waiver for out of market locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sori4mvp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I do get my own locals but was wondering if there is any chance to get a waiver approved. I know 11 years ago on a prior account i got approved for cbs and abc but nbc and fix wouldnt. Anyone have experience with this?

I do get my own locals but was wondering if there is any chance to get a waiver approved. I know 11 years ago on a prior account i got approved for cbs and abc but nbc and fix wouldnt. Anyone have experience with this?

As long as your market has locals the answer is NO.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

And if i "move" to a family members address on long island are wwor and wpix spot beam like i used to remember last time i moved and not available if you are not in that area?

And if i "move" to a family members address on long island are wwor and wpix spot beam like i used to remember last time i moved and not available if you are not in that area?

They are on spot beams, so it depends upon how far away you are. What is your zip code? Be careful, though. A Satguys member just posted that he got caught moving. Apparently someone at the address he was using signed up for Directv, too!

They are on spot beams, so it depends upon how far away you are. What is your zip code? Be careful, though. A Satguys member just posted that he got caught moving. Apparently someone at the address he was using signed up for Directv, too!

Yeah I saw that, it's my Aunt's address and I've used it before, so fortunately she knows the deal. I'm in NC, so I'm way too far to get those spot beams. When I've "moved" before it was a no go on WPIX and WWOR.

Do they open up the DNS(East) channels for you if have an address that is in the NYC dma? Also, are you able to record on DVR the DNS(East) channels or do they say "Not authorized"

There are 3 different channel numbering for the NY stations...and it all depends on how you qualify

1. In the NY DMA (or an addy in there)? They show as the normal channels 2,4,5,9,11,13 etc
2. Some markets that are getting HD locals soon actually can get NY stations temporarily. There have been threads on it. Those are 60-64 (PBS National is 65)
3. You qualify for distants (RV/Semi/no locals and legit qualify)...then they're in the 380-390 area

There are 3 different channel numbering for the NY stations...and it all depends on how you qualify

1. In the NY DMA (or an addy in there)? They show as the normal channels 2,4,5,9,11,13 etc
2. Some markets that are getting HD locals soon actually can get NY stations temporarily. There have been threads on it. Those are 60-64 (PBS National is 65)
3. You qualify for distants (RV/Semi/no locals and legit qualify)...then they're in the 380-390 area

What I mean't was there are channels, 390(CBSE),392(NBCE),396(ABCE),398(FOXE), all which are just CONUS map-ups of WCBS,WNBC,WABC and WNYW out of NYC. Right now when I tune to them I get "Not Subscribed 721". If you have an NYC dma address, do they unblock these channels? And yes I know about the lower channels(2,4,5 and 7), but aren't those the spotbeam versions of the channels?

Last edited:
The Big 4 are CONUS

I assume the 390's are available and just remapped to either the low numbers or the 60's. The Big 4 for NY & LA are on 99 conus just like other HD channels

The Big 4 are CONUS

I assume the 390's are available and just remapped to either the low numbers or the 60's. The Big 4 for NY & LA are on 99 conus just like other HD channels

I always thought that the lower version(2,4,5,7) was just for the NYC spotbeam. Also I can't see the DNS channels numbered in the 60s, I have an HD system with the multi-lnb large dish.

When I had moved to a NY address I got the local big 4 on the lower channels 2 (WCBS) 4 (WNBC) 5(WNYW-FOX) 7- WABC. Also if I'm not mistaken the NY Locals were in the clear in the 380's or 390's or whatever it was.

When I had moved to a NY address I got the local big 4 on the lower channels 2 (WCBS) 4 (WNBC) 5(WNYW-FOX) 7- WABC. Also if I'm not mistaken the NY Locals were in the clear in the 380's or 390's or whatever it was.

That makes sense, since it would be quite pointless(and maybe cost deterrent) for them to uplink them to spotbeam, when they are already on CONUS.

Also I can't see the DNS channels numbered in the 60s,
unless your market is one of them that Directv sets up that way you wont see them.

Last year there were some markets that D* was going to launch in HD. They got "blanket waivers" from some stations in that market to import the NY station until the locals were launched. Here is that thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...giving-distants-some-markets-temporarily.html

So as example Parkersburg, WV which only has NBC & Fox in the market. Until those stations were launched folks got WCBS & WABC from NY via the balnket waiver rule. They were on 60 & 61 as example. When Parkersburg was launched those stations went away and they got their "locals" (CBS & ABC were from a neighboring DMA)

Status
Please reply by conversation.