Vooms Sues Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The issue isn't the quality of the product (and 15 channels of 24/7 HD ain't hay), it's how the contract between Dish and VOOM is written. If it specifically says that the VOOM channels must be present in every HD package that Dish offers, then VOOM has a good case.

I suspect that "reasonable performance" will come into play. It's never cut and dried. It will drag on for a while, and then they'll probably (hopefully) come to an out of court settlement.

I'm a bit confused. The way I read this, Voom is suing because Dish moved them to the HD Ultimate tier when it started offering the $10 Essentials. And, a judge has issued a temporary injunction preventing Dish Network from doing that.

If that's the case, then why is Voom not available to Essential customers per the judge's order?

If I'm reading this wrong, then were there plans for Dish to further separate Voom from HD Ultimate that didn't happen because of the judge's order? And is that why Voom is a part of HD Ultimate?

I'm a bit confused. The way I read this, Voom is suing because Dish moved them to the HD Ultimate tier when it started offering the $10 Essentials. And, a judge has issued a temporary injunction preventing Dish Network from doing that.

If that's the case, then why is Voom not available to Essential customers per the judge's order?

If I'm reading this wrong, then were there plans for Dish to further separate Voom from HD Ultimate that didn't happen because of the judge's order? And is that why Voom is a part of HD Ultimate?
I only have AMT 100 and HD Essential pack for $10 ,and I still get Voom! Have since the first day the package became available.Don't know why ,But don't know why everyone else is paying $20 when for $10 I'm only getting 5 less HD channels.

Ah, ok.... so you DO get Voom with HD Essentials because of the judge's order. That clarifies it.

I now wonder if Dish is having problems with getting some additional HD up (like Smithsonian and MGM) because they want to only throw those in HD Ultimate also and the channels want to be a part of HD essentials. *shrug*

As long as I can still get my MonstersHD I don't care.

Same with Kung Fu Channel for me. I'm trying to collect all of the Zatoichi - Blind Swordsman movies---I think I'm up to 15 or so.

Please ZOOM, hang in there until you show all of ZATOICHI!!

But at least you dont see the same program on the Discovery Channels repeated over and over week in and week out like you do on the VOOM channels.

One of the Voom channels --"Worldsport" -- has been showing a seniors' tennis tournament from 2006 repeatedly ad nauseum. And many of their Rave concerts go back several years. So it isn't just over and over again week in and week out, it's over and over again year in and year out...

Some of their programming is very good and there are no commercials -- stretch-o-vision, standard definition or high definition. They just need to consolidate some of their channels so they don't have to have all this repetitive programming...

One of the Voom channels --"Worldsport" -- has been showing a seniors' tennis tournament from 2006 repeatedly ad nauseum. And many of their Rave concerts go back several years. So it isn't just over and over again week in and week out, it's over and over again year in and year out...

Some of their programming is very good and there are no commercials -- stretch-o-vision, standard definition or high definition. They just need to consolidate some of their channels so they don't have to have all this repetitive programming...
Exactly, 3 channels would be enough!

Same with Kung Fu Channel for me. I'm trying to collect all of the Zatoichi - Blind Swordsman movies---I think I'm up to 15 or so.

Please ZOOM, hang in there until you show all of ZATOICHI!!

I agree, I really like the Zatoichi movies, saw the very first one a couple of weeks ago and then saw one with the main character with white/gray hair....... I think it was the last one made in the 1980's ichi had just got out of Jail..... I also agree that they repeat way to much when I went HD last May there seemed to be more variety in shows and then all of a sudden same for show all night long:(:(:(

Exactly, 3 channels would be enough!

Why would E* which owns Voom do that?. Then they would be - 12 HD channels. Do you think the marketting department would be happy with that.

E* lists VS/Golf as two HD channels and you guys would like them to consolidate Voom channels. :)

Stick a fork in VOOM, it's done

VOOM continues to exist only because Echostar agreed to carry its suite of channels in exchange for 20% ownership. It was a 15-year deal, as outlined in the 2006 Annual Report of VOOM's creator and 80% owner, the Rainbow HD Holdings division of Cablevision Systems:[FONT=&quot]

"Under the terms of the affiliation arrangements with EchoStar covering the VOOM HD Networks for a 15 year term, if Rainbow HD Holdings fails to spend $100 million per year, up to a maximum of $500 million in the aggregate (which $100 million annual amount may be reduced to no less than $38 million per year, to the extent that the number of offered channels is less than 21) on its service offerings, EchoStar may terminate the affiliation agreement."

The lawsuit signals that Cablevision is afraid Echostar/Dish Network will terminate that agreement. When Dish Network agreed to buy VOOM's Rainbow-1 satellite and carry its channels, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VOOM's 21 channels were temporarily reduced to 10 and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]later expanded to the 15 channels offered today. They were eye-candy place-holders in their day, when they were just about the only national channels offered exclusively in High Definition. That time has passed, and VOOM has outlived its usefulness to viewers and to any other cable or satellite operators that might seriously consider carrying the channels, knowing that 20% of what they're paying is going to a competitor that wants to steal their subscribers. [/FONT]

And paying more $$$ for it. :p Or does directv now have a $29.99 hd only pak too? :D

How is the picture quality on Bravo, Biography, FX, SciFi, Spike, USA, CNN, CNBC, Fox Business, Weather Channel, Speed and Tennis? Oh yea, you don't get those channels for $29.99;)

E* lists VS/Golf as two HD channels and you guys would like them to consolidate Voom channels. :)

That's a great strategy. If VS/Golf counts as 2 HD channels, then 15 VOOMs on 3 should still count as 15 HD channels with a ton of bandwidth saved. While we're at it, split MonstersHD into a separate channel per distinct movie and you'd get, what, 10 more HD channels for no additional bandwidth? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)