VOOM vs DISH on HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JianDan

Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
I made a similar posting in the DISH Forum.
I currently subsrcibe to VOOM. I wouldn't say I am happy with all VOOM provided, but I really like the HD image quality on my 40" Sony CRT HDTV. My problem now with VOOM is that VOOM cannot provide a schedule on when it will have a HD DVR ready, and I like the price of DISH's 921. I am therefore thinking moving to the DISHNEWWORK. I am wondering if anyone can comment if the HD image quality is comparable between the two providers?

Thanks.

What just 48 hours to find what is shown at CES in Las Vegas. It startes today. Follow the progress on here or at AVSForum.com All the major annoucements will be well documented in both places.

I too have voom and could not pass up 921. It rocks so much better then voom box. Just not enough HD! but I beleive local HD looks better on 921

I seem to be the only one in the Voom forum who thinks DishHD looks much better than Voom does. Voom suffers from mosquito noise and it is quite apparent on my 110" screen, especially on Equator, Gallery, Auction and Ultra, though it does affect ALL HD channels to some degree and it varies between programs quite a bit, from none to tons.

It doesn't get any better anywhere than HDNET on Dish. I doubt the quality of Voom would be much of an issue on a 40" 4:3 TV. If the PVR is your biggest concern, then go for it, but it will cost you $500.

For some reason, HD PQ is in the toilet on Voom today. I browsed through all the Voom exclusives and every single one except Rave was mosquitoville. Several movies I had seen before were absolutely horrible today.

I sure hope they are not playing around with compression to try to make room for more channels.

DarrellP said:
For some reason, HD PQ is in the toilet on Voom today. I browsed through all the Voom exclusives and every single one except Rave was mosquitoville. Several movies I had seen before were absolutely horrible today.

I sure hope they are not playing around with compression to try to make room for more channels.
You have somme serious problems, man... I never seen anything like that.

My experience with E* is the PQ sucks across the board SD and HD. There customer service is the worst. I would never recommend E*. It took me 2 months, the BBB and talking to one of the VP's at EchoStar to get them to come get there equipment and refund my money. At one point the VP let slip that the PQ will always be an issue with E* because of the way they handle local stations and run compression to accommodate them, but I don't really know much about that, just what my eyes saw.

Now the PQ from my Voom box is beautiful, like looking threw a window. I couldn't comment on there CSR's as I have never had to call them. (Although I have only been a customer of Voom for a short time) I get all my locals with the OTA and I am a happy Voomer.

You do mean Dishnetwork when you say D*? Just to clarify it is E* for Echostar/Dishnetwork and it is D* for Directv.

Dish Network always looked good to me at 1080i on my Sony G70 CRT projector on a 8' wide DaLite Permwall screen. Until...

Had Voom installed and did a A-B test of image quality using Discovery HD as the material. Voom blows Dish out of the water hands down. Much, much better HD image quality with Voom.

I have said this before, the Voom image is almost 3 D compared to Dish. Voom looks wetter, more dimensional and more like a real image through a picture window.

Voom is king due to lack of compression. Hope it stays that way!

Well I had a friend come over today at around 6pm central time. I wanted to show off Voom to him. He was not impressed. The PQ today sucks really bad. Grainy, mosquito noise on almost all chanels, and numerous 1-2 second blackouts on numerous channels. I found myself making excuses for Voom. My friend just smiled and said "you pay $100 a month for this?" He said he'd stick with cable for now. Voom I am really trying to like you and stay with you but you are making it very difficult. And before anyone says anything I did have 95% on the signal meter. What's going on? I'm embarrassed and Voom should be too.

Indy said:
Dish Network always looked good to me at 1080i on my Sony G70 CRT projector on a 8' wide DaLite Permwall screen. Until...

Had Voom installed and did a A-B test of image quality using Discovery HD as the material. Voom blows Dish out of the water hands down. Much, much better HD image quality with Voom.

I have said this before, the Voom image is almost 3 D compared to Dish. Voom looks wetter, more dimensional and more like a real image through a picture window.

Voom is king due to lack of compression. Hope it stays that way!
Gee that's funny, I have just the opposite experience, Voom is mosquitoville, soft, unsaturated and flat (at least the Cinema10 channels).

Dish's Discovery, HDNET & HDNET Movies kick Voom's butt bigtime.

FWIW, I have a replacement Voom stb coming on Monday, I sure hope it fixes the PQ issues I have or else I am dropping Voom like a hot potato. I am not going to continue to pay them $74/month for this crap. :no

Let me know if the new receiver fixes the PQ problems. I'm seeing the same thing you are and if it works for you I'll ask to have mine changed out too. Thanks. If not I may go to Dish. PQ is much more important to me than quantity. Just about everything Voom shows I have already seen over and over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)