VOOM receiver: Lost my digital OTA by pressing "Caller ID" setting.

jeff_voom

Original poster
May 11, 2005
I lost my digital OTA capability after playing with the system setting of VOOM receiver. The only sequence I did was turing "Caller ID" on then all OTA gone. Right now, the receiver do nothing except some analog OTA channels.

Any suggestion? :confused:

These receivers do not have an analog decoder

The receivers can only decode digital signals only. There is no NTSC decoder on-board, only one that does 8-VSB.

Did everything but no use. Lived in northern of CA, all the digital channels are gone (such as Fox2.1, ABC, NBC, KQED etc). only channel 26 ad 43 survived.

please do NOT try to change "Caller ID" button anyway, in my opinion. Just want to know if anyone went into the same situation.

Jeff

I suspect we'll start seeing more of these type of OTA problems. The voom box was a sat receiver box first and an OTA box second. Sure it has a pretty decent/sensitive tuner for OTA, but since the receiver requires a smart card to function, needs to be activated (originally) to even scan OTA, etc., I think most of the testing went into using the OTA in conjunction with a satellite signal. Now that there is no satellite signal, there are probably a bunch of "minor" OTA glitches that will show up that were previously corrected by a satellite download/hit to the box...with the signal gone, it's like the box is no longer taking its medication and will eventually go psycho :)
....just my speculation.

DONT DO ANYTHING ELSE:

Please read the email below:

The tech folks at Sutro Tower must change out a microwave antenna and a running waveguide for one of the other San Francisco stations. For the safety of the crew, they will need to turn off DTV transmission. This is scheduled for Wed 5/11 and Thurs 5/12 8am-4pm. However, weather could cause rescheduling.

Those receiving KQED's DT signal via Comcast Cable are not affected by the repair work at Sutro, as that signal is sent out from our Master Control Area.

Red Dana
Manager, KQED TV9 & DT9 Viewer Services
KQED Digital channels schedules and info:
www.kqed.org/dtv

Sutro covers the channels you stated. The other ones are broadcast from somewhere else.

This explained the whole thing. Looks like they turned off almost all the DTV singals for this matter.
Will check the receiver again this weekend to make sure it works.

Thanks.

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts