VU120R antenna

dapack5

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Well after asking questions,reading the advise and then checking the old wallet,i replaced my 20+ year old Winegard U-630 antenna with 2 of these ( bought them both for less than 40.00 dollars total ) i stacked these antennas and didn't get them set to identical locations at first and they still worked pretty decent! last weekend i finally felt good enough to go up on the roof and lower the mast and aim these 2 antennas the identical direction and even though i have been told and told that i wcould not receive channel 9 VHF with a UHF antenna,let me tell you this. I have a solid signal reading on my local CBS ( channel 11 / 9 digital HD ) of 100%. i can also receive WP beach , miami , Tampa and Bradenton,Fl HD channels now. so i guess over all for i believe it amounted to about 18.00 per antenna on sale i didn't do too bad! i also have the radioshack 15 to 30 db adjustable preamp too,that didn't work real well with my Winegard

well i guess a made a bad boo boo the antennas are the U 120 R from RS not the VU 120 R :eek: but they still produce the results i mentioned above

The U120 is like the U75 but 8 1/2 FT long. I have one and it is as good as a CM 4228 on chs 30 to 50, but not as good on low UHF and 7-13

oljim said:
The U120 is like the U75 but 8 1/2 FT long. I have one and it is as good as a CM 4228 on chs 30 to 50, but not as good on low UHF and 7-13

that's odd because i can receive these analog channels using the 2 antennas:

channel 7 Miami
channel 8 Tampa
channel 9 Sarasota
occasionally i can also get
channel 2 Miami
channel 3 Tampa

using the RS adjustable pre amp

The only thing I would do is:

replace the rs amp with a Winegard hdp-269 preamp mounted and installed at the antenna. The only thing you would use in the home would be splitters.

The hdp-269 preamp works miracles in the suburbs with no overload and much less noise than your rs amp.

Rick, I had the opportunity to drive to Tulsa yesterday. And I came close to my broadcast towers, so I looked at the mileage and it is in fact 91 miles from the towers to my home, and it is pretty much at straightline drive. I anticipated 75+ miles from the towers before, and this impresses me even more what the 91XG can do! :)

ralfyguy said:
Rick, I had the opportunity to drive to Tulsa yesterday. And I came close to my broadcast towers, so I looked at the mileage and it is in fact 91 miles from the towers to my home, and it is pretty much at straightline drive. I anticipated 75+ miles from the towers before, and this impresses me even more what the 91XG can do! :)

what is the height of your antenna? i.e. on a tower or ? i am trying to find a 30 to ft tower and i'm having no luck! i talked to 3 different dealers and they have told me same thing! " i will be glad to sell you the tower of your choice,but,you need to realize that shipping this tower is not cheap" then the kicker shipping ranges from 350.00 to 900.00 and that's more than the tower itself!

It's just mounted on the roof. About 22 feet above ground and I live on top of a hill with 40 feet trees in front of the antenna, about 40 feet away. That's why I got trouble sometimes in windy conditions, but the signal is the better, the worse the weather is. I get the highest signals when it rains hard. The worst signals I get around noon to afternoon with fair skies and wind. Then I experience dropouts sometimes on some channels, and it's not always the same channels. One days it's one channel, on a different day in same weather conditions it's a different channel dropping out. This week I had problems with RF55. Last week it was RF56. The week before it was RF22, and before that RF42. Kinda funny though.