SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
From

Scott Greczkowski
Link http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51513&page=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennh73
Come on Scott, give up the info on Voom, its it going to stay HDlite for us that dont have Mpeg 4 and will it be HDlite in MPeg 4 also?

Scott:
I am sorry to say that it WILL be staying downrezed, even after the move to MPEG4.

Quote:
And will the ESPN 2 an UHD be HDLite also?

Scott:
No for ESPN as it is 720p but yes for UHD.

Quote:
I need to know soon cause if its HDLite im jumping ship.

Scott:
I am not sure where you are going to jump too, I taked to a few big cable MSO's today and it looks like it is going to become a standard that they all down rez. Kind of sad if you asked me.

Where there u go everyone, Dish screwing us over and lie to us about HDLite. I am so done with them and all the companys as i feel now that i and so many others have wasted all this money on HD and wil never really ever get what we paid for.

:mad:

Last edited:
First post, although I've been loving this site for some time.

This truly stinks. I'm not a tech head but even I could tell that there was something 'off' about the picture quality of voom towards the end of December.

The problem is that as much as I would love true HD, the fact is that even HD lite is better than anything else out there. or am I wrong? if there is another cable or satellite company that will offer true HD please let me know and I'll gladly jump.

Until then I'll just curse under my breath, swallow my pride, stick with DISH because it still seems better than any of the other options and count the days (maybe a year or 2) til i can buy my HD DVD player to truly experience real HD.

BTW, Is HDnet the only true HD channel around? Their picture seems to be the clearest and most detailed out of any channel I watch

Killswitchengage said:
This truly stinks. I'm not a tech head but even I could tell that there was something 'off' about the picture quality of voom towards the end of December.
The problem is that as much as I would love true HD, the fact is that even HD lite is better than anything else out there. or am I wrong? if there is another cable or satellite company that will offer true HD please let me know and I'll gladly jump.
Until then I'll just curse under my breath, swallow my pride, stick with DISH because it still seems better than any of the other options and count the days (maybe a year or 2) til i can buy my HD DVD player to truly experience real HD.
BTW, Is HDnet the only true HD channel around? Their picture seems to be the clearest and most detailed out of any channel I watch

Well im having some issues with Discovery Channel, it looks good sometimes but then sometimes its fuzzy and not that detailed.

And even TNT upconverts there stuff to HD and it looks better than Voom on my tv.

I dont know about everyone on here, but where i live, regular cable on a regular tv looks alot better than Voom HD on my DLP.

Maybe its just my tv i dont know. But Hd on Equator was golden till they did this, now it breaks up all the time and just dont look any better than any other channel on regular cable with regular tv.

glennh73 said:
Well im having some issues with Discovery Channel, it looks good sometimes but then sometimes its fuzzy and not that detailed.
And even TNT upconverts there stuff to HD and it looks better than Voom on my tv.
I dont know about everyone on here, but where i live, regular cable on a regular tv looks alot better than Voom HD on my DLP.
Maybe its just my tv i dont know. But Hd on Equator was golden till they did this, now it breaks up all the time and just dont look any better than any other channel on regular cable with regular tv.

Tonight, all the VOOM channels are looking really good. I bet Charlie has his techs really watching the bit errors so everything looks its best at CES.

Killswitchengage said:

This is EXACTLY why Dish should take the bandwidth hit and carry ALL the HD channel's they'll offer in full HD, since they could net all the HD purists who'd flock from Cable and Direct just because the picture is perfect. With this being the case even if I kinda don't want to for the basic 5 HD if Dish will FORCE the downrez on me even WITH the MPEG4 new stuff I will cancel the HD Pack since I REFUSE to pay for this downrezzed crap. I wish some FTA provider would be able to offer the HD channels in true HD but fat chance.
I suggest everyone here who wants the basic 5 kept separate because they're TRUE HD to contact Mark Cuban and explain your dilemma. If Dish won't listen he will and will give Dish a major load of crap since he's bout quality, bitching about MPEG4 and how the compression makes the pic look shittier.

Last edited:
Im waiting till monday for the Chat to see if maybe things change, but if not then Dish is gone for good.

RIP PRIMESTAR!

With all this playing around I can tell the difference on my Sony KDF-50WE655 even at 1368.... Dish needs to quit messing around and get all HD channels back to HD.:mad:

goaliebob99 said:
then we can start the protest :hungry:

Why? We did that when VOOM was first downrezzed...it worked real well, obviously. THey didnt hear a damn thing we said in those emails, or MPEG4 wouldn't be HD-lite.

CES 2006...the day full HD died.

oh and by the way Rdinkel, lots of the mpeg2 1280x1080i Voom are running at really high 16 Mbps bitrates right now, I wonder why?? could it be because of CES :mad:

16 Mbps does 1920x1080i HD just fine, Dish check your other HD channels on 110, most of them are under 15 Mbps and 1920x1080i

Dish, what a bunch of lying clowns

-Gary

I swear I am so frustrated right now. Its almost like I want to throw my f**king 811 out the damn door right now. I wish that I could talk to charlie myself. I would ask his ass why are they down rezzing the signal when most are below 15mbps anyway @ 1920x1080i and then your going to put them at 1280x1080i a little below 15 or 14 mbps. What gives? How are they doing anything that is going to save them any space?

At least we have OTA. I've got a itch right now to sell my 811 on E Bay while I can and just buy a OTA receiver with a hard drive in it.

This is has to be BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT of the entire CES event coming from Dish. This rollercoaster makes very little sense since we rationalized that when the number of Voom channels were cut from 21 to 15 it was with the intention of doing the right thing and putting these channels back at Full Resolution. But we were indeed fools to believe this. How I wish there was an alternative right now. How I wish FIOS was on the horizon for my area. I would have dumped both of these satellite companies like hot potatoes.

It makes you really mad that they are playing the back and forth game with this issue because new subscribers won't know the difference of what is HD Lite and Full Resolution. Heck! there are some who can't see the difference right now no matter how much explaining one does. Sorry guys but I have to vent on this one. I am furious right now because this Freaking HD Lite is agonizing and makes you to want to drop everything, sell the HDTV and go and buy a 17" and start watching analog channels once again. What a bunch of idiots these people are....

I'm watching HD I recorded (OTA) off PBS-HD that looks better that what the VOOM channels look like now...

This is so frustraiting indeed! Remember that both Dish and VOOM promised 21 HD channels by January? This didn't happened. Not a single VOOM channel added in January. Only 5 channels are promised to be released in February, the existing 10 are all downrezed and now we are told that all new channels will be downrezed too! Why? Because others are doing the same!

Congratulations Dish Network on becoming the HD-Lite Leader!
You will now have more HD-Lite channels than DirecTV!

What happened to the announcement not long ago about the rest of the VoOm HD channels going full rez when they get launched (was going to be this month) and the ones we get now going to full rez too. Lies. Lies. NBR for 501, 508, 510? LIES.

Did you really expect a lot of HD content like the ones announced to be possible putting HD at full rez? Most new HD subs will not notice that anything was down rezzed. They will be wowed and care about having more and more HD content.

Now maybe when most of the HD markets are launched then we can start expecting national HD channels to get the full HD resolution.

My only hope is that HD-DVD (coming out in two months and Blu-ray coming out soon after) will clearly demonstrate that High Definition can look much-much better than what satellite and cable companies are feeding us with...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts