VOOM will be back -- on DISH!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, before you throw me out --- just hear me out. I have watched the latest Charlie Chat 2 times and especially listened to Charlies response to carry VOOM.

First, he did not say the words, no, never, not in a million years, not going to happen.

Second, he did not say abosolutely, yes, gonna happen tommorow, you betcha ya.

Third, He did say that after conversion to MPEG4 (why would he meantion this if VOOM was not going to continue) and after a smaller VOOM selection (meationed in this forum by several posters - including myself) that you might see this on Dish this fall or first part of next year.

Okay, breath --- in-out --- in-out. Did Charlie say that VOOM has to be converted to MPEG4 --- Why? Did he say after a reorganized VOOM? -- Why? Did he say after the HD to MPEG4 conversion this fall? --WHY??

Conclusion-- You will see a new VOOM HD service -fewer HD channels (my guess is around 10 to 14) that will be offered first by Dish Network and then by DirectTV and HD cable companies accross the US.

This is what I believe that the Dolans' have wanted all along and all this postering is so that the FCC will approve the sale of Rainbow1 and the frequencies at that location to Dish. There is no more VOOM after April 30 and no one else jumped on the bandwagon for that satellite. It gave Cablevision the proper timespan to turn everything off and end the current VOOM service.

This explains why last year Cablevision and Dish execs were meeting not only here in the USA but also in Europe. This also explains why when I purchased my 811 from the advanced CSR (had to go to him for the $149 price) suggested to have the dish for the 65 satellite put up. His words exactly were "For future HD you are probably going to need that dish." Think he knew something we didn't? :)

Man, I hope your right. I am in So Cali and was thinking of Dish, think I will look into it now...

Chill dude. There is more speculation than reality in your thoughts. Let's see if we can break it down:
JoeSp said:
Okay, before you throw me out --- just hear me out. I have watched the latest Charlie Chat 2 times and especially listened to Charlies response to carry VOOM.

First, he did not say the words, no, never, not in a million years, not going to happen.
He rarely does. All channels not yet offered are 'in negotiations'. He doesn't want to shut the door permanently on any content.
JoeSp said:
Second, he did not say abosolutely, yes, gonna happen tommorow, you betcha ya.
That's another thing he is learning not to do. Promise something that won't be delivered.
JoeSp said:
Third, He did say that after conversion to MPEG4 (why would he meantion this if VOOM was not going to continue) and after a smaller VOOM selection (meationed in this forum by several posters - including myself) that you might see this on Dish this fall or first part of next year.
All three DBS providers were moving to MPEG4 independent of each other. Voom content isn't a factor in E*'s move --- they are going to MPEG4 regardless. A smaller Voom is mostly a creation of the posters on these forums. C Ergen has lent no credence to rumors of E* carrying any portion of Voom.
JoeSp said:
Okay, breath --- in-out --- in-out. Did Charlie say that VOOM has to be converted to MPEG4 --- Why? Did he say after a reorganized VOOM? -- Why? Did he say after the HD to MPEG4 conversion this fall? --WHY??
No, No and Yes. The why is irrelevant for the first two questions as Charlie didn't make those statements.

As for the third, he was talking a couple of months ago about ALL E* carried HD content moving to MPEG4 plus new content that might be available by then being introduced in MPEG4 content. He did NOT want to introduce new HD channels until the MPEG4 conversion because it would mean more customers to convert. No E* HD receiver on the market today can handle MPEG4 natively or by upgrade.
JoeSp said:
Conclusion-- You will see a new VOOM HD service -fewer HD channels (my guess is around 10 to 14) that will be offered first by Dish Network and then by DirectTV and HD cable companies accross the US.
Nice guess, but when? I believe that Rainbow Media HD content will appear on cable and eventually on E* in some form, but it won't be on E* this year.
JoeSp said:
This explains why last year Cablevision and Dish execs were meeting not only here in the USA but also in Europe. This also explains why when I purchased my 811 from the advanced CSR (had to go to him for the $149 price) suggested to have the dish for the 65 satellite put up. His words exactly were "For future HD you are probably going to need that dish." Think he knew something we didn't? :)
The 61.5 degree dish is most likely going to be used for HD locals, especially if Rainbow1 is used to deliver the spotbeam load it was designed for. If Rainbow Media HD content is added it will be done where the entire nation can see it ... on 110 or 105 and perhaps on 129 which E* is also waiting for permission to use. 129 would be the best bet.

