VOOM's 21 HD Channels on DirecTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDVoomer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Any update as to whether or not DirecTV plans on carrying Voom's 21 HD channels?

DirecTV will NEVER broadcast Voom channels, unless they cut a deal with Echostar (Dishnetwork), who bought Voom's satellite...

Alvarez said:
DirectV is actually creating their own HD channels like the Voom exclusives that are rumored to be better...

Now that would be something.. :D

Alvarez said:
DirectV is actually creating their own HD channels like the Voom exclusives that are rumored to be better...

Gee, do ya think someone would come up with something new and say "it's rumored to be ....maybe as good as the competition " ???

(just being sarcastic)

Jimbo

glenglenddd said:
DirecTV will NEVER broadcast Voom channels, unless they cut a deal with Echostar (Dishnetwork), who bought Voom's satellite...
Voom still own's these channels, Not E* so if they wanted to get the Voom channels from Cablevision they could. But there more interested in doing a setup with Fox like Voom, and Fox has a better movie selection. So Cross You Fingers.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually Dish owns a portion of the VOOM channels (I believe it is 20%)

Correct but Dish has no control over who is given future deals for the Voom21. Also as another poster said D* does indeed plan to offer their own Voom type package which will consist of about 5-10 HD channels filled with various content from all of their Fox owned based networks including their huge movie database.

Plywodstatebum said:
Voom still own's these channels, Not E* so if they wanted to get the Voom channels from Cablevision they could. But there more interested in doing a setup with Fox like Voom, and Fox has a better movie selection. So Cross You Fingers.
Plus you have to consider that since these channels are on broadcasted via satellite. Cablevision is required by FCC mandates to make them available to all cable and sat. companies who would like to negotiate aquiring them! But, we also have to remember that in D*'s quarterly call they specifically stated that they are not currently interestd in Voom's 21 package.

hdtvtechno said:
Currently doesn't mean Never :)

Actually, with DirecTV, it often does.

Currently, the USB ports on DirecTiVos are not enabled.
Currently, we will provide LIL HD channels for the first 12 markets.
etc.
etc.
etc.

Rupert & co. were never fond of VOOM. They will not be including those channels if they can help it. Only an FCC "Must-Carry" would change the situation.

I promise you that.

Jimbos said:
Gee, do ya think someone would come up with something new and say "it's rumored to be ....maybe as good as the competition " ???

(just being sarcastic)

Jimbo

hehehe good point but Fox's selection of movies pretty much kills anything Voom has though heh.

Gee... Before you guy speak and be so happy with nothing so far.... Wait until this "supposed" fox channels are released. So far they as thin as air because they do not exist.... Now the fox library of movie maybe great but it is not bad to have MGM, Miramax, Universal, Dimension, Fox library as well, IFilm, Japanese, and European titles among others to draw your movie collection from... Not bad at all. I found it fascinating that everyone make excuses for what they do not have and whatever I have is the best I have because I have it and you do not have it.

The simple question asked by the poster was if these channels are ever going to be on D*. The question is not easy to answer because it is not known yet. The jury is still out and only time could dictate how the market will spin and in which way it will spin. This is a topic for another thread but the market has been dictated by quantity instead of quality so far. This applies to SD and HD channels. It seems like everyone wants more despite the fact that quality is going down the drain on D*. Well, one thing that most E* subs can be happy with so far is that the quantity of HD channels has not drastically affected the quality of the HD channels. Will it remain that way? We shall see but something is certain; the same cannot be said about D*. We only hope that the quantity syndrome does not go into their head with the new "bandwith" and they start caring about the quality of their HD channels. It does not matter if you create a suite of good content channels if your quality sucks big time, IMO. Be careful for what your wish for because you may get 480p quality on HD channels instead of 720p/1080i quality. This is happening now in some channels and it just may go on further if everyone feels that it is fine to do this.

Sean Mota said:
Gee... Before you guy speak and be so happy with nothing so far.... Wait until this "supposed" fox channels are released. So far they as thin as air because they do not exist.... Now the fox library of movie maybe great but it is not bad to have MGM, Miramax, Universal, Dimension, Fox library as well, IFilm, Japanese, and European titles among others to draw your movie collection from... Not bad at all. I found it fascinating that everyone make excuses for what they do not have and whatever I have is the best I have because I have it and you do not have it.

The simple question asked by the poster was if these channels are ever going to be on D*. The question is not easy to answer because it is not known yet. The jury is still out and only time could dictate how the market will spin and in which way it will spin. This is a topic for another thread but the market has been dictated by quantity instead of quality so far. This applies to SD and HD channels. It seems like everyone wants more despite the fact that quality is going down the drain on D*. Well, one thing that most E* subs can be happy with so far is that the quantity of HD channels has not drastically affected the quality of the HD channels. Will it remain that way? We shall see but something is certain; the same cannot be said about D*. We only hope that the quantity syndrome does not go into their head with the new "bandwith" and they start caring about the quality of their HD channels. It does not matter if you create a suite of good content channels if your quality sucks big time, IMO. Be careful for what your wish for because you may get 480p quality on HD channels instead of 720p/1080i quality. This is happening now in some channels and it just may go on further if everyone feels that it is fine to do this.

LOL who said they were happy with it? No need to try to argue over anything... because flat out... noone knows :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts