VOOM was a great deal!!!

Dan Berndt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
You know we got so use to complaining about VOOM we lost sight of what a great deal it was. With the basic VOOM package we got all the local is both SD and HD, 130 SD channels PLUS the VOOM 21 HD original channels PLUS TNT-HD, UHD, Discovery-HD and ESPNHD all for $49.95 (I was a charter member so I also got Starz for free and paid only $39.95 per month). With cable you can't even get any digital channels at that price. And with the other satellite providers you are just barely getting out the SD barrel at this price.

I miss VOOM!!! :(

i agree. now i'm ota only, trying to mull over my options :(

1) ahellphia
2) e* and commit to 1 yr.
3) d* and get hd-lite and no TNT HD

VaVaVoom was a steal! I got every single movie channel which also included the most HD movie channels available plus SD and didn't have to buy any equipment plus free installation and never payed a penny more than $79.90/month. Check out D* and E* everything package. Approx. $93/mo before HD package with much less HD movie channels. I need a calculator to figure out the price of cable premium packages Goes well over $100! I Miss VOOM too!!! :(

VOOM gave us the same channels in a package that DirecTV & Cable nickel and dime us to death in order to receive. And nobody offers all 5 premium movie HD channels such as 1-HBO-HD,2-SHOWTIME HD,3-STARZ HD,4-CINEMAX HD,5-THE MOVIE CHANNEL HD. I am having to take both Dish and Cable together to get anywhere near what I got on VOOM and it is simply not as good.
Maybe 10 years from now........

barth2k said:
i agree. now i'm ota only, trying to mull over my options :(

1) ahellphia

heh...good luck. Read my experiences in the adelphia forum here. They sucked years ago and they still suck now. They are currently the cheapest though. I get the full thing with all the premiums and the HD pack (a measly 13 channels) for about 81/mo, and that's with an HD DVR.

I chose them because they have no contract and are generally the cheapest. I'm going to wait a couple of months and wait for things to settle down before I switch to something else. Maybe directv will have something by then. Dish's offers are just too confusing and their "free" offer seems to be nothing of the sort for many people.

Yep. You guys are right.

None of my current options are any good compared to my old VaVaVumin. No OTA here. So we are spending our monthly Voom money toward video rentals and movie theaters until something more like Voom comes along. We will use our Voom money to go see Star Wars III in a couple of weeks. ;)

We only want HD. We are not happy with the selection of Voom10 channels that Dish ended up carrying. So we will wait and see what happens next...

VOOMLESS IN SANTA ROSA

I agree about Voom and it having been a great deal....it's sad to read about these Dish guys trying to defend their sat. company when I complain......they'll never know what we had....so they can't understand us being so unhappy!

And voom knew the true definition of the word FREE. Dish thinks free means $350 (dish + dvr).
I knew people hated E* for a reason.

All I can say is yes, and yes, and yes...I'm feeling a little luckier than some though, since I do have the option of cable for my OTA (although I get most of of what I want through the VoOm antenna!)...for only $78 per month I can pick up that extra OTA local that I want...!!! PLUS another whole 6 HD Channels. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thank God for Netflix!! And God Bless VoOm...forever and ever...Vicki :river

Dan Berndt said:
You know we got so use to complaining about VOOM we lost sight of what a great deal it was. :(
I don't think I ever did lose sight of what a great deal it was. That's what attracted me in the first place, and what kept me.

As far as other deals go, Dish's HD Only deal ain't looking' too bad to me -- 15 HD channels for $20/month to complement my seven OTA's. Sure, there're some pretty steep startup costs if ya don't wanna jump through hoops hunting for the cheapest way to get it set up, but I think I can live with that.

TheTimm said:
...Sure, there're some pretty steep startup costs...
You betcha there are some pretty steep startup costs. Especially when we don't know how quickly things will change again. How soon we will have to buy all new stuff. I don't want a rooftop full of dead dishes to keep my dead Voom dish company. There is Super Dish coming?, whatever that is. Mpeg4 coming? which might render the current crop of DVRs obsolete. And when exactly will the entire Voom21 be available? What will DirecTV be doing meanwhile in June?

Way too much up in the air right now for my comfort. :no :no :no Whatever I do get has got to last me. Voom10 has only 2 of the 4 channels I watched. Not good enough.

VaVaVoom was PERFECT compared to all this! Of course, how could we complain? We were subsidized to the tune of $661 million. You don't run into a deal like that every day!

VOOMLESS IN SANTA ROSA

That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.....

People usually complain about a good thing and then look back in retrospect and realize that it wasn't that bad after all. I enjoyed all the channels in HD that they offered as well as the overly compressed SD channels. I'd take overly compressed SD channels any day to staticy analog that I have to put up with watching everyday on cable. It may have not been a sharp picture on the SD, but at least the picture was clean and free of noise(not digital noise that is but I prefer to see digital noise to analog noise any day)..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)