JL

I just got my Dish from a Sr. CSR.

Same thing, you better get that free 2nd dish for you one local you will never watch as you might need it this fall.

He even said- get this " for when Voom is back turned on"

I did not think much of it, after all what do CSRs know. . . .

Actually guys, he's right. But so far there hasn't been an agreement made. Remeber the Voom21 meeting on friday and that I said cablevision was talking to a particulary company about carriage... Hmm...

I just want to be sure I get the right service, and hopefully before the end of the month.... :smug

truggy0 said:
I just want to be sure I get the right service, and hopefully before the end of the month.... :smug
With Voom gone there is no more "right service". Just HD-Lite, tons of SD, and tons of TV commercials. That kind of TV isn't worth paying for.

Yep ,I agree. But since I have this huge ass hd tv I have to find something half desent to watch

I just dont want to make the wrong choice, start sweating when I think about dealing with another provider

Just pick something where you have no upfront costs and no commitment, then when something changes it's no big deal

You make it seem so easy..lololol
I would love a few HD channels and an HD-DVR,then just 2 other regular digital boxes for the bedrooms..
With no upfront cost. IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK!!!!!!!!!!!.That would hold me over..... :clap :clap

Yep, take the no commitment route and see what D*, E* and V* (Verizon) have in store after MPEG-4/FTTP. Adelphia provided the most HD and three low-cost HD DVRs so the choice was an easy one for me. I will be looking for the first available opportunity to dump-the-chump (aka Adelphia). :rolleyes: I would gladly subscribe to VOOM21 content, but there had better be a fair quantity and I am not about to purchase soon to be antiquated hardware.

Nothing can happen until the transaction clears the FCC, unless there's some sort of agreement between Cablevision/E* before that concludes. If there is an agreement, then they'd have to change the encryption encoders, and update all HD receivers to look at both even and odd transponders at 61.5. Currently dish only has odd transponders at 61.5. If (and that's a very big qualifier) those conditions were met, the Voom21 could be "brought up" on E* pretty quickly.

Don't forget there are CONUS and Spot transponders on Rainbow-1, and assuming the mix is right, you could put the Voom21 on CONUS and HD + SD LIL on spot beams in the right markets.

Do I think it's going to happen? Unfortunately not. Ergen seems hell bent on not offering additional HD content until MPEG-4 is rolled out. My skepticism is due to Dish's reluctance over the last two years to bring HD content online aggressively.

Best,

You have to figure that E* has to do something in response to D*'s new capacity and the likelihood that NewsCorp will use its programming resources to provide some exclusive HD content like Fox Movies HD, Fox Sports World HD, National Geographic HD, etc. on D*. These are just some guesses.

I will sub to E* if they use MPEG4 to provide a Voom HD multiplex.

John Kotches said:
Currently dish only has odd transponders at 61.5.
Dish has the EVEN transponders 2-22 and use of six transponders (odd and even) 26-31. Dish transmits transponders 25 and 32 for SkyAngel.

Rainbow1 covers the ODD transponders 1-21 and (via temporary authority) transponders 23 and 24.

Prior to the launch of Rainbow1, E* transmitted on some of RainbowDBS' transponders under special temporary authority. Telling their recievers about the existence of the odd transponders 1-21 (and 23-24 if granted) is trivial. Just a change in a network information table.

JL

Will give my standard reply I will not support Voom even though I would love to the mere fact that money from it would end up trickling down into jimmy dolan's pocket is enough for me to say I will never do it no matter how good it turns out.

I signed on to dish

I just upgraded to dish top 120 and paid $700 for a new , HD dvr942 It is amazing, what i was waiting voom to do. It records with two tuners in HD, and can play back in two different room. My CSR also told me that they are planning on carrying voom VERY SOON. I am keeping my fingers cross and hopefully voom will be on E* first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)