Voom to disable OTA tuner in STB?

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
This was posted by CPanther95, moderator at AVSForum:
Reports are that there is indeed a kill signal that will deactivate the STB's OTA capability. The kill signal is starting to be sent for early cancellations, so it is, IMO, likely (but not definitive) that they intend to deactivate all STBs (OTA) at the end of the service.

In my view, it would be prudent to disconnect the satellite input prior to 4/30/05 - just to be safe. The earlier the safer.

If you call to cancel Voom service prior to 4/30/05 - DEFINITELY disconnect the satelllite coax prior to making the call.

TIFWIW.

Where are these reports? The people I spoke with at VOOMhave had no idea whats going to happen. There is no one working on a global bullet to disable the DSR 550 OTA tuners.

The big question was over time without Satellite Signal would the box stop working because it has not received a satellite signal to keep its smartcard happy.

I canceled last Friday(8 Apr 05) effective 16 Apr 05 and everything is still working OTA and all channels. Waiting and still watching

The folks at AVS have always looked at the glass as half empty when it comes to Voom. And I am being kind with that assertion. Take what CPanther95 says with a grain of salt and a shot of Tequila.

Guys, figured I better pop in here in case what I posted at AVS was reported here and was also misinterpreted. I received some PMs from members who thought I was saying that Voom was planning on sending a kill signal to all boxes before final shut down. The way I had posted, it requires a very close read to distinguish between what was reported and what I was cautioning people to consider just to be safe.

Here is the clarification I posted over at AVS:

Just to clarify -

The reports we received are relating to early terminations and do not necessarily indicate any plans by Voom to disable the OTA tuner for all STBs or even all leased STBs when they shut down.

The primary caution is simply this: If you cancel prior to 4/30 (or anytime prior to the actual shutdown) it would be prudent, based on these recent reports, to disconnect the satellite coax prior to calling Voom to cancel.

As far as the disposition of the boxes after shut down, it is unknown what Voom intends to do, if anything, with the boxes in the field. Whether they will collect leased boxes or not - whether they would attempt to send a kill signal or not (for the OTA tuner) - is all speculation at this point.

My opinion, and only my opinion, is if I still had Voom - I would not cancel my account, but I would disconnect the satellite coax sometime prior to 4/30 simply to be safe (the only downside being the loss of a day's programming). The upside of a functioning OTA tuner that I may be able to keep, more than offsets that - again IMO. This is assuming we do not get definitive word from Voom as to what their intentions are prior to 4/30.

As to Indy's comments, I prefer Tanqueray to Tequila - but equally refreshing is the change of pace of being labeled a Voom pessimist. I need to come here more often to balance my chi. :)

I can see them sending a kill signal to those people who have leased equipment to insure the return of the soon to be useless STB's. Stated all over this forum are comments on how hard people are going to make it for Voom to pick up their STB's, for this reason, a kill signal is a wise business descision and probably would have already taken place if this were true. On the other hand, when it comes to people who own their STB's, that would be just another slap in the face when were already down and most likely lead to legal action.

Most likely there will be no kill signal but rather a hit on your credit report if you don't return leased equipment. Placing a credit hit is really easy, it's getting it off that takes a lot of work and time.

On a side note, if they did send a signal with a delayed kill. I have had one Voom system disconnected while I monitor what E* is doing at 61.5. So maybe that one is safe.

LMAO a hit on my credit report. I think thats a joke myself. If you own HDTV's and can afford to pay 100 bucks a month in programming to voom (not to mention those with multiple services) and have the cash to scream for HDDVR's, own expensive home theater equpiment, etc then you probably have a home already, have bought more cars in your lifetime than you can remember, have every credit card known to mankind etc. I just dont see how that is very threatening.

You would be surprised. I worked at a bank a long, long time ago. I recall situations where there were customers who had EXCELLENT credit ratings but also had a single open item where some small amount was turned over to collection. These customers were stunned when something like an auto loan was turned down.

