Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Voom’s HD Shows Keep On Shooting

<HR style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px" width="100%" color=#0056a9 noShade SIZE=1>Courtesy of our friends at MultiChannelNews.COM
By Kent Gibbons 4/25/2005
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=160 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=table bgColor=#eeeeee></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Contributors: Steve Donohue, Linda Haugsted.

Voom’s HD Shows Keep On Shooting

While Cablevision Systems Corp.’s Voom unit is set to go dark on April 30, the company still reportedly plans to continue shooting programming for some of the original Voom channels after the plug is pulled on the HDTV satellite-TV service.

Scott Greczkowski, who runs the Web site SatelliteGuys.US (www.satelliteguys.us), said last week that an announcer on Voom’s HD soccer channel told him of plans to continue shooting games for WorldSport HD after April 30. Employees at Voom’s Auction HD channel are also scheduled to cover live auctions in May.

Cablevision won’t comment beyond an earlier statement it would “analyze whether its Voom 21 channels can be marketed to other satellite and cable providers as part of the company’s Rainbow programming operations.”

In the meantime, Voom’s 46,000 subs are weighing whether to buy an HD programming package from DirecTV Inc., EchoStar Communications Corp. or their local cable operator after Voom dies. And while some Voom subs are trying to sell their equipment on eBay, others still hope that their receivers, which can also decrypt over-the-air signals, will still allow them to get local broadcast HD channels. That would save them the cost of shelling out $500 for a broadcast receiver.

Cablevision spokeswoman Kim Kerns declined to comment when asked if Cablevision would send an electronic signal to the Voom receivers that would kill their ability to watch free broadcast HD channels with the boxes.

But some Voom customers have posted messages on Greczkowski’s site saying their receivers lost the ability to transmit broadcast signals after they canceled their Voom subscriptions.

Bronx, N.Y., Voom sub Sean Motta said he already receives HD programming from Cablevision and DirecTV.

Motta said he expects other Voom subs will jump to EchoStar, which charges less up-front for programming and equipment. EchoStar rolled out the welcome mat to Voom customers on Thursday, pitching six free months of HDTV programming and high-definition receivers in up to two rooms at no charge to Voom subscribers who sign up for Dish Network.

DirecTV is also wooing Voom subs with offers of a $99 DirecTV HD system, after a $200 rebate, plus three months of free HD programming.

Yeah I like it. :D

My thanks to Steve at Multichannel for the shoutouts.

So far it seems that out of the 21 VOOM Channels there are a few they seem to be pushing to have life after the death of the VOOM DBS Service.

The ones I know of are:

MonstersHD
Worldsports HD
Auction HD

Anyone else hear anything?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yeah I like it. :D

My thanks to Steve at Multichannel for the shoutouts.

So far it seems that out of the 21 VOOM Channels there are a few they seem to be pushing to have life after the death of the VOOM DBS Service.

The ones I know of are:

MonstersHD
Worldsports HD
Auction HD

Anyone else hear anything?

I hope that's a joke WorldCinema, Filmfest, Divine aren't on your list...

Yeah I've heard about the continuations as well.

It is interesting about the whole Time Warner/Adelphia name drop on the monsters website.

Also the rumblings Charlie has made about not being able to carry the voom content until they swtich to MPEG4.

I think the voom content will resurface but it wont be a smooth transtion. Probably the earliest it would be on Dish is 2006, so we're talking about an 8 month downtime there. I have no clue about cable carriage

Scott Greczkowski said:
Motta said he expects other Voom subs will jump to EchoStar, which charges less up-front for programming and equipment.

...so Sean has been a Echostar planted troll all these years... :eek: lol

Bilodeaumj said:

Sean is 100% correct in my opinion. E* offered me HD DVR 942 and HD 811 for $250 installation and $200 credits for programming. D* is not even close. And I don't want to buy soon to be obsolete TivoHD for $1000 and another regular HD receiver for $300 from D*, even with $200 rebate. It just doesn't make any sense now. Maybe when D* will release MPEG4 receivers and will actually add HD content with good PQ then it can be another story.

I was wondering just the other day if Auction, Ultra, Rush, Rave, Gallery, Equater and Worldsport would continue shooting new content into May.

Now it appears that at least some of these channels will continue to produce shows during May.

This means that the VOOM21 (or some of the 21) will be peddled.

We should know something in a few days, one way or the other.

Seems to me that Dish should keep broadcasting them from that existing VOOM sat they bought until the deal is completely done and the FCC is happy. It would be a breeze for them to later pick up most of the VOOM subs when they finally go full MPEG4 and offer HD locals with the spot beams.

But, hey, what do I know?

I'll be watching VOOM until the very end. So sad. I know it's "only TV", but it's still a sad time for HD lovers.

David Dietzel said:
I was wondering just the other day if Auction, Ultra, Rush, Rave, Gallery, Equater and Worldsport would continue shooting new content into May.
well i have cablevision and on channel 174 its the metro stories channel, pretty much every show at the end say produeced by UltraHD. Even though on cablevision its not in hd.

Bilodeaumj said:

That's funny.... :D :D :D I had E* for a long time and I still have them only with the HD Pack and a 6000u receiver. I just recently made the switch to D* with their HDTIVO as well. I had the $$$ to invest on the HDTIVO but I know that if I did not out of the two DBS providers, E* is cheaper for HD folks who want a HD DVR. Now you know that your local cable company probably can provide you with a lease HD DVR for less money but if that is not the case and you are looking at DBS, the cheaper one is E*. However, when it comes to getting a new provider, do not consider only this factor. There are other factors for which I personally dislike E* as a company and was why I decided to downgrade them to just HD pack. I still have VOOM and will have it until it goes dark. So I hope that explains my statement.

I'm planning on DirecTV for these reasons:

1. I like Tivo a lot better than the Dish Network home grown DVRs.
2. DirecTV seems to have big plans to HD capacity in the future.

I asked DirecTV about if I was to get an HD DirecTivo, what would happen when they upgrade to MPEG4, and I was told that DirecTV would upgrade the receiver, especially if I had their monthly service plan, but I am still wary of it. I am afraid they will just put the new HD channels on MPEG4, and then say that I can still receive the same channels I could, I just have to buy a new receiver to be able to get the new channels. I wish they would add MPEG4 capability to the DirecTivo so that I didn't have to worry about this!

Wow. I feel like such an outsider now. I just could not go through another year of what I went through last year with E* and there seems to be a large ground swell for E* around here now.

I loved VOOM...I really did. but I had to have continued D* service and that doesn't seem to be very popular here these days.

wase4711 said:
well, the popular decision isn't usually the correct one...Didn't Bush win the popular vote last year?????
Well, that makes up for not winning it the first time. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)