Voom says no 30" dish...HELP.

LOBO2999 said:
Sean I just got an e-mail back from ( Lori Hinchman , I am located in VOOMS corporate office and I was asked to contact you by Wilt. ) and she is having someone contact me about the problem and is going to get it fixed . I dont know if I should list her e-mail address here or not for others to contact? Let me or should we just stay with people contacting Wilt?

Yes, I know lori and she will do everything in her power to set everything for you. Do not post her email or telephone number. Let's send everything through Wilt. I believe this is the way Wilt wants it to be handled. Thanks.

That sounds good to me , just got a call from install Inc. and they will be out sometime this week to take care of me with the same installer I had befor which was a good installer , they have to cantact him to check when he can get to me , install inc said they are very busy installing voom everywhere, he said in the last 2 months things are taking off like crazy for voom . Thats Great news, if its true? I hope it is.

Thanks for all the discussion everyone. I ordered VOOM this morning and am more than excited for my June 2nd install date. It sounds like the way to go for the 30 incher is by emailing Wilt and talking directly with the installer. Voom kindly included my local installers phone number in the confirmation email. It's funny because they told me over the phone that I could not get this information. Anyways, I hope I can get somewhere with the bigger dish on a 'new' install.

Thanks again!

Well, just thought I'de let everyone know about my progress. Wilt and I have been emailing back and forth and here are the results. Just a reminder that this is for a new install, NOT for a customer with existing rain fade issues.

-Rain fade only happends in a few cases and it is usually caused by bad installation.

-Voom is pushing the signal very hard so positioning is more particular on the install.

-More margin to the downlink signal is soon to come due to a change with Voom which will give more margin in rain fade issues.

Conclusion:
Wilt said to go as planned with a standard 18" dish and see how a peaked install does. If there are issues I am sure he would not hesitate to do something about it. So all you soon to be Voomers with an install date and want the 30 incher...hold your undies on...see what the 18 can do. It is hard for me to do, but I came to the conclusion that all I read were problem stories about the 18" because that was the specific post I was on. You never see posts that say, "My 18" dish is better than the 30" dish".
On a side note, Wilts fast response and knowledge of a guy in his position at Voom is very musc appreciated. Deffinately an outstanding guy!
Thanks.

I understand the three points that you mention above, but if there are 30" dishes available. Why not install them on my house if they will be required in the some-what near future? I don't want to have them come back out to install a superior dish if they'll be the norm soon.

Plus, if they do perform better than the 18" now, why wouldn't I want to get one now?

I'm not trying to be rude, just realistic.

ChetK said:
I understand the three points that you mention above, but if there are 30" dishes available. Why not install them on my house if they will be required in the some-what near future? I don't want to have them come back out to install a superior dish if they'll be the norm soon.

Plus, if they do perform better than the 18" now, why wouldn't I want to get one now?

I'm not trying to be rude, just realistic.

It's all a profit issue. If they can get by with an 18" then they will. If that does not work, then they will try a 24". If that does not work, then a 30". The flaw here is the cost of the installer visits. The price difference (according to my installer) between an 18" and 24" is minimal, but a 30" is quite a bit more. So - perhaps if so many people are having issues with the 18", Voom should make the 24" the default. There was rumor of this - possibly quashed by their rumored decision to go oval.

In Wilt's comment above, he said that 18" should be fine and that rain fade is indicitive of poor alignment. I have to question that given that pretty much everyone who has an 18" is experienceing rain fade. When my installer put in the 18" it started raining and the signal was lost. I asked him to peak it - and he checked and said it was dead-on according to his meter. He has a lot of satellite installation experience and I trust his aptitude. I am getting rain fade with light rain, it's not his aiming - and I am getting a 24" on Thursday.

Don't expect them to install a 24" or 30" the first time out - they seem to want to have you complain first. Some installers are smart and are finding a way to install 24" right away. A business that knows that their base product is not working well but waits for complaints in order to correct the problem has their head in the sand. Half will complain, and many of them will be upgraded. Some will live with it and not take issue. But a significant percent (25-30%) will complain to their friends (eliminating some future customers) and they may eventually drop Voom themselves.

Good news about Voom increasing the signal. Next they need to tell those installers how to aim the 18" dishes since apparently all of them are getting it wrong! Sounds like we are headed for a larger oval dish - which should address the problem, but in the mean-time they should think about switching to 24" as the basic install.

BTW - I wonder what will happen to the 15-20,000 18" Voom dishes when they go to the oval dish? I have a DirecTV dish laying in my garage already - there must be some use for them! Can you imagine trying to convince someone 25 years ago that homeowners would eventually be throwing away satellite dishes by the thousands?

I was supposed to have my 30" installed last Saturday, confirmed and all, still waiting.

