Voom STB questions

as an update, i don't need to go through glass, i have a great balcony with lots of dishes around me pointing the way to cable less freedom!

What are the thoughts about the DVR when it is available? If I lease the equipment now, do you think that Voom will allow for switch outs/upgrades? I was on the phone for over 30 minutes today with three CSR's asking questions, and they were all "managers" asking others for answers to my questions. It's frustrating being an early adopter sometimes!

Two Voom HD Questions....

Any locals in HD and when will ESPN HD get on board? My DISH HD pic seems to have soften up in the last 2 weeks and DISH won't fess up about it. Thinking about switching to Voom but need those two questions answered. Thanks.

whatever loclas broadcast in digital in your area, you should have no problem getting with the OTA antenna provided by VOOM, you can check www.antennaweb.org for which loclas you can get. As for ESPN-HD VOOM claims it is tthe top priority for them as fas as programming goes, so its just a matter of time.

I was thinking more of a Los Angeles or NY HD networks. I live 200 miles from LA but get the CBS HD. I also get the NY CBS HD on another satellite.

I'm sure there will be some way to move to the PVR when it comes out. I ended up purchasing the receivers, based on my faith that the credit they give me towards the PVR system will be worth it ;)

Boondockbill said:
I was thinking more of a Los Angeles or NY HD networks. I live 200 miles from LA but get the CBS HD. I also get the NY CBS HD on another satellite.

No locals via Satellite now. But read here regarding the 84 million dollars Dolan invested in new licenses. These licenses could be used to provide HD locals. This is something that you probably could see 5 years from now.

ESPN-HD anybody guess right now. It might show up tomorrow for all we know. VOOM knows that it is top priority.

Audio Compression?

Ok, I am completely new to most of this. What is the ideal audio setting? No compression, HiFi or TV and why and what are the differences?

Thanks!

First of all, this setting will only affect the analog audio out, so if you arer just using digital coax, or digital optical, it doesn't matter.

OK I am using both, I am sending digital optical to my home theater reciever, which sounds great. However my HDTV also has a built in dolby processor with 5.1 outputs, and I am sending the analog inputs to it so I am in effect running two surround sound systems simultaneously....11 speakers (only running one subwoofer....nothing hooked up to the sub output on TV)....anyway for my uses...the TV compression seems to sound the best on the TV 5.1 system......no compression seem to overdrive it even at low volumes

compression...

My guess is that "compression" is like the compressors used in the music business. These basically take a sound wave and in effect "average" it out so that lower audio signals and higher audio signals match. This is what radio stations use since all CD's are recorded at different levels. If they didn't use compression, some songs would need to be "turned up", and others would need to be "turned down".

My receiver (Sony STR-DE885) has one built in. It's great for watching TV at night - commercials are the same volume as the shows, and watching a DVD or other movie let's you hear the explosions and the soft dialog at the same level.

However, for the best audio experience, it should be turned off.

Anyway, my 2cents...

That is correct, and I believe it is applied BEFORE going out of either digital or analog out (could be wrong).

Tim

Audio settings

What do the 3 different settings in the audio output menu mean?
one says heavy compression. What setting is right for a Dolby digital reciever.
I don't use TV for sound at all.

Voom STB display question

Just got installed.

My question is that on the STB there is a LED numeric display window. I see nothing showing ever. No channel #, zip nada. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Future use? Or broken box?

Bill

Mr. Biggles, if may add, since you box had the latest software preinstalled it did not display anything in the front, but when there is an actual download the display would show all sort of numbers...

... if you are watching on an s-video or composite connection only.

Thanks for the responses.

I have DVI and component connections to my displays.

I guess I thought it would display the channel you were on or 720p, 1080i etc. when you cycled thru the selections like my Sony D* reciever did.

Bill

You need to hit info. It doesn't really let you scroll through channels like a normal guide should.