W5 fixed system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I will be putting up a W5 fixed system for someone I know in the next month. We ordered a Fortec Star 6 foot fixed dish a DSR 410 and a Geosat C band LNBF. My question is this since I never played with a C band LNBF, is there some kind of static settings or markings on the LNBF for zero like with a ku ones on an offset dish? Any input would be appreciated.

I have won over another cable subscriber over to c band. He can't wait to give cable the hee ho... :)

There will be an index mark for the 0 skew on the end of the housing similar to the ku band type. AMC18 is pretty easy to hit, even with a 6' dish.

The hardest part of the job will be getting the 410 to map once you get 105° dialed in. It would make the job easier if you could let the receiver download beforehand.

congrats on converting someone to the "good side"

the 6 footer will work just fine. I've pulled +8.0 ebno or higher on some channels. I know Mike Kohl has tried it too and worked fine and we're both a little farther north than you

There will be an index mark for the 0 skew on the end of the housing similar to the ku band type. AMC18 is pretty easy to hit, even with a 6' dish.

The hardest part of the job will be getting the 410 to map once you get 105° dialed in. It would make the job easier if you could let the receiver download beforehand.

Im getting the 410 shipped to me and will hook it up to my 12 foot and get it authorized & mapped ahead of time. Then it should be easy to set up by him since I'll have something to work with.

congrats on converting someone to the "good side"

the 6 footer will work just fine. I've pulled +8.0 ebno or higher on some channels. I know Mike Kohl has tried it too and worked fine and we're both a little farther north than you

I figure the 6 footer should be good for him. He's mostly interested in dumping Comcast which upped his bill from $50 to 80 dollars a month this year. I've been bragging about how I pay about $10 to $12 a month for quite a while to him. I GUESS IT FINALLY SUNK IN THE ONLY WAY TO GO IS A BUD :)

Ice you use the Geosat LNBF don't you? I know my 2 Ku ones I have have worked flawless for me and wonder how the C band performs? My C band is old school California Amp on an ADL servo feedhorn so LNBF's on C are new to me.

I have the dual one (until it broke from the dish falling off the table 3 or 4 times) and was one of the best units I worked with.

Well worth it. :)

I figure the 6 footer should be good for him. He's mostly interested in dumping Comcast which upped his bill from $50 to 80 dollars a month this year. I've been bragging about how I pay about $10 to $12 a month for quite a while to him. I GUESS IT FINALLY SUNK IN THE ONLY WAY TO GO IS A BUD :)

I love my service from skyvision, but exactly which channels do you get for only $12 a month?? The least inexpensive package for the DSR410 that he will be using is
Starz for $18 a month. The deluxe pack I get is still $32 a month if paid quarterly. It has about 50 channels.:)

I love my service from skyvision, but exactly which channels do you get for only $12 a month?? The least inexpensive package for the DSR410 that he will be using is
Starz for $18 a month. The deluxe pack I get is still $32 a month if paid quarterly. It has about 50 channels.:)

I myself don't have a 410, I have a DSR 922 (4DTV) I have a couple alacarts and 2 small packages that work with my viewing habits very well.

The 4DTV has even better pricing then the 410, but the 410 has way better pricing than cable and pizza.

Gotcha. I think it may be worth it to upgrade my setup to access the better pricing and some news channels. W5 only has Bloomburg:(:(

Gotcha. I think it may be worth it to upgrade my setup to access the better pricing and some news channels. W5 only has Bloomburg:(:(

With the 4D and a movable dish you command the sky's and get all the channels in DC2 subscribeable to.

The 410 is great to get your interest peaked though.

Got The 410

Got the 410 receiver here and hooked it up to my bud. Got a green lock right away. Also ALTV was working on Ch 205. Left it sit there an hour and the guide loaded. Didn't even call SRL yet. A few days from when Im ready to do alignment at this guys house we are going to load the programming so I can test it and make sure its good to go for alignment day.

Noticed the 410 shows PPV channels in the guide and others not mapped in the 922, interesting.

When you guys get these 410's from e-bay etc it seem they don't want to map w5 from what I read here. With the properly set up 410 it works nice.

I would recommend the 410 to whoever may want to get one it's not a bad toy. :)

thanks for that info. My neighbor is getting really tired of DN and is intriqued by my setup. but I don't think he wants to go through all of the really fun stuff like peaking and moving and FTA etc. he just wants to come home, plop on the couch and veg in front of a western..
a 410 might be a good choice for him to dump DN.. and I think I know where I can get a dish for him too ;-)

thanks for that info. My neighbor is getting really tired of DN and is intriqued by my setup. but I don't think he wants to go through all of the really fun stuff like peaking and moving and FTA etc. he just wants to come home, plop on the couch and veg in front of a western..
a 410 might be a good choice for him to dump DN.. and I think I know where I can get a dish for him too ;-)

Once I get the system installed and up and running I'll post my results. The Dish is at my friends house in a box, got it yesterday. I have the receiver and will be getting the LNBF next week. We have to plan how were going to mount it since he want's it on his flat roof. Im taking an engineer friend over there next week to draw up idea's for mounting then we'll take it from there.

Get your neighbor off Charlie and over to our side. The more the better :D:D

TVRO

the dish isnt too hard to put together and can be done by one person if needed (but two people would be better)

Are you pole mounting or just using the stock frame that comes with it?

TVRO

the dish isnt too hard to put together and can be done by one person if needed (but two people would be better)

Are you pole mounting or just using the stock frame that comes with it?

It's going to use the stock AZ EL mount since it will be fixed on W5. Are there adjustments on the feed legs to set the focal distance and F/D ratio?

not really. Its all trial and error

The elevation slide bar has no numbers so what I did (again yours being fixed makes this moot) but I found true south and marked the elevation slide bar with a notch. Went to 137 and put a notch there. Put a couple for 121 and 72 so I can quickly access

Being in IL you have a good amount of sats at or near the same elevation...you might want to try if you have an analog box nearby to get Shepherds Chapel on G4/16 first then go from there.

I'd measure the arm on mine but after the dish fell off the table I got new braces on it and they were a little shorter so the dish sits back farther (and the number would be off)

duh! I have another dish that is different (and stock model) and probably would be the same as what you got

I measured from the top of the bolt to where the pieces come together and its 14"

That dish is on 99W which for me is at 38.1 elevation in Minneapolis. I used Chicago and 105W and its 38.5 elevation so its very close

Attachments

• IM000712.jpg
    IM000712.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 329
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)