VOOM Satellite Service to Dramatically Increase to Over 70 HD channels by March 2005

tdillon

Loster then I Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 9, 2004
They made a press release today.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20041122005901&newsLang=en

VOOM Satellite Service to Dramatically Increase Channel Capacity

BETHPAGE, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 22, 2004--Rainbow Media Enterprises, a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE:CVC), announced today that its year-old VOOM satellite service will dramatically expand in March of next year from its current 39 high-definition channels to more than 70 high-definition channels covering the full continental U.S. (conus).

"The increase in VOOM's HDTV channels from 39 to more than 70 will allow us to continue to provide more high-definition video services than any other cable or satellite provider," said Tom Dolan, CEO of Rainbow Media Enterprises. "Our plan is to simultaneously add nearly 200 standard definition channels." Mr. Dolan continued.

To facilitate the expansion, the VOOM service will utilize 16 transponders on the SES Americom AMC-6 satellite, which VOOM refers to as "Rainbow 2," previously leased from SES AMERICOM, a SES GLOBAL company.

Mr. Dolan explained that all the programming transmitted by both Rainbow 1 and Rainbow 2 will utilize a new encoding system from Harmonic, initially configured to run in MPEG-2 and software upgradeable to MPEG-4.

"Today's announcement is a step forward in our plans to advance VOOM to MPEG-4 later in 2005. All VOOM customers have been provided with set-top boxes capable of receiving the MPEG-4 signal and we remain committed to offering more than 400 full continental US channels before the end of 2005," continued Mr. Dolan.

Adding further dimension to the company's capacity plans, Rainbow Media disclosed that today it filed with the Federal Communications Commission a recently completed contract with Lockheed Martin under which the aerospace company will construct five Ka-band satellites for VOOM. These high power satellites, the first of which is to be completed and launched in approximately 34 months, will enable VOOM to increase its channel capacity to more than 5,000 high definition channels when operating in spot beam mode. This will enable VOOM to have spot beams covering the entire United States including Alaska and Hawaii. With these satellites, VOOM will be operating with virtually no capacity constraints. These satellites will be operated at the company's orbital locations at 62W, 71W, 77W, 119W and 129W.

About VOOM and Rainbow DBS

VOOM, provided by Rainbow DBS, Cablevision System Corporation's satellite division, is the first television service to provide a comprehensive array of high-definition (HD) programming for the rapidly growing but underserved HDTV audience. With a lineup of 39 HD channels, VOOM delivers more HD programming than any other satellite or cable service provider. VOOM's HD lineup includes STARZ! HD, Encore HD, Showtime HD, Playboy Hot HD, ESPN HD, HBO HDTV and Cinemax HDTV, as well as an exclusive package of brand-new, commercial-free VOOM HD Originals such as WorldSport, Equator and Animania. The service also includes 88 of the most popular cable channels in standard-definition (SD), 18 digital music channels, and free over-the-air digital broadcast channels in HD, where available. VOOM is offered across the continental United States through local Sears retailers; at BrandsMart USA stores; at Electronics Expo stores; through leading online retailer, Crutchfield Corporation; through O'Rourke Sales Company's independent electronics retailers with approximately 10,000 locations in all 50 states; and through The EDGE Group's 12 regional distributors, including Cutting Edge Distributing, of Aurora, CO; Electronic Stockroom, of San Rafael, CA; Electronic Lane, of Dallas, TX; Electronics Source, of West Palm Beach, FL; BDC Distributing, of Bayside, NY; and Necessities, of Norwell, MA. Customers can also purchase the service by calling 1-800-GET-VOOM or by visiting www.voom.com.

This release contains statements that constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Investors are cautioned that any such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance or results and involve risks and uncertainties, and that actual results or developments may differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements as a result of various factors, including financial community and rating agency perceptions of the company and its business, operations, financial condition and the industry in which it operates and the factors described in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the sections entitled "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" contained therein. The company disclaims any obligation to update the forward-looking statements contained herein.

Contacts

Sloane & Company
Anton Nicholas, 212-446-1889
or
Rainbow DBS
Bo Park, 516-803-6068

That was my biggest question. Who else is creating HD content? Will they be filling up some of this bandwidth with the major network HD feeds? If so, this would stop a lot of the belly-aching of people that can't get their locals.

I hope that this isn't another pre-announcement where they set some high expectations but then take a year to deliver on it, leaving everybody feeling worse than if they just quietly rolled the improvements out without a lot of fanfare.

