VOOM's 21 HD Channels to Which Dish Service and PQ?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
IF VOOM's 21 HD channels are sold to another satellite company, which would it be? Also, what would that do to it's HD PQ? Sorry if this was treated in another thread or forum, but hadn't really thought about this scenario. Will the 21 channels ONLY go to Cable and if you don't have Cable, you are a loser?

IMHO I don't think that D* will be picking them up, at least until 2007, since they have other HD channels that customers want but can't get due to bandwidth issues. My best bet would be cable companies and they'd put in on their systems once the move all the analog channels to digital since then they'll have a bunch of bandwidth available.

The only possibility I see is that the VOOM21(or a subset) continue being operated by Rainbow Media (just like WE, IFC, etc). Then, they will offer the channels to providers like D*, E* and cable companies. However, this is very unlikely to succeed, given the bandwidth constraints that ALL providers suffer today.
PQ would depend on the providers.

Walter L. said:
The only possibility I see is that the VOOM21(or a subset) continue being operated by Rainbow Media (just like WE, IFC, etc). Then, they will offer the channels to providers like D*, E* and cable companies. However, this is very unlikely to succeed, given the bandwidth constraints that ALL providers suffer today.
PQ would depend on the providers.

Hold on a second there, Walt: Dish is about to get an extra satellite - the very one Voom is using to deliver these channels!

I'm new (6 weeks) and D* = Dish Net and E* = Direct TV? Or do I have it reversed? So VOOM 21 might float around out in purgatory or cable-space only and it will continue--as HD News, Rave, Rush, Ultra, Auction, Movie Complex, etc ONLY for Cable in cities, but it will be "YEARS" before either of the 2 Satellite Networks can provide it to customers?

I guess, then, I see no hope in subscribing to either of them right now. DIrect has the best channel lineup for SD, but it's HD is very skinny -- no meat at all -- but it has Universatl HD, whereas Dish as TNT HD--otherwise the HD offerings are the same.

What is the PQ diff between Dish and Direct as to SD PQ and HD PQ?

T2k said:
Hold on a second there, Walt: Dish is about to get an extra satellite - the very one Voom is using to deliver these channels!

A satellite that D* will force them to fill with HDLIL when they launch spaceway1 and 2 this summer. I see things shaking out as follows. Just as we went through years of satellite LIL additions we will experience about 2 years of HDLIL with HD national network "bones" thrown our way to pacify us for the next 2 years. D* will do this by adding maybe espn2hd and TNTHD this year. After that maybe someone will add channels like Vooms'

If cables and/or Dish pick up the Voom21 channels, my sense tell me it's not going to be 21 anymore... ther'll be no more HDNews, Family Room, Ultra, Auction, Gallery, Lab, Animania, perhaps even HaHa, Majestic and Vice would be gone, maybe Equator too.

Best case I think about a dozen channel would survive if it's about cutting cost somewhere.

CSR indicated that the programming would probably go to time/warner, and Adelphia

I wouldn't count on dish or direct to get it

vurbano said:
A satellite that D* will force them to fill with HDLIL when they launch spaceway1 and 2 this summer. I see things shaking out as follows. Just as we went through years of satellite LIL additions we will experience about 2 years of HDLIL with HD national network "bones" thrown our way to pacify us for the next 2 years. D* will do this by adding maybe espn2hd and TNTHD this year. After that maybe someone will add channels like Vooms'

Oh, no... don't say that. I HATE THIS LOCAL MANIA - how many locals do you actually watch? The only reason I do watch locals because some of them HD already and airs some series like CSI (my wife's addicted to it :)).

F**k locals, give me my HD favourites including Filmfest, WorldCinema, KungFu, GuyTV, Majestic, Divine, Equator, Worldsport, Rush and Rave! :cool::yes:yes:yes

jeslevine said:
CSR indicated that the programming would probably go to time/warner, and Adelphia

I wouldn't count on dish or direct to get it

I'd be fine with Time Warner, I can get that home.

T2k said:
I'd be fine with Time Warner, I can get that home.

I just called Cox Cable here in Phoenix, and they currently have 8 HD channels (Not including local HD) and the csr at Cox told me that they would be adding OLN HD next month and they have plans to add at least one HD channel a month! This is probably just all smoke and mirrors, and I have not seen what kind of PQ they have yet. I may visit one of their offices to see what the demo looks like, but it still will not compare to what V* has been delivering!! :no

jbphoenix said:
I just called Cox Cable here in Phoenix, and they currently have 8 HD channels (Not including local HD) and the csr at Cox told me that they would be adding OLN HD next month and they have plans to add at least one HD channel a month! This is probably just all smoke and mirrors, and I have not seen what kind of PQ they have yet. I may visit one of their offices to see what the demo looks like, but it still will not compare to what V* has been delivering!! :no

And I bet it's only the usual crap like HBO and such... the main point in Voom is their own channels - technically I listen news channels, watch only JS' Daily Show on Comedy, only Bill Maher on HBO and rest of my TV is the Voom originals. That's it and I really feel myself like I've been ripped off - what the heck should I watch after Apr 30??? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)