VPN AND LOCALS

flody1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
Il. USA
Will using a vpn on firestick , computer etc cause local to go away. Ist time to use one and all locals gone ??

Will using a vpn on firestick , computer etc cause local to go away. Ist time to use one and all locals gone ??
Which VPN are you using?? On most of them, you have the ability to Whitelist apps so if you do have issues, just whitelist the app you use for locals

Which VPN are you using?? On most of them, you have the ability to Whitelist apps so if you do have issues, just whitelist the app you use for locals
Using Ip Vanish , talking about locals on Hopper 3 Dish Network, thank you

Using Ip Vanish , talking about locals on Hopper 3 Dish Network, thank you
A VPN doesn't affect other devices it's not installed on unless you install it on your router. And FYI, check out SurfShark. MUCH better and much faster than IP Vanish.

Reactions: TheKrell
Are you receiving the locals with your OTA module or with Dish satellite. A VPN should not interfere with either one.
I have both ota and Dish sat. I had the vpn on my desktop, which must control the router ip . I turned it off on the desktop vpn / unpluged Hopper3 and the channels came back. Must be able to use on other devices only ,,or turn wifi off on hopper3

Is there a trick to turning internet off to Hopper3 . No internet ethernet hooked up/ turn off wifi but it will reset/ have read to put in wrong password lol

Is there a trick to turning internet off to Hopper3 . No internet ethernet hooked up/ turn off wifi but it will reset/ have read to put in wrong password lol
Hit home 3 times, so you're on the Diagnostics Screen. Then drop down to #2 - Networking and then click 7 for Network Details and hit Info, Recall on your remote. A VPN on your desktop will not affect the router, btw. The signal goes to the router before it goes to your desktop. and the stream to your Hopper has nothing to do with the stream to your Desktop. Not to mention, locals come via Satellite signal or OTA Antenna. The Internet has nothing to do with it so it's not possible for a VPN to affect local programming on your Hopper

Hit home 3 times, so you're on the Diagnostics Screen. Then drop down to #2 - Networking and then click 7 for Network Details and hit Info, Recall on your remote. A VPN on your desktop will not affect the router, btw. The signal goes to the router before it goes to your desktop. and the stream to your Hopper has nothing to do with the stream to your Desktop. Not to mention, locals come via Satellite signal or OTA Antenna. The Internet has nothing to do with it so it's not possible for a VPN to affect local programming on your Hopper
Thank you , all very much. I have IpVanish on ( desktop ) and Hopper3 locals are ok yet. What are the odds that Dec 17, 2020 when I 1st installed this that Dish had trouble w/ networks . That notice was up that day that they knew that the networks where down r something like that on every local i get from Sat. I am on Chicago VPN IP now. I will wait and see if they leave again. Getting new Roku Ultra today to work with my Firestick 4K/

What if they use the internet to determine his location.?.... much like dtv used phonelines for season ticket in the past

What if they use the internet to determine his location.?.... much like dtv used phonelines for season ticket in the past
Dish does not use the Internet to determine your receiver's location. I'm about 100 miles from my current service address and still getting the locals from the service address. The Internet connection my Hopper is using is getting an IP from about 200 miles in a different direction

If you use a desktop/laptop app for your VPN access it will not effect your Dish receiver. If you have the VPN installed on your router, likely using OpenVPN, you must first assign your Hopper a static IP address in the router and then go to the page in the OpenVPN settings and exclude the Hopper's IP address from going through the VPN.

As posted earlier. The hopper does not use your ip for location. You locals are tied to your service address dma.

Ip location can affect streaming of certain programs on the hopper since streaming can be region restricted .

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Howard Simmons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)