When I signed up, the DVR was only a couple of months away. It still seems to be a couple of months away.

:)

Makes ya wonder if DISH is still going to buy Voom if all this comes true.

Great news. The important thing about this announcement is that VOOM has plans to continue growing. I'm skeptical that in that they'll be able get up to 70 HD channels by 3/2005, but I'll be more than happy if they add 15 and launch the DVR.

I'm all for Voom making it because it helps all of us but I'm just wondering how they are going to pay for all of this. I have a feeling that either DirecTV or Dish Network is going to be part of this. I'm thinking it will be Dish Network. Dish Network is out of bandwidth and they have no real way to compete with DirecTV on HD LIL channels. If Dish Network happens to get this going for them they would have all the Voom HD channels to offer their customers including all the premiums in HDTV as well as HD locals in the future and some left over. I just have this feeling in my gut that the money has to come from somewhere and I think Dish will make an offer to say help them out. Either way its good for HDTV because at least it would force both DirecTV and the cable companies to add channels to compete.

Only time will tell but I looking deeper into this.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contacts: Anton Nicholas
Sloane & Company
212-446-1889

Bo Park
Rainbow DBS
516-803-6068

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Bethpage, NY, November 22, 2004 -- Rainbow Media Enterprises, a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE:CVC), announced today that its year-old VOOM satellite service will dramatically expand in March of next year from its current 39 high-definition channels to more than 70 high-definition channels covering the full continental U.S. (conus).

"The increase in VOOM’s HDTV channels from 39 to more than 70 will allow us to continue to provide more high-definition video services than any other cable or satellite provider," said Tom Dolan, CEO of Rainbow Media Enterprises. “Our plan is to simultaneously add nearly 200 standard definition channels." Mr. Dolan continued.

To facilitate the expansion, the VOOM service will utilize 16 transponders on the SES Americom AMC-6 satellite, which VOOM refers to as “Rainbow 2,” previously leased from SES AMERICOM, a SES GLOBAL company.

Mr. Dolan explained that all the programming transmitted by both Rainbow 1 and Rainbow 2 will utilize a new encoding system from Harmonic, initially configured to run in MPEG-2 and software upgradeable to MPEG-4.

"Today's announcement is a step forward in our plans to advance VOOM to MPEG-4 later in 2005. All VOOM customers have been provided with set-top boxes capable of receiving the MPEG-4 signal and we remain committed to offering more than 400 full continental US channels before the end of 2005," continued Mr. Dolan.

Adding further dimension to the company's capacity plans, Rainbow Media disclosed that today it filed with the Federal Communications Commission a recently completed contract with Lockheed Martin under which the aerospace company will construct five Ka-band satellites for VOOM. These high power satellites, the first of which is to be completed and launched in approximately 34 months, will enable VOOM to increase its channel capacity to more than 5,000 high definition channels when operating in spot beam mode. This will enable VOOM to have spot beams covering the entire <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">United States</st1:country-region> including <st1:State w:st="on">Alaska</st1:State> and <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Hawaii</st1:place></st1:State>. With these satellites, VOOM will be operating with virtually no capacity constraints. These satellites will be operated at the company’s orbital locations at 62W, 71W, 77W, 119W and 129W.

About VOOM and Rainbow DBS

VOOM, provided by Rainbow DBS, Cablevision System Corporation’s satellite division, is the first television service to provide a comprehensive array of high-definition (HD) programming for the rapidly growing but underserved HDTV audience. With a lineup of 39 HD channels, VOOM delivers more HD programming than any other satellite or cable service provider. VOOM’s HD lineup includes STARZ! HD, Encore HD, Showtime HD, Playboy Hot HD, ESPN HD, HBO HDTV and Cinemax HDTV, as well as an exclusive package of brand-new, commercial-free VOOM HD Originals such as WorldSport, Equator and Animania. The service also includes 88 of the most popular cable channels in standard-definition (SD), 18 digital music channels, and free over-the-air digital broadcast channels in HD, where available. VOOM is offered across the continental United States through local Sears retailers; at BrandsMart USA stores; at Electronics Expo stores; through leading online retailer, Crutchfield Corporation; through O’Rourke Sales Company’s independent electronics retailers with approximately 10,000 locations in all 50 states; and through The EDGE Group’s 12 regional distributors, including Cutting Edge Distributing, of Aurora, CO; Electronic Stockroom, of San Rafael, CA; Electronic Lane, of Dallas, TX; Electronics Source, of West Palm Beach, FL; BDC Distributing, of Bayside, NY; and Necessities, of Norwell, MA. Customers can also purchase the service by calling 1-800-GET-VOOM or by visiting www.voom.com.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

