Voom Switch - E* / D* Comparison

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GLBorchert

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
I've had E* service since 1997 but added Voom a while back. Loved it! When Voom went down I added D* in its place, so I could compare E* with D* side-by-side.

I always wondered about D*, whether or not it was better than E*, and also why D* had more subscribers than E*.

Though in truth I think both providers do a reasonably good job and are far superior to the non-satellite options, I'd have to say that in my side-by-side comparisons, E* is an easy winner. (Am comparing E* 811 to D* H10).

Obviously, now that E* has the Voom channels plus TNTHD that D* does not have, E* has taken a serious lead in HD programming. But, the advantages don't stop there.

Prior to installing D*, I read on this board that E* had better HD PQ than D* has. My own perception is that while they both have good PQ, those who made that claim are right. E* wins the PQ war. It does seems that the E* signal has greater consistency - has that HD "Pop" on every HD channel.

Also, though I know I was accustomed to the E* channel guide, I have found the D* channel guide system to be very cumbersome. On E*, the channels you don't get are highlighted in red on the guide, so you don't waste your time with them. I haven't figured out any way to get my D* receiver to indicate the channels I'm not getting, so I waste a lot of time clicking on them. (Am I missing something obvious??) Also, it seems to me that the D* guide system adds extra steps in obtaining program info, and that its context sensitive guides (sports, movies, HD, etc.) aren't very accurate.

I think I now understand why D* pays $700 million a year to the NFL for exclusive rights. Without NFL Sunday Ticket, I don't think D* could compete with E* - at least not at this point in time. D*'s got the NFL edge, but that's about it.

I have both as well and I agree about the PQ. E* does a better job on the HD channels (which is what I care about). D* is not too far but E* wins it.

From a former D* and V* user...

I agree. I had D* before switching to V* last November. I clearly remember what appeared to be MPEG artifacts (mostly blotchy color shading) on some channels. This went away when I switched to V* and I have not seen it since my switch to E*. I still think V* might have had a little better HD picture quality. But if it did, the difference was very slight. I've very happy with PQ on both SD and HD channels.

I had both Direct TV and Dish also for a while.

Dish HD got that " WOW! " factor from friends that came over. It kind of knocked you out of your chair.

Direct was "oh thats nice"

I hooked my Panasonic dvd recorder to my 921 to archive some westerns this morning... going thru my recorder and outputing at 480p E* was comparable to my D* at `1080i... go figure...maybe they will open up some bandwidth on D* I hope so...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts