a stuffed beaver mounted on a board.

The numbnuts draconian censor bleeped out the "nice beaver" line.

There's a couple problems here:

1) He's talking about a friggin' beaver, not anything sexual. The movie proceeds to SHOW us the beaver to prove it.

2) The ONLY people who would think the line was sexual are those folks who've already been exposed to the term being used in that manner -- in other words, folks old enough and jaded enough to hear a line like that and immediately jump to a naughty conclusion.

Hence, if you're a kid who shouldn't be exposed to such vile thoughts -- surprise, surprise, you AREN'T. Because if you're an innocent kid who hasn't been exposed to that phrase, it won't mean anything to you. The scene won't seem funny or interesting in any way -- it'll just be a scene where Leslie Nielson comments on the finished product of a taxidermist.

Sorry -- just felt like going off on a bit of a rant. I, for one, have been pleasantly surprised by the uncensored nature of the material on the VOOM exclusive channels.

For that 1% who actually uses parental locks on their TVs, well, you've got my sympathies. You're right -- movies like that should definitely be flagged.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are tons of non-sexual and non-rated programs that do more brain damage to our youngsters than nudity and sex.

Holy crap! What ever happened to parenting!? It is not a friggin babysitter it's a TV and if it is (as is the case for many) put on the channel, and take the remote to the kitched or wherever. There are scenes in SpongeBob that are worse then Pulp Fiction, okay that's a strech. Anyway ... you many not want to watch what they watch but you can control it with that lovely remote!

Amen slacker, my kid does not watch TV if I am not there to supervise what she watches. She is only 8 but being a subber to PlayboyHD, the remote never goes in her hands, I take care of everything for her.

I don't use the TV as a babysitter. We actually don't watch that much TV. But the divine channnel addition bugged me and many people, including Wilt, suggested I use the parental control. So I did.
Locking out the entire channel should work.

I fooled around with the Parental Controls and though I didn't do the Divine Channel test, I noticed when watching our local WB network that the Jerry Springer show required the P.I.N. but other programming there didn't (news,etc.)

ChetK said:
Agreed. Shows rated NR should be added to the Parental Lock. NR shows are usually worst than R or NC-17 shows...um...from what I've been told. :rolleyes:

Well... some are NR just because they haven't ever been rated by the MPAA, like a lot of made for TV stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)