Wal Mart to Carry HD DVD Players and Movies

Just called around to about 5 local Wal-Marts..and spoke to 2 different Managers and was told that they would get these players sometime between 1st of May to early June....and was told they would have a special area and some kind of special floor setup for the HDDVD player along with the movies..it was so important that they all told me they had a meeting over the HDDVD alone:D..THIS should help HDDVD thrive!!!

If the largest company in the world is pushing HD DVD, Blue ray could be doomed. I wonder if they'll carry the way more expensive Blue-Ray as a stand alone and not in the PS3? Price is always a big concern with them and there customers.

This is a good sign. I'll never forget when I first saw DVDs in Wal-Mart. They had a whole 20 titles! I knew then that the format was going to catch on. Their rental store at the front started carrying them soon after. First it was a shelf, then another, and so on until almost the whole store was nothing but DVD!

tHE DISPLAY IS SUPPOSE TO BE OFF TO ITSELF IN THE ELECTRONICS AREA...It is supposed to contain all the new HD DVD players along with HD DVD movies and it's going to be a huge floor display

Last edited:
teamerickson said:
If the largest company in the world is pushing HD DVD, Blue ray could be doomed. I wonder if they'll carry the way more expensive Blue-Ray as a stand alone and not in the PS3? Price is always a big concern with them and there customers.

Sadly true; rarely quality and/or performance.

teamerickson said:
Walmart looks to be carrying the HD-D1. HD-D1? Anybody know the differences between this and the HD-A1
As I understand, HD-D1 is basically the same player as HD-A1, just a slightly different case.
It is common for big retailers like Walmart and BestBuy to get exclusive model names/numbers. Not only they differentiate themselves from others this way, but also it helps them avoid competitive price-matching. ;)

dfergie said:
Talked with the department head at my local Wal Mart, Early May at the soonest and due to the area demographics they may or may not have HD DVD here at this store...

Are you going to get one? What would be your first movie?

Be a bit as I just bought another Pc... first movie would be Apollo 13 maybe.. I keep missing it on UHD when it shows... or maybe the Last Samurai as I liked it... When Top Gun or Days of Thunder comes out I'm there Lol...I also have a lot of wiggle room having a 622 and keeping my 921 dvr's so stuff I really want to keep for a bit I can, (shuttle launch)

I'm going to hang out for at least 6 months. I've already got enough HD content to that I can't keep up with it anyways.... ;) I'm off to order another 320gb SATA drive.

The players are cheaper at Walmart... by $1.99 ($498 vs. $499.99) :D
Movies are much cheaper at Walmart! I saw them priced at $18 vs. $25-29 at Best Buy. However, they don't always have them on the release date, like BB does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)