This release contains statements that constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Investors are cautioned that any such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance or results and involve risks and uncertainties, and that actual results or developments may differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements as a result of various factors, including financial community and rating agency perceptions of the company and its business, operations, financial condition and the industry in which it operates and the factors described in the company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the sections entitled "Risk Factors" and "Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" contained therein. The company disclaims any obligation to update the forward-looking statements contained herein. <o:p></o:p>

# # #

Attachments

• RainbowII FINAL.doc
    99 KB · Views: 213
Walter L. said:
Great news. The important thing about this announcement is that VOOM has plans to continue growing. I'm skeptical that in that they'll be able to add 70 new HD channels by 3/2005, but I'll be more than happy if they add 1/2 of that and launch the DVR.

I don't think that they said they would be adding 70 channels. I think that they meant they will going from "over 35" to "over 70". That would be fine with me.

Let's see the DVR first!

On a side note if Voom or Dish Network offered multiroom DVR options along with a great SD and HD lineup with HD LILs I might have to consider paying DirecTV 30 bucks a month just during football season and just going all Voom. Hey if Voom delivers before DirecTV I will not give DirecTV a second chance. They as in DirecTV right now is in the position to beat all the companies and if they fail to do so I would not support them. I expect a company to be a future based company and I've always seen Murdock as that type of person but if he has changed I will be done with this company. But IMO I don't think it would come down to this.

Its a company PR....they put them out to raise stock price, make the investors feel good, bolster subs...notice how in the CC a few weeks ago it sharply contrasted this PR? Someone upstairs spoke a bit too matter of factely and got their pee pee whacked, voila they publish this PR to make people forget the bad things in the CC.

I believe you will find one for the DVR also :)

Unless these are all locals I don't see where the HD content is going to come from unless they start some of their own stuff, maybe syndicated HD re-runs from CBS and the like?

tdillon said:
I don't think that they said they would be adding 70 channels. I think that they meant they will going from "over 35" to "over 70". That would be fine with me.

Let's see the DVR first!

I got it now.

I'd be happy with INHD 1 and 2....70 seems like a huge jump to me. I hope it happens...but for right now I want more HD. Not just talk about stuff that is going to happen...but some action on their words right now would be nice. Like a DVR...I just cant get excited about this. How about one HD PPV ch....

Eric_C said:
Its a company PR....they put them out to raise stock price, make the investors feel good, bolster subs...notice how in the CC a few weeks ago it sharply contrasted this PR? Someone upstairs spoke a bit too matter of factely and got their pee pee whacked, voila they publish this PR to make people forget the bad things in the CC.

I believe you will find one for the DVR also :)

Unless these are all locals I don't see where the HD content is going to come from unless they start some of their own stuff, maybe syndicated HD re-runs from CBS and the like?
I can think of about 7 off the bat. Distant network feeds of :

CBSHD
FOXHD
NBCHD
ABCHD
UPNHD
WBHD
PBSHD

They all broadcast HD material. Voom would just need to sign contracts and negotiate which market to get the feed from. This would immediately stop some of the churn and expand the potential customer territory for Voom into areas beyond the grade B reception contour. I think it could dramatically increase the subscriber numbers.

then there is:

WealthHDTV
ESPN2HD
RSN's in HD
INhd's and HDnets which Voom cant seem to get
Ive heard rumors of TBS going to HD and tuner movie classics.

There has also been talk of FOX creating more channels.

It's a public company, and they released this on the PR newswire knowing it would be viewed by the investment community. In fact, they likely released it after the markets closed because it might affect trading. The cost of putting out false information is quite high, so it's fair to assume that they really do expect this to happen. Which leads me to say: Wow. I can't imagine where they will find 30 more HD channels. Perhaps they'll add more exclusive movie channels. (It's odd that they haven't added HD versions of IFC and commercial-packed AMC, since they own them.) The cinema 10 selections are getting better and better (especially the older titles), and I'd love to see more. If I were getting ready to pay a few thousand dollars for an HD set, and you told me I could have 70 HD channels with VOOM or, for the same price, 8 channels on Dish (with lousy customer service thrown in at no extra charge), I think I'd take the 70. Don't write VOOM's obituary yet.

Scott,

Don't you think this deserves its own headline in "latest News?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts