Voom satellite too low in Eastern sky to get!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
When the Voom guy came he said I couldn't get a line of sight and he tried to leave. I--well, I didn't threaten him--strongly suggested he give it a try, and he got a 90% signal, here on the West Coast. He then said "you can't get local channels here" and left.

I knew I could only get 1 local channel, so I let him leave, after giving me the appropriate antenna. I could have made him install it too.

My point is that a failure isn't real until YOU say it's real.

The actual line of sight is skewed, in your area, about 8 degrees from a compass shot. Voom is in the same satellite position Dish is at 61.5 degrees. Can Dish be installed in the Idaho Panhandle? Then so can Voom. They don't send Voom employees to do the installs. They send guys who want to hook up DirecTV or Dish in 15 minutes and get on to the next job. I don't blame them.

Your azimuth from magnetic north would be about 251, from true north about 243. Dish elevation would be about 14.7, which means the dish will look like it's perpendicular to the ground or even pointed down toward the ground a little.

If you are so inclined, get a GOOD compass, and calculate your look angle yourself. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Voom was a no-go!

Doht!
They actually sent someone based out of Oregon! I couldn't believe that. You'd think there were some local folks dying to get Voom's business... Anyway, he seemed knowledgeable enough & got out a ladder and climbed up on the roof to check it out. He brought his aiming dish with some kind of electronic gizmo that detected RF strength. He said he can find the RF but not an actual strong signal. I guess there was a house, of all things, in the way! Even from the roof. (I'm in a one level and there is a two story house in the Voom direction). I asked him if we could put it up on a pole to get over that but he said the angle was too low, even with a pole.

Jose... It is interesting what you say about the direction being close to Dish. My Dish comes in fine and it is mounted only about 7 feet off the ground on the back of my house. It sure makes me wonder if they are REALLY trying...
He did survey my house for the "new" satellite when ever it comes up and running. I am able to get it. It appears to be a completely different direction. Looked to be kind of South-South-West. He had no idea when Voom was going to be up on the other "bird".
Now I wonder what kind of deal Voom will have for new hook-ups when the new satellite does come on-line? At least Voom covered the cost for this visit too.
Oh well, I guess I will keep my eyes opened for news on the new Voom satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)