You can easily get 30inch here in Pacific Northwest by just asking. THey know it is essential out here. I got mine last week and with heavy rain it didnt even blink!

We all have to remember that there are variations in everyones case. There are location issues, weather issues, install issues, obstruction issues. We cannot base the facts on our own experiences alone. The 18" dish usually works fine. Some will get rain fade. Some because of poor install. Some because the 18 is simply insufficient. All these are results dependent on the factors above and have no formula. This is the very reason why Voom will only go with 18" initially. I am not saying this is the right way to go about it, but this is what they decided to do. A company will be foolish on a financial standpoint to side on the more expensive route just because there may be some rain fade. If it DOES happen, thay'll fix it. And why install a more expensive dish now if they are switching to a new oval dish soon.
My 2 cents.

According to a post on here, voom is going to be upgrade all dishes sometime in the fall 2004.

Lebda said:
We all have to remember that there are variations in everyones case. There are location issues, weather issues, install issues, obstruction issues. We cannot base the facts on our own experiences alone. The 18" dish usually works fine. Some will get rain fade. Some because of poor install. Some because the 18 is simply insufficient. All these are results dependent on the factors above and have no formula. This is the very reason why Voom will only go with 18" initially. I am not saying this is the right way to go about it, but this is what they decided to do. A company will be foolish on a financial standpoint to side on the more expensive route just because there may be some rain fade. If it DOES happen, thay'll fix it. And why install a more expensive dish now if they are switching to a new oval dish soon.
My 2 cents.

Well said. Here is another thought - if they are having to swap out perhaps 30% of the dishes, incurring a $200 service call cost (to Voom) and the 24" dish is only $10 more than the 18" - then they would be money ahead to just use the 24" for everyone. If they go with all 24" it would eliminate a lot of $200 revisits, and they would retain a lot more customers - since a lot will never call Voom, but will complain to their frients and ultimately drop service.

bbtkd said:
Well said. Here is another thought - if they are having to swap out perhaps 30% of the dishes, incurring a $200 service call cost (to Voom) and the 24" dish is only $10 more than the 18" - then they would be money ahead to just use the 24" for everyone. If they go with all 24" it would eliminate a lot of $200 revisits, and they would retain a lot more customers - since a lot will never call Voom, but will complain to their frients and ultimately drop service.

While the first post does lend some merit. Your post makes the sense I am used to. Especcialyy being an ex cband store owner installer.

The fact is that even witha KU high power bird. Being so far on the eastern side of the clark belt, Voom has to know that it even with the clearest conditions in most cases will have a problem with only 18 inches worth of signal gain. There should definatly be starting point size dish to save cost for Voom. But that starting point may be different in some areas.

I would have loved being a cband dealer in Kansas where I could have gotten mostly sparkle free pics with a 4 foot dish :) because of being the aim center of our birds in space.

That does not meen I was naive enough to try and install anything less then 7 foot dishs here on the west coast.

Come on VoOm, help us out out here in the west coast!

Is my STB bad??? UGG

It only happened once in week 1 of service. Now it has happened twice this week.

I go to turn on my Voom STB and I only get like 4 channels and they are totally in the wrong spot.

My locals only 1 comes in and it says it can not get signal right over the perfect picture.

Worldsport comes in where HDnews channel should be.

The guide has proper infor on it but most channels are just black when I turn to them.

I can fix this by unplugging receiver and plugging back in.
But that is a pain and I should not have to do this.

ANyone else have this problem?
Thanks.

iceshark said:
It only happened once in week 1 of service. Now it has happened twice this week.

I go to turn on my Voom STB and I only get like 4 channels and they are totally in the wrong spot.

My locals only 1 comes in and it says it can not get signal right over the perfect picture.

Worldsport comes in where HDnews channel should be.

The guide has proper infor on it but most channels are just black when I turn to them.

I can fix this by unplugging receiver and plugging back in.
But that is a pain and I should not have to do this.

ANyone else have this problem?
Thanks.

I will put a service call for a replacement. This is not supposed to happen.

Here's a CSR's perspective whenever you a customer call them to get an upgraded 30" dish: "I just read the form on the 30" dish. Seems like soom people are upset. When I get a call from a customer asking about a 30" dish I would love to be able to give them one. Then I talk to my supervisor about that and they tell us that they are still testing out the 30". There is nothing a CSR can do except for not it in the customers account. We don't know how they pick and choose who gets these dishes but someone does and we have no control over that.

Alot of the times customers don't realize that we are only telling you what we have been told. CSR would love to give the customers what they want but there is only so much we can do."

If you are having raind fade, the best way to get a 30" upgrade is to go through Wilt.

Or buy and install your own! Make sure it will hold the VoOM LNB before you buy one, a 95cm dish would be even better, its not too hard to do, check my web site if you need one or any advice on how to do it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)