VOOM STB Version 7.26 (2.30): Features/Bugs/Requests

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
OTA scanning adds to listing, but new channels don't list program info

I'm located between two major cities, Milwaukee and Madison, WI. I was originally mapped to Milwaukee, despite the fact that antennaweb.org lists me for Madison digitals.

Got Voom to install a rotor so I could pick up both markets, like is shown for me on their website Program Guide. Running OTA Scan adds the new stations for Madison, but I don't get program info in the guide. Called Voom, they had me reboot and said they would try to push that info down, but it didn't work. They said "it may just be that way".

I remember seeing another post here that indicated a similar problem (don't remember which thread).

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a solution? Apparently they can't manually map me to both markets. But without program listings for half my local stations, the guide is lot's less useful. My family won't appreciate this behavior compared to cable.

electr0n said:
I'm still having trouble with snow when changing channels in native mode. Tonight I was switching between 601 and 603 and getting 3-4 seconds of snow. Actually a couple of times it stayed a snowy screen until I changed channels. I believe this was listed as fixed in this release, but I am certainly still having problems with it. Is anybody else having problems with native mode?
I guess it is TV set-specific. I am no longer getting snow on my GWIII when switching between satellite channels with different resolution in Native mode. So, I do see an improvement in 6.10. However, I am still getting snow when switching between OTA channels. Ok, I will mark this issue as "improved but not fixed completely" on the List of Known Issues.

pauljk said:
After the 6.10 update, I kept putting the STB in Standby every night. And every morning it would reboot when I turned it on, wiping out the PG.

I spoke to a Voom CSR yesterday, who told me it is now normal behavior under 6.1 - a side effect of the fact that we no longer have to be in standby mode to receive updates. Sounds strange to me - can anyone verify this behavior?

Yeah. I can verify. One morning a day or two after receiving the download the box was on with green sat light when I know I left it in standby the night before. Yesterday morning it was in standby but when I turned it on all I got was the red sat light. Had to do a soft reboot, which means it takes forever and a day before receiving PG info again. I didn't turn it on this morning before leaving for work so I don't have today's quirks yet.

I do not think this behavior is normal; if you stb is rebooting every morning after leaving in stand by mode the night before, there's a problem. Certainly, mine is not doing this.

Sean Mota said:
I do not think this behavior is normal; if you stb is rebooting every morning after leaving in stand by mode the night before, there's a problem.
Could that be just a power interruption?

Ilya, that's funny you should say that it might be TV set dependent and you are not seeing it on your GWIII. I have a KF-50WE610, what model do you have? I am using the DVI connection from the STB to my TV. Anyway, I am getting snow when switching just between satellite channels when in Native mode. Usually I get 3-4 seconds of snow but occassionally it just stays as snow. I've set it to 1080i fixed resolution for now.

electr0n said:
I have a KF-50WE610, what model do you have? I am using the DVI connection from the STB to my TV.
That's what I have! Strange... And of course I am using DVI. Snow only happens over DVI.

Ilya said:
Could that be just a power interruption?

Not in my case. I've got everything running through a top notch UPS and a Brickwall surge protector. I've had power flickers but nothing recently. When it flickers, the TV, STB and audio receiver remain rock solid.

Sean Mota said:
I do not think this behavior is normal; if you stb is rebooting every morning after leaving in stand by mode the night before, there's a problem. Certainly, mine is not doing this.

Certainly agree it's not normal behavior. My box never did anything like this until the recent download. I'm just going to watch it for a few days and see what happens.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or has an issue with this but I'm used to a Hughes E86 receiver. My problem is with the amount of time given to manually enter a channel #. It is way too short IMO. I think my Hughes box gives me at least 2x-3x as long to enter a channel # before automatically going. With the Voom box you need to be ready to press all 3 buttons or you'll go to the wrong channel. I think even a small extention in the time would help a lot.

On a similar note... when hitting a channel # on accident, the "Watch" button should act as an exit button and stop the Box from going to that channel you accidently hit. As of now you need to hit the channel down button to cancel it out. But out of habit I hit watch to try and get rid of it, which then stops the down button from taking it away also.
I think the watch or down button should do it for those that have already gotten used to hitting the down button.

A couple more suggestions...

The ability to quickly change the viewing mode via remote commands. Instead of going to the menu to watch SD strethed or with sidebars, I'd like a quick command to do it with the remote.

Also, there should be a zoom mode added, which stretches vertically and horizontally, so you can cut off the top and bottom of the picture if watching an OAR movie in SD or something like normal ESPN to avoid burnin with the bottom line.

One more question/suggestion...

Is there any chance that in the future the unit will be able to decode analog OTA and/or cable channels? As of now unless all your locals are digital you are left out. This is a huge problem as most cities don't have all locals in digital. Being able to use it for cable would also be a huge plus. Many use that to get their locals and additional channels that Voom doesn't provide. As of now I use a Hughes E86 just for analog/digital OTA and cable channels, and Voom for the rest.

Good suggestions, Vaggeto!
As for your question, about analog OTA, in not so distant future the analog broadcast will be stopped completely and replaced with digital-only. In the meantime, you can split the OTA antenna cable and connect to it to your TV set. Use your TV set's NTSC tuner for analog stations.

VOOM Reciver turns on at night

for the past week, both of my VOOM receivers turn on at night. Although I turn them off before going to bed, in the morning the receiver is turned on (green sat light). What gives??

LOL, I am having the same issue.. My Box in my bedroom keeps on turning on in the middle of the night, but my other box downstairs doesn't turn on.. What is going on with that.. Updates possibly??

SpringsGuy said:
LOL, I am having the same issue.. My Box in my bedroom keeps on turning on in the middle of the night, but my other box downstairs doesn't turn on.. What is going on with that.. Updates possibly??
Are you sure it's not your Program Planner?

When will weak OTA = bad satellite picture bug be fixed?

Hi:
Any idea when the weak OTA = bad satellite picture bug will be fixed. I can not believe that this bug got into the new software without being noticed and I can not believe that every customer is not outraged by this thing.

I came home last night to my wife and son watching Spongebob with the picture breaking up every 10 seconds. I said "you guys are silly - this is easy to fix" First, click the antenna rotor remote and see what direction the antenna is pointed. If it is pointed to NY they click to channel 2 and back to Spongebob. If it is pointed to Philly then click to channel 6, make sure they are broadcasting at full strength, and click back to spongebob. If they are not broadcasting at full strength then rotate the antenna towards NYC, click "2", click "help" then "info" then "ok" then wait for the card number to come up, click "down" - wait - not to fast or it will lock up - then "down" again and look at the OTA signal strength then rotate the antenna a little until the strength is steady and above 90 - Oh No - you click "down" too fast - now get up and go over to the VOOM box and hold in the power button until the TV goes blank - now wait for the box to reboot - now click "help", "info", "OK" wait for card number, "down" NOW WAIT LONGER THIS TIME, "down" etc...... Now back to Spongebob - Oh too bad its over.

Joseph

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)