Voom's free switchover offer to Dish far from free...

truggy0 said:
Is the quality alot better than the 942 for hd
MPEG4 is an encryption technology, much like MPEG2 but better (twice as much content in the same space).

The 942 is a receiver. It, like all other E* receivers on the market, uses the MPEG2 compression format.

In the fall E* will release MPEG4 receivers. None are available at this time. It isn't a case of it being better or worse since ALL E* feeds, beginning with the HD feeds, will be transmitted only in MPEG4. You will need a new receiver.

JL

I notice there's a brand new JVC 6000 system with dish and everything on ebay for $250. Would this be a good deal?

When you refer to a legacy dish, is that the old single LNB dish?

If so, I could kick myself now because I had one up until last summer when I moved and switched providers.

But if I could get that receiver and add the 2nd dish, aim it at 110, use my current Voom dish for 61.5 then I'd be good to go?

What combiner, multi-switch or whatever would I need to get?

Again, just interested in subscribing to HD channels...

ChrisDuncan said:
So you have to get a 6000 receiver to use Voom's LNB?

One final question: do the 6000 receivers also do OTA HD?

Thanks
The 6000 has 2 expansion slots in the back, 1 for the sat decoder and 1 for OTA. If it has both modules, then yes, it is ready to go. Make sure it has the 8psk and 8vsb mods, the 8psk is for the sat HD and the 8vsb is for OTA.

ChrisDuncan said:
But if I could get that receiver and add the 2nd dish, aim it at 110, use my current Voom dish for 61.5 then I'd be good to go?

What combiner, multi-switch or whatever would I need to get?

Again, just interested in subscribing to HD channels...
Yep, plus you would need a switch 21 to tie the 2 sats together. You should be able to pick one up for about $20.

DarrellP said:
Timm, you should look for a Dish 6000 either through these forums or Ebay. There was one on this forum in the Classifieds 2 weeks ago for $200 and I almost snatched it up, I wish I would have now. If you use a 6000, all you would need to add is a sw21 to tie the 110 dish and the 61.5 dish together and you can call up, activate the receiver and get just the HD Pack. The 6000 uses the existing Voom LNB.

Do you have another dish you can point at 110? It can be a legacy dish if you get a 6000.

One other thing, Timm, if you need another legacy dish, I will give you one for the cost of shipping, I have 2 of them laying around.
Thanks for the offer and the advice, Darrel -- I might just be taking you up on it. I think I'm going to talk to a guy at work today first though. He's always talking about having Dish receivers to sell, but I've never really paid attention to just what he was talking about. And I'm not sure I'm up for the hassle of trying to install it myself and all. I think if I can get a decent price on a receiver, I'll let Dish go ahead and get me started -- assuming I can get it all done for under $450.

justalurker said:
MPEG4 is an encryption technology, much like MPEG2 but better (twice as much content in the same space).

It has nothing to do with encryption. It's a compression.

Encryption is an entirely different thing.

justalurker said:

The 942 is a receiver. It, like all other E* receivers on the market, uses the MPEG2 compression format.

In the fall E* will release MPEG4 receivers. None are available at this time. It isn't a case of it being better or worse since ALL E* feeds, beginning with the HD feeds, will be transmitted only in MPEG4. You will need a new receiver.

JL

Thanks for clearing that up for me..Wil the mpeg-4 be a DVR also????

The other cool thing about the 6000 is that it is easily mod'ed by 169time for firewire extraction ;). Bad part is that with the OTA module, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I happen to have an old Dish 18" that I could use for the $100 dish. When I asked a CSR if I could use that instead of having to buy a new one she put me on hold to talk to a supervisor.

She came back and told me yes they could use it. But it would be put in on a seperate service call and I would be charged $59.95 for the installer to aim the dish!!! :eek:

Time to start shopping CSR's.

Or call a local installer.

I would try a different CSR and tell them you were already quoted with a free install of that dish, and your just calling back to confirm..........

Are they planning on moving the Voom programming on to one sat? Because having two dishes on your roof is real ugly IMO. Also how many people are really going to get a second dish put up for the Voom HD channels when most havn't even heard of those channels.

Hmmmmmm....

:confused:
Not sure what to believe at this point. I called again this morning. This time they sang a completely different tune.

$149.99 for the install/activation/whatever -- includes 2 dishes, all cable and crap, and an 811 receiver which I won't own but won't be charged a monthly lease fee for either. And $49.99 will be refunded on my first bill. And yes this is for just the HD channels at $19.99/month. I didn't think this was possible to do without owning the equipment, but that's how the guy set it up. I questioned him repeatedly to make sure we were talking about the same things -- 2 dishes, 811 that I don't own but "lease" for free, all the current "HD Pak" channel plus the new "Voom10" channels for a total monthly bill of $19.99/month. He assured me that that's exactly what he's offering. I jumped at it of course. But I won't really believe it unless they actually show up on Sunday and install everything and give me paperwork saying that's what the deal is. If it actually happens like that, I will be one happy DishVoomer!

TheTimm said:
:confused:
Not sure what to believe at this point. I called again this morning. This time they sang a completely different tune.

$149.99 for the install/activation/whatever -- includes 2 dishes, all cable and crap, and an 811 receiver which I won't own but won't be charged a monthly lease fee for either. And $49.99 will be refunded on my first bill. And yes this is for just the HD channels at $19.99/month. I didn't think this was possible to do without owning the equipment, but that's how the guy set it up. I questioned him repeatedly to make sure we were talking about the same things -- 2 dishes, 811 that I don't own but "lease" for free, all the current "HD Pak" channel plus the new "Voom10" channels for a total monthly bill of $19.99/month. He assured me that that's exactly what he's offering. I jumped at it of course. But I won't really believe it unless they actually show up on Sunday and install everything and give me paperwork saying that's what the deal is. If it actually happens like that, I will be one happy DishVoomer!

Wow! I wonder if by paying the $249/month up front I could get the HD channels plus Voom and a 942 without having to buy the SD channels? Hmmmmm! Now *that* would be attractive!

CDH.

DarrellP said:
Timm, I hope you recorded your conversation, you'll get screwed somewhere.
Didn't record it. But while I would be surprised if I actually get the deal as described, I won't get screwed. I'm not signing a thing until I understand what it is and what it says I'm agreeing to. If I have to send the installer away without having Dish, so be it.

Well, after seemingly endless nonsense I'm finally re-voOmed.

Of course I did not end up getting that $149.99 deal I was told -- didn't think I would. Basically the dude had me signed up for the AT60, too. After a ridiculous amount of time on the phone this afternoon I finally got back to the original deal I signed up for (post #25 of this thread) -- $449 out of pocket, $19.99/month for the HDPak and the Voom channels. I'll take it, thank you very much. Oh, and the last in the line of Dish folks I talked to today said that the HDPak (9.99/month) would be free for the first six months or half off for the first year (she couldn't figure out which) -- I'll believe that when I see it.

Timm, glad to hear you survived the ordeal and are once again VOOMin'. Personally, I would elect to purchase the receivers and subscribe to the HD Packs only...but the misses has to have her Lifetime. Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed for this Thursday.

truggy0 said:
Ok I can you guys fill me in on the mpeg4, is it that much better than the 942??
If you change you picture to something les REPULSIVE, I will. No personal challenge intended. :)

justalurker said:
JL
Don't know if I would say better. If it was better the motion picture industry would use it. It compresses more but has a time restraint in doing that so that motion might appear jerky or somewhat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts