Voom said I was not eligable for SD Oylmpics, I called NBC, now I have 321,593 & 594!

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
I was so disappointed when I saw that I was not recieving live Olympics coverage on 593 or 594 (you might remember my angry post from the other day about having to go into work early just to watch the Olympics live). I don't have any OTA NBC coverage so, other than the few sports shown on CNBC, MSNBC or Brovo, I was relying on the looping HD feed of yesterdays highlights for my coverage. I called Voom over and over again, always hearing that I was not eligable. That just didn't make sense to me so I called my local NBC station (WCAU NBC 10 Philadelphia) to ask them why I wasn't getting any live NBC coverage even though I was out of their broadcast range. Turned out they had no idea, they are a completely owned and operated NBC station. They blamed it on Voom. Strangely enough, when I called Voom up (for the fourth or fifth time now) and told them about my conversation with NBC they had 593 and 594 up and running for me within 3 minutes! I'm watching live SD coverage right now as I type. The CSR was very polite and apologetic. Apparently, even though my local NBC station in Philly is O&O, Voom's computer was "confused" and thought an NBC station over 175 miles north from me (which I had never heard of) was my local station and they, of course, are not O&O by NBC. So, in the end, it was in fact Voom's fault but they corrected it quickly and in a friendly manner. Just thought I'd share this for all of you without Olympics coverage, maybe there are more people out there not getting it because Voom's system was "confused". Just think, I was about to give up on Voom over this whole fiasco and switch back to cable. If I had not called my local NBC station myself I would have never known and would have just accepted that my area was not eligible.

Here are the list of O&O Tv stations. Everyone on these area should get access to the olympic channels.

WNBC: NBC4 New York
KNBC: NBC4 Los Angeles
WMAQ: NBC5 Chicago
WCAU: NBC10 Philadelphia
KNTV: NBC11 San Jose/San Francisco
KXAS: NBC5 Dallas/Fort Worth
WRC: NBC4 Washington
WTVJ: NBC6 Miami
KNSD: NBC7/39 San Diego
WVIT: NBC30 Hartford
WNCN: NBC17 Raleigh
WCMH: NBC4 Columbus
WVTM: NBC13 Birmingham
WJAR: NBC10 Providence

If you are not in any of these areas, see Don Landis post regarding why:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=172831&postcount=42

I am in the DC Metro area and am NOT eligible to get the feed from Voom. Don't know why.

I get the NBCHD, but not the SD supplement.

This was a dumb idea by NBC in the first place. (Not as big as the PPV fiasco of a few olympics back.)

Ok my local station Sean is WTVJ NBC 6 in Miami, there's a NBC station in West Palm Beach that is 55 miles away that Voom somehow thinks I can receive and in fact never have (especially not with this Winegard Sensar II) received the WPB stations that are not O&O.. all the previous CSRs said I should have access to the Olympics in HD and SD today's looked on the website and said "oh no wait you can't you live in an area that can get Live feed OTA" which I do not.

How can we correct this crap already? I think Wilt needs to be involved in this!

Dvlos said:
Ok my local station Sean is WTVJ NBC 6 in Miami, there's a NBC station in West Palm Beach that is 55 miles away that Voom somehow thinks I can receive and in fact never have (especially not with this Winegard Sensar II) received the WPB stations that are not O&O.. all the previous CSRs said I should have access to the Olympics in HD and SD today's looked on the website and said "oh no wait you can't you live in an area that can get Live feed OTA" which I do not.

How can we correct this crap already? I think Wilt needs to be involved in this!

Hi:
I would think that if VOOM says you should be able to receive NBC OTA then they should be able to send someone out with an antenna that is capable of receiving the signal. I would demand that they do this.
Joseph

jnardone said:
Hi:
I would think that if VOOM says you should be able to receive NBC OTA then they should be able to send someone out with an antenna that is capable of receiving the signal. I would demand that they do this.
Joseph
Customer Service in Voom SUCKS. Im also in WTVJ area which is located in Miramar florida. Im 10 mins from them and thats my local station and I told them its O&), I asked to speak to supervisor since she didnt have any clue what I was asking for. She said all supervisors were unavailable. This was Sunday afternoon at 2pm. Voom is doing everything possible to "BLOW IT" with everything they do. While I was waiting for information I asked about the new problem I have with 6.20 and the system locking up as soon as I power it up each night, then waiting 30 mins for the program guide to come up. They said it was a problem and "once I feel the problem is corrected, they will credit me back the time" . We shall see about that!

I'm going to call these people again tonight and see what is up with 593/594 (I do get 321, but its the same thing thats on my OTA WTVJ!)

Hi All, I cannot get the Oylmpics over 593/594/321 because I am in an area with an NBC affiliate station (WESH Channel 2) and should be capable of picking up the station OTA. Unfortunately Charlie (hurricane) knocked off the H.D. transmitter and I can't get the Oylmpics that way and I cant get it over 593/594/321. I guess they just don't want me to see the oylimpics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)