Reality is that if you leased the boxes they do not belong to you. If you try to keep them it is theft. The lease on an apartment may not explicitely state that you need to move out along with your belongings when the lease terminates. I do not think you will find a court symapthetic to your keeping the apartment or the boxes.

I do not know why Voom would want them back but I also do not understand why anyone would feel it is their right to keep them.

Is it possible for Voom to send a kill signal to just those boxes that are leased and NOT effect the boxes that were purchased? Seems to me if they can't differentiate between the two, then sending a kill signal is not an option.

They can send a signal to an individual box if they want. That is how they authorize programming. So yes, they could certainly send a kill signal to leased boxes only.

vurbano said:
LMAO a hit on my credit report. I think thats a joke myself. If you own HDTV's and can afford to pay 100 bucks a month in programming to voom (not to mention those with multiple services) and have the cash to scream for HDDVR's, own expensive home theater equpiment, etc then you probably have a home already, have bought more cars in your lifetime than you can remember, have every credit card known to mankind etc. I just dont see how that is very threatening.

You'll find out the next time you apply for one of those credit cards or any loan how threatening it is.

Amphicar770 said:
You would be surprised. I worked at a bank a long, long time ago. I recall situations where there were customers who had EXCELLENT credit ratings but also had a single open item where some small amount was turned over to collection. These customers were stunned when something like an auto loan was turned down.

Reality is that if you leased the boxes they do not belong to you. If you try to keep them it is theft. The lease on an apartment may not explicitely state that you need to move out along with your belongings when the lease terminates. I do not think you will find a court symapthetic to your keeping the apartment or the boxes.

I do not know why Voom would want them back but I also do not understand why anyone would feel it is their right to keep them.

At least the intelligent people understand, Thank you AMP :D :D

Amphicar770 said:
They can send a signal to an individual box if they want. That is how they authorize programming. So yes, they could certainly send a kill signal to leased boxes only.

And it's a rather simple program at that.

I honestly don't care if they collect or not the STB's. But if they send the kill signal, they better collect my boxes. Otherwise, I'll send them COD to Jim Dolan. :D

Walter L. said:
I honestly don't care if they collect or not the STB's. But if they send the kill signal, they better collect my boxes. Otherwise, I'll send them COD to Jim Dolan. :D
My point exactly, Im not lifting a finger unless they want to pay for my time.

Amphicar770 said:

What was really said here?

ptech said:
At least the intelligent people understand

You must not be a member of that group. Because you clearly didnt understand my post ptech. My point was that there are people in this world that have all the credit they need already and have purchased their homes and etc. Some even now pay cash for their major purchases. Frankly it does scare me. I am in no way advocated stealing Vooms' boxes. Personaaly I dont want them. Compared to my other OTA tuner they are clumsy at best in troubleshooting an OTA signal. But if their return involves anything more than me placing the reciever on my doorstep in a prepaid box that they provide then they wont be getting them back. :rolleyes:

This does however bring up another issue. A prudent thing to do is for every Voom subscriber to write Voom a letter giving them 60 days to retrieve their equipment or else consider it abandoned property.

Walter L. said:
Funny,so you would pay upfront COD plus shipping in hope that you would get reimbursed for your unrequested return?

vurbano said:
You must not be a member of that group. Because you clearly didnt understand my post ptech. My point was that there are people in this world that have all the credit they need already and have purchased their homes and etc. Some even now pay cash for their major purchases. Frankly it does scare me. I am in no way advocated stealing Vooms' boxes. But if their return involves anything more than me placing the reciever on my doorstep in a prepaid box that they provide then they wont be getting them back.:rolleyes:

There are 4 groups or camps when it comes to returning the STB's.
1)Those who purchased them and will keep them
2)Those who leased them and realize the STB's are CV or Voom property and will be returned no matter what.
3)The group as Vurbano is a member who figure Voom can follow their own rules and have a third party do the collecting to keep with the hands off by the customer policy to the end
4)And the last group of STB leasees who feel Voom owes them something as if they have been damaged or hurt by Voom . They want to keep the boxes as compensation.

I am firmly in group 2 and have NO respect